Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone elses dogs do this also.

When I walk Shorty during daytime, he is very non-chalant, does'nt care whats going on and is a goof lol... But when I walk him at night time its like he is a completely different dog, he seems like he is on very high alert, ears curled up over his head erect, and walks with head held up high, sniffing and checking every direction and behind him as to if he thinks someone is following him lol.

Just curious to see how other peoples dogs act on walks.

Cant wait to hear :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Mine do that too , one night It wasnt that dark out but was really dark in the forest we had walked to the far side and when i turned to go back he wouldnt stop growling at the trail { i couldnt see well was pretty dark at that time} but he was obviously upset over something we ended uptaking the long way home and walking the roadway home. They alll seem to carry themselfs different though when I walk in the evening vs walking mid day. Figured maybe they sensed my apprehentions {sp?} since it isnt the nicest city here.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
hahaha Gargamel is totally the same way. He is looking for people to sniff and to meet people on walk, but at night, he is always on alert of people walking, cars that stop and park near us. The night before trash pickup is the WORST he acts all tough checking behind all the barrels people have put out the night before, lol. Flags used to freak him out, but now they only get his attention at night and he walks by super slow, lol

When my sister goes to see him and if she walks him at night when I am at work he low growls, she has told me, when people are near and he cant see them. He doesn't do it with me though, not sure how come. If I say hi to the person I can see him relax, if they don't acknowledge me back Mel gets anxious again it seems. He must have bad night vision :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Figured maybe they sensed my apprehentions {sp?} since it isnt the nicest city here.
that's what I wondered too, since Mel does it with my sister and not me, she is always worried unleashed dogs are gonna sneak up and I think she is anxious when she walks him. Thankfully its never happened to her without me there, but she is so nervous if it does happen I guess Mel feels that vibe from her. During the day she feels better cause she can see if something is coming.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahaha Gargamel is totally the same way. He is looking for people to sniff and to meet people on walk, but at night, he is always on alert of people walking, cars that stop and park near us. The night before trash pickup is the WORST he acts all tough checking behind all the barrels people have put out the night before, lol. Flags used to freak him out, but now they only get his attention at night and he walks by super slow, lol

When my sister goes to see him and if she walks him at night when I am at work he low growls, she has told me, when people are near and he cant see them. He doesn't do it with me though, not sure how come. If I say hi to the person I can see him relax, if they don't acknowledge me back Mel gets anxious again it seems. He must have bad night vision :)
Maybe Gargamel feels safer when he is with you? Knowing you are the alpha.. And when with your sister is a little more dominant/cautious. And that is too funny about the barrels and flags lol.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine do that too , one night It wasnt that dark out but was really dark in the forest we had walked to the far side and when i turned to go back he wouldnt stop growling at the trail { i couldnt see well was pretty dark at that time} but he was obviously upset over something we ended uptaking the long way home and walking the roadway home. They alll seem to carry themselfs different though when I walk in the evening vs walking mid day. Figured maybe they sensed my apprehentions {sp?} since it isnt the nicest city here.
Hmm that is weird about him growling at the trail, they definately since things that we do not! Def woulda went the long way too lol. What city do you live in?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
im in surrey bc. the neighborhood is nice but there city isnt really lol , and we are about 10 minutes from where alot of shootings have gone down and such. I trust my dogs instict I figured there is something there that is making him uncomfortable even if I cant see it he prob feels it. Alot of wildlife here very wellcould have just been a coyote or something but all the same really id prefer not to run into those in the dark forest either lol.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Ruger did this, but he was a ba dog that begged to ne worked in pp so I guess it made since. Miss my boy :(

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im in surrey bc. the neighborhood is nice but there city isnt really lol , and we are about 10 minutes from where alot of shootings have gone down and such. I trust my dogs instict I figured there is something there that is making him uncomfortable even if I cant see it he prob feels it. Alot of wildlife here very wellcould have just been a coyote or something but all the same really id prefer not to run into those in the dark forest either lol.
Oh Okay! Just over Labor day weekend I was in Eastern Washington staying at my girlfriends house and we went down and camped on the Keller River like 10 miles from B.C. So Beautiful out there. Do you know where that river is? Next time im up that way. Will have to stop by with Shorty an say hi :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
no not sure where that river is , but deff next time comming up this way you have to come say hi , would love to meet you and your dog :)

Reactions: dylroche1

·
Registered
106 Posts
tshe is always worried unleashed dogs are gonna sneak up and I think she is anxious when she walks him. Thankfully its never happened to her without me there, but she is so nervous if it does happen I guess Mel feels that vibe from her. During the day she feels better cause she can see if something is coming.
I actually had an unleashed dog run out of someone's yard 1 night.....scared the :poop: out of me. It was the 1st time it happened. Cookie turned towards the dog and had this crazy-zoned out look in her eyes with a low growl. The other dog just stopped in the road & just started barking. It looked like a lab/sheppard mix. I was glad the dog didn't come any closer. And it didn't help that people were standing around watching to see if I was going to let her off leash. This guy was like "I would've let her rip that dog's :curse:" I just smh.

Anyways...Cookie is always on alert day or night and Bear is only at night but he will go nuts if he saw a rabbit or skunk lol

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually had an unleashed dog run out of someone's yard 1 night.....scared the :poop: out of me. It was the 1st time it happened. Cookie turned towards the dog and had this crazy-zoned out look in her eyes with a low growl. The other dog just stopped in the road & just started barking. It looked like a lab/sheppard mix. I was glad the dog didn't come any closer. And it didn't help that people were standing around watching to see if I was going to let her off leash. This guy was like "I would've let her rip that dog's :curse:" I just smh.

Anyways...Cookie is always on alert day or night and Bear is only at night but he will go nuts if he saw a rabbit or skunk lol
At least the outcome turned out good and you, nor your dog got hurt :]. But yeah that happened to me when I was younger with my cousin, we were walking in my grandmas neighborhood. Luckily I was carrying about a 3 foot stick and about as thick as a bat. A black shepard/lab mix charged me and my cousin showings its teeth growling. I played baseball growing up and swung at that dog with all my might and clocked it up side the head... Staggered back and walked away.. Realllyyy slow lol. Owners were outside and didnt say one word. Sorry if that makes anyone mad. Def wasnt gonna chance getting bit.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no not sure where that river is , but deff next time comming up this way you have to come say hi , would love to meet you and your dog :)
Im sorry not the Keller River, It was the Powell River lol. Got it mixed up :p.. And yes I will definately let you know when I do!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
oh ok ya i know where the powell river is :)

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Aww what happened to him?
Jerk went and got adopted lol,
its ok I didn't/don't have the right set up for a pp dog atm. Once I buy my own home I think ill look into a good ban dog or something of the like then.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Maybe Gargamel feels safer when he is with you? Knowing you are the alpha.. And when with your sister is a little more dominant/cautious. And that is too funny about the barrels and flags lol.
that's what I am thinking (or hoping, lol)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our Suzie does this as well...seems like she's more in tune with surroundings at night. We don't live in a totally safe area so I am guessing this plays a role to some degree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts