Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Blue is now 7 months old and the nipping won't stop!! I figured he would stop by now. It was really bad when we first got him(6 weeks old) and then we got it under control around 3-4 months old, but not for long cause he was right back at it in a couple weeks! We've tried everything, he is just so subborn! Any suggestions are welcome!!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
How did you stop it the first time? By 7 months it should be under control. It's not something he'll just grow out of either. I've seen plenty of adult dogs that still do it because they haven't been told otherwise as puppies.

If he's nipping when he plays what I would do is a firm "No" (try not to shout it just excites them) and stop playing. I never used to pull my hand away because then it becomes a game. Leave your hand (or whatever he's nipping) there until he stops doing it and then praise him for listening (this part is as important as the "No").

It's important you do this every time he nips. Dogs need repetition and consistency. If you're consistent it shouldn't take too long and you'll enjoy having him again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did it with a training collar, it wasn't a choke collar but something similar. A simple correction would stop him. Now not so much. He nips at our hands and barks at them when he wants to play...he wants to be chased (which he loves). Yea you are right about being consistent, I have tried ignoring him but never for more than a couple of days. I get very frustrated and give up...

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I get very frustrated and give up...
That's what most people do and then they end up with a nipping dog. Trust me, it really does make a big difference. If you ignore it, it won't go away.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
A firm loud NO bite or Yelp OUCH and redirection of the bad behavior to a toy like a rope or something else .. Normally though this bad behavior is usually broken or grown out of by the time the pup reaches 4 months of age . A training collar is not going to stop a dog/pup from mouthing. You can also try putting some lemon juice or bitter apple on your hand as he goes to nip he won't enjoy the taste to much. Because you got your pup @ 6 weeks he was taken a shy early from his mother and litter mates it's not usually recommended they leave until at least 8 weeks of age because they learn about bite inhibition and socialization from their litter mates and mother during this very crucial time.

Here is a good read that may help you

Teaching Bite Inhibition | Dog Star Daily

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
When it comes to this im very firm about it. I'll tell them no, roll the gums over on there teeth not too hard but to let them know that it doesnt feel good just like when they nip.. Its worked for me and my oldest never does anymore and my youngest is on his way and already rarely ever does!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
if he is not responding the the correct collar you had then you might want to try a prong collar, 7 months is an age where you might have to up the level of correction. Get a small prong collar the 14" size and if you need to you can get a few more prong depending on how big your dog is. It should fit tight and the collar should sit right under the neck not down on the base.

You had the right idea when he was younger and now time to be very firm nipping should not be at this age still. You also might have to keep him on leash in the house so you can catch him from nipping around the house.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks performance, that is exactly what we started today. Prong on and on a leas at all times. We are determined to get this under control. I'm very worried because you all confirmed what I was thinking...it's not normal and he should be passed this stage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts