Go Pitbull Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will be a dumb thread and im sorry for that !

I am starting the dog and breeder search , I know the breed(APBT) . I just need to know what bloodlines to look for,what specific thing on papers and which one,akc,ckc ?! I have no idea and im going to take some serious time ( until next summer,july maybe) , not just jumping at whatever pup comes my way .

My other pitbull I bought without knowing bloodlines and stuff,all I knew was that the parents had papers ,from what I was told anyways .But I posted all that b4 and dont want to start that again !

I thought ckc was mixed breeds :confused: I want to make the RIGHT choice,,I posted something similar before but never asked the questions !

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
akc is only am staffs , if looking for a APBT you want UKC or ADBA depending on style that you are looking for. If you explain what you are wanting the dog for Im sure they can help with actual bloodlines to check out . CKC is garbage IMO you can register just about anything with them so they arent very reliable when it comes to "pure bloods".

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
ukc or adba but if your gonna get another dog you have to be aware that they might not get along and be ok with crate and rotate and be able to stay calm and be able to break up a fight.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ukc or adba but if your gonna get another dog you have to be aware that they might not get along and be ok with crate and rotate and be able to stay calm and be able to break up a fight.
:goodpost:
I am very aware of crate and rotate as my pitbull was food aggressive when I first got her, shes fine now but I still feed the two little dogs seperate , I take no chances with a fight breaking out and I havent had problems after that . I watch when she is out with my two now and shes fine likes to play a little but I keep it very little cause shes bigger than them .

Also,I know DA is in the breed and if needed I will crate and rotate. My pitbull I have is crated at night and outside during the day (with supervision of course) . Im going to buy her a dog run this spring cause she loves outdoors ! :woof:

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well a few questions come to mind, Why are you wanting another pup? Are you wanting a well bred dog for work? For sport? Are you wanting a show bred dog or a pet dog? What is your drive that propels you to want another dog?

Reactions: bahamutt99

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
AKC - American Kennel Club - AmStaffs and Staffybulls
CKC - Canadian Kennel Club - AmStaffs and Staffybulls
CKC - Continental Kennel Club - anything with 4 legs, regardless of purity
UKC - United Kennel Club - legit APBT registry
ADBA - American Dog Breeders Association - legit APBT registry
AADR - All American Dog Registry - legit APBT registry, but not recognized by UKC or ADBA so those papers aren't transferable to the other two.
BFKC - Bona Fide Kennel Club - APBT registry focused on gamebred dogs
ABKC - American Bully Kennel Club - self explanatory

Or you could always not worry about the papers and just buy a dog you like. Or, you know, rescue one. Ask yourself why its so important to have a papered dog if you aren't looking to get into breeding or showing.

PBRC - Pit Bull Rescue Central

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
akc is only am staffs , if looking for a APBT you want UKC or ADBA depending on style that you are looking for. If you explain what you are wanting the dog for Im sure they can help with actual bloodlines to check out . CKC is garbage IMO you can register just about anything with them so they arent very reliable when it comes to "pure bloods".
:goodpost: and I have no idea,that why I was trying to see what I should get bloodline wise,it dosent matter to me really,I like the slim apbt,like the one I have ,all I know is that I dont want a bully .

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
check against the wind kennels... i like the dogs they produce, and i wanna to get one off of their 2013 breeding for some wp

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well a few questions come to mind, Why are you wanting another pup? Are you wanting a well bred dog for work? For sport? Are you wanting a show bred dog or a pet dog? What is your drive that propels you to want another dog?
I see your point, I have two elder dogs,one is over 9 the other about 7 or 8.

I have the time,space and funds for another . Im wanting a pet,I can fully pay for vet care,etc. and both my females are spayed . I have 3 dogs and the two elders wont be here for long,not that they can be replaced by any means.

The oldest one is a chi,who is a diabetic,the other small dog I adopted from the shelter,she is blind and has cancer and was badly abused . Although I thought about adopting a pitbull,I would rather raise my own like I did with Bailey and know what the background of them is .

I do not weight pull or anyting but my dogs are walked and everything and all of them are friendly I love the breed and am wanting another(in the future) not like today but next summer or winter ,I dont want to jump right in on it .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am wanting papers so I know im getting what I pay for,sorry if it sounds wrong but I have had mutts and purebreds , not that papers matter but I have been cheated on dogs before and told they was purebred,then when they get older they are some lab/shepard aggressive pup . I hope no one is taking this the wrong way ,I considered adopting again but you dont know the backgrounds just liek with the blind shihtzu I adopted .

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Papers are only as good as the breeder who signs them. If you're worried about quality and some sort of backup, focus on finding a breeder with a good reputation and a health guarantee. Chances are, if they're worthwhile, they already register with the UKC and/or ADBA.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Papers are only as good as the breeder who signs them. If you're worried about quality and some sort of backup, focus on finding a breeder with a good reputation and a health guarantee. Chances are, if they're worthwhile, they already register with the UKC and/or ADBA.
Oh okay thank you !

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
:goodpost: and I have no idea,that why I was trying to see what I should get bloodline wise,it dosent matter to me really,I like the slim apbt,like the one I have ,all I know is that I dont want a bully .
I would really look into different uses and bloodlines and figure what you want to do , if you just want a pet and not actually work I would think against getting a pure APBT they do have high drives and a ton of energy. I understand liking the look of a breed but if it doesnt fit your lifestyle its just not fair to the dog. The UKC style might be a better fit more show bred APBT vs the game bred. really you could show and do weight pull or agility or whatever you want with a UKC APBT . I Dont know if this is all the ADBA dogs but im going off the ones I have seen at the shows up here and they are some hyper , high strung dogs with unending energy lol I know they would be too much for me I prefer my laid back bullys who will work as much as I want and not tear my house apart if we miss a day or 2 lol.
I know a couple breeders I met from the ADBA I could give you there website to look at , they are here in canada but maybe looking at some of the dogs and looking into different bloodlines you can make a decision or atleast narrow your "wants in the dog" down so you kow which way you should go.
my prefrence in dogs is obvious lol , but I was impressed by this kennels dogs that showed up at the show I thought they were really nice and they rocked in the weight pulling . Ihave a couple others written down somewhere but cant remember where may take me a min to remember there names lol.
http://www.itsmysite.com/bnb/

I also really like the carragan dogs atleast the ones I have seen in person { not sure if they were from the kennel themselves or just produced by them }

im sure those involved with the ABPT's have some breeders closer to you who they can recommend checking out and researching. Atleast you started early so you have plenty of time to get to know numerous kennels and what they work with.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I would really look into different uses and bloodlines and figure what you want to do , if you just want a pet and not actually work I would think against getting a pure APBT they do have high drives and a ton of energy. I understand liking the look of a breed but if it doesnt fit your lifestyle its just not fair to the dog. The UKC style might be a better fit more show bred APBT vs the game bred. really you could show and do weight pull or agility or whatever you want with a UKC APBT . I Dont know if this is all the ADBA dogs but im going off the ones I have seen at the shows up here and they are some hyper , high strung dogs with unending energy lol I know they would be too much for me I prefer my laid back bullys who will work as much as I want and not tear my house apart if we miss a day or 2 lol.
I know a couple breeders I met from the ADBA I could give you there website to look at , they are here in canada but maybe looking at some of the dogs and looking into different bloodlines you can make a decision or atleast narrow your "wants in the dog" down so you kow which way you should go.
my prefrence in dogs is obvious lol , but I was impressed by this kennels dogs that showed up at the show I thought they were really nice and they rocked in the weight pulling . Ihave a couple others written down somewhere but cant remember where may take me a min to remember there names lol.
http://www.itsmysite.com/bnb/

I also really like the carragan dogs atleast the ones I have seen in person { not sure if they were from the kennel themselves or just produced by them }

im sure those involved with the ABPT's have some breeders closer to you who they can recommend checking out and researching. Atleast you started early so you have plenty of time to get to know numerous kennels and what they work with.
Thank you so much ! I could do weight pulling if I learned how and what its all about ,but I have never seen or heard of a dog show here before . I wouldnt mind a bully as long as they have a good temperment , why I say that is because one of my neighbors has a DA bully who is also HA and after seeing what that dog can do and almost gettign bit by it has set me back a little on bullys . I know that no dog is the same,it just set me back a little on them ya know . Like once I got attacked by a pomeranian,haha although funny it was painful,it bit my ankles and my leg .

It may be another year and a half before I get a dog,just trying to get all the knowledge possible .I will go look at the site now . The only people who breed them here are BYB's well im sure theres some that are responsible but I havent found them yet . :(

My pitbull Bailey is VERY hyper,but she plays with my friends dog and we walk and she runs in the yard which is big and plays with her toys and even plays with them on the trampoline lol

But if I get one thats like show bred,and not showing them is that a bad idea or no ?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
well DA is common in both the bullys and the APBT i have bullys who are somewhat DA with some dogs its to be expected. The HA shouldnt ever be tolerated and maybe that a result of a BYB not caring about what they are breeding.
Sometimes there isnt a good reputable breeder in everyones area, but spending money on a good quality dog sometimes you have to consider shipping fees or transportation costs of going down to meet a breeder and dogs just lump it in as part of the cost of the dog. Id rather wait till i saved that extra money and gotten a good quality dog then settle for a low quality pup just because it was more convenient.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
I would really look into different uses and bloodlines and figure what you want to do , if you just want a pet and not actually work I would think against getting a pure APBT they do have high drives and a ton of energy. I understand liking the look of a breed but if it doesnt fit your lifestyle its just not fair to the dog.
i wanted to say the same thing as your said but didnt know how to say it nicely.

adba to me are more game dogs bred more toward performance than the show ring, while i think ukc is more show ring than performance.

AGAINST THE WIND KENNELS - Montana based breeder of performance Pit Bulls i like these dogs

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well DA is common in both the bullys and the APBT i have bullys who are somewhat DA with some dogs its to be expected. The HA shouldnt ever be tolerated and maybe that a result of a BYB not caring about what they are breeding.
Sometimes there isnt a good reputable breeder in everyones area, but spending money on a good quality dog sometimes you have to consider shipping fees or transportation costs of going down to meet a breeder and dogs just lump it in as part of the cost of the dog. Id rather wait till i saved that extra money and gotten a good quality dog then settle for a low quality pup just because it was more convenient.
Oh I know what ya mean there,I have been saving money plus buying Bailey a new kennel this spring and there vet check ups and rabies booster,its alot to do . And yeah I would want to get my moneys worth,I wouldnt mind shipping or meeting someone for a pup,though seeing what living conditions are like would be ideal for me . Is it wrong to be wanting a health guarantee also ?

I thought it would be good to get one with it just in case . I will not buy a dog until I am positive its healthy and that I have the proper supplies and money for ALL vet costs/emergencys . I had to switch vets cause the old one tried to say purina was the best dog food out there ! Anyways is getting a show dog but not showing them a bad idea ?

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
Anyways is getting a show dog but not showing them a bad idea ?
i dont see a need to get a papered dog if im not gonna do any thing with it...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I had a thread on it, but I think it got closed or soemthing,they breed and breed and sell mutts,the mom and 4 pups came to my fence today , so I went to go get them but they ran down the road . If I can catch one or more I will take them to the pound its rediculous . The dog was due to be PTS but hes still there

I hate putting my drama on here,im sure some get tired of it , but I cant stand BYB's

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont see a need to get a papered dog if im not gonna do any thing with it...
to know what I am getting and not paying $500 for a mutt . I never said I dont plan on doing anything, I said if I can learn the stuff on weight pulling then that would be fine and I could do that ,but showing isnt an option unless theres one around here im unaware of

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.