Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So vinny is doing okay on the potty training and the crate training is great he loves being in there and naps on his back and spread out lol he is doing okay on the sitting and down commands with treats of course lol i am trying to use the clicker along with the treats and he seems to do well.

the one thing that i am having a problem with is his nipping. he nips the kids and nips us adults as well. he has nipped my son on the face which i used a newspaper on him for that and he seemed very ashamed and went off to hide in his crate. i dont want to use that though because i want to respect him and him to do the same. i try closing his mouth but i guess he thinks im playing along.

the one thing he responds to is me saying "aahhhh ahh ahh vinny (sucking my teeth)" but when the kids are around he tunes me out lol

any advice? his little teeth get you good! my previous pits, well i had no kids so it was easier to train and deal with them but with the distraction of the kids i seem invisible. :hammer:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Mouthing is very common in the bully breeds. Smacking him with a newspaper is definitely not the answer. What I have always done for mouthing is:
#1- Play stops when mouthing occurs. No matter what, the game ends.
#2- I screech like he hurt me, so give a yelp when he bites, as that is how littermates alert each other that the play is too rough. After you yelp say "No bite" in a stern voice.
#3- If he stops and accepts that play has ended because he hurt you, then give him a toy that he can chew on and praise him when he redirects to the toy.
#4- If he just gets more riled up but the game ending and the yelp of pain, and keeps jumping on you and nipping, I would put him on his side, and hold him there until he settles down. Just hold him on his side gently, you can talk soothingly to him to calm him down, and then once he is calm, let him up, give him a toy, and praise him when he chews it.

·
Banned
307 Posts
This is what I like to do. I wait until the pup puts his mouth on me, then I stick my fingers in his mouth down his throat, as to gag him. I will do this as many times as I need to until the pup quits doing it. I say "no-bite" as I do it. Most dogs stop nipping and mouthing after about 5 times of doing this.
However, if you ever plan to use the dog for "sportwork" you may want to say "no" real loud and re-direct to a toy.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I think floor candy has the right approach to stopping the bitting behavior. I think it is very important to teach your kids and any guests how to handle that behavior. If everyone disciplines him the same way the dog will eventually get the message. I would probably tell the kids to use the screeching technique without any alpha rolling or phsyical discipline because eventually the dog will be stronger than them and you do not want it challenging them with its strength. Making the dog gag or putting your fingers down the throat to me is not a good idea, I have actually never heard of that and I am failing to see how the dog will see that as a punishment. Perhaps something uncomfortable being done to him and to stop it all it has to do is bite off the finger going down his throat. Just being honest with my opinion, and imagine telling your kids to stick their fingers in the dog's throat? I think the dog should have overall boundaries when playing with humans and the response or way of dealing with this behavior from any human should uniform, this will help the dog understand its wrong doings and will not confuse it. Rough playing with dog or playing tug of war should not be done until he understands his place in the family. Also until he is old enough to understand commands such as leave it, enough or out. Good luck to you !

·
Banned
307 Posts
Actually, it works. Not sure why, it just does. Of course, it only works on a pups play biting, not a dog biting out of aggression. On a soft pup yelling ouch or no may work, but on a medium to hard dog, you will likely need compulsion. Some people squeeze the muzzle, but this may only work if done forcefully, and if you do it too hard, you can mess up the puppy's "bite" or teeth alignment.
Other methods may work, but this one has worked quickly. An old trainer showed it to me, and you have to do it quickly, with proper timing. No, a child may not be able to do it, but a child probably won't have the timing to do the other methods correctly either.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Actually, it works. Not sure why, it just does. Of course, it only works on a pups play biting, not a dog biting out of aggression. On a soft pup yelling ouch or no may work, but on a medium to hard dog, you will likely need compulsion. Some people squeeze the muzzle, but this may only work if done forcefully, and if you do it too hard, you can mess up the puppy's "bite" or teeth alignment.
Other methods may work, but this one has worked quickly. An old trainer showed it to me, and you have to do it quickly, with proper timing. No, a child may not be able to do it, but a child probably won't have the timing to do the other methods correctly either.
Yea I think the most effective way is to learn to discipline the dog with verbal corrections, forceful corrections are def out of the question with a powerful dog that has huge pain tolerance, it is just not worth it for the sake of the dog and the people around it.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
I'm gonna be very blunt. If you strike a dog anywhere near it's face, the nipping behavior may be directed at YOUR face because you're teaching it that smacking a face is no big deal. The newspaper? That's if we were in the 50s.

Be consistent. Don't let him bite you, correct it and be CONSISTENT. Verbal commands do the trick

·
Registered
244 Posts
No bite and stop playing with him, that's how I got my dog to improve on his mouthing behavior, he's about 70% there, definitly one of the strongest willed dogs I have ever owned, just takes patience that's what I'm learning, I used to get mad and yell at him or smack him on the butt, patch just doesn't respond to it, the firm voice and the no playing with him action works best.......its weird my dogs mouths to be affectionate, I guess its a breed thing..........good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts