Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called Barkingham Palace. It's a boarding facility that also does bathing and grooming. I used to work there. A couple of times actually. The owner loves me and the manager thinks I'm as awesome now as I was back then.
Well I've been taking my Corgi Boomer there because they furminate him which REALLY cuts down on the shedding. Ecko needs his nails done and I figured 2 birds one stone. So I called to make an appointment. And when Ronnie asked what breed he is I told her Bully mix. She said you know we don't take pits. I said he's not a pit, he's a Bully mix. She didn't want to argue with me so she said Candy (the owner) loves me and would let him come either way.
I fostered Pig and Indie for a couple of weeks and when they came to me they were stinky as stinky gets so I called around to every groomer in my area, I was never turned away for breed, just booked because it was last minute. Barkingham was next on the list after the one I ended up taking them to. My county could give two shits what kind of dog you have pretty much anywhere except apartment complexes. So I'm a little hurt that this place I talk up so much and love so dearly has decided to discriminate against such a great breed. So it looks like tomorrow morning I'll be educating my old boss on the difference between the APBT and the American Bully, Am Staff, and Mixes. I hope she is willing to learn. Or I'll be hard pressed to find another groomer who does so well on Boomer.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
It is a shame that people like that but ignorance breeds fear. Best of luck with trying to educate them Ecko but my experience is that they hear what they want to and your words will fall on deaf ears. Probably will be the same old ...... "if I do it for you then I'll have to do for all those mean pitbulls". Let us know how the talk goes, fingers crossed for you.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She shows and breeds Goldens. So she really doesn't know anything about bull breeds. I feel like as a show person she might be open to learning, more so then the average pet owner. I'm keeping a positive outlook.
Even if she doesn't agree that Ecko is not a pit, she'll still see him. Because I'm awesome and she loves me. But I won't take them there anymore if she doesn't see the truth of it, out of principle.
And thanks Joe I'm gonna need toes crossed too. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. They took Ecko, then called me and said he's a pit bull and would not be welcome back. I told them he is not. When I went in to pick the boys up they told me Candy, the owner, said he would not be allowed back. Candy of course wasn't there to be educated. They won't be seeing me or my dogs ever again. I was going to take Boomer there in the winter for agility. I'll find a different place to take him now.
I let the world of social media know how I feel about them.
I just can't stand being called a liar, and that's basically what they did by arguing with me about the breed of my dog.
Discriminating against a breed is bad enough, but to not even know the breed you're discriminating against is even worse.
Yup, never going back. Ever.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Yeah screw that. People who work with dogs who discriminate against dogs really blow my mind. So ignorant. And you're supposed to be trained in this?! I can't believe you tried to give them the befit of the doubt and went even after they told you no pit bulls lol. Right on! Screw them

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey. I thought because I used to work there that Candy might hold a conversation with me. Listen to the voice of reason and all that jazz. So yeah, that's why I took him anyways. I didn't realize what jerks they were going to be about it and that Candy would avoid me. I thought they were better people then that. I was sorely mistaken.
And yeah, screw them!!

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have 2 other groomers asking for my business. Finding an agility class in the winter will be the difficult part. I may have to drive 30 minutes to get to it. Not as convenient, but still doable.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
That sucks EckoMac! Sorry that you never got the chance to try and educate them. Best of luck with choosing a new groomer. The good news is that you are no longer supporting the discriminating business.

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts