Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a teething one month pitbull that keeps nipping and biting my ankles which is painful. I managed to somewhat get him to lick my hands now instead of biting it gradually, but he's not learning to not bite my ankle. I use the "NO!" approach, but he never lets go, so instead I use two shoes and slap them together while he's biting me and he lets go. I just wanna know if my method is ok(I'm all about positive reinforcement) and or if they are other methods that work for you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
If your pup is only one month old, he is too young to be away from mama and his siblings and has not learned bite inhibition yet. This is usually taught by mom and siblings at this age so you're going to have an uphill battle. The best way to handle it is a loud yelp followed by no and then walking away and ignoring him (for as long as you can). That's how mom and siblings would do it. They would yelp and then ignore him. He's very very very young so be patient but he should learn pretty quick if you're consistent. Your method is ok but it's likely that the only reason he's letting go is that he's startled, plus it's hard to be consistent unless you always walk around with two shoes in your hands!

~Jess

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your pup is only one month old, he is too young to be away from mama and his siblings and has not learned bite inhibition yet. This is usually taught by mom and siblings at this age so you're going to have an uphill battle. The best way to handle it is a loud yelp followed by no and then walking away and ignoring him (for as long as you can). That's how mom and siblings would do it. They would yelp and then ignore him. He's very very very young so be patient but he should learn pretty quick if you're consistent. Your method is ok but it's likely that the only reason he's letting go is that he's startled, plus it's hard to be consistent unless you always walk around with two shoes in your hands!

~Jess
I honestly was planning on it! Ok, and how long should I do the yelp and no method for? Up to 8 weeks and then switch the method to redirecting to a toy?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
You can start redirecting now along with the yelp. Keep it up as long as he's nipping. Hopefully by 8-12 weeks he stops or doesn't nip/bite so hard and has learned what toys to chew on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've managed to stop or decrease the biting of my hands, instead he licks them now. He also was licking my toes, so i'm assuming that's some progress right there. Only issue now is my ankle :/, he just bites on it so hard and pretty much scrapped it a bit. Hopefully he will slow down on that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts