Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I purchase some heartworm meds without a prescription? I have been looking online but places like Dr. Fosters and smith and 1-800-petmeds all ask for prescriptions. I can't believe you can't get it anywhere other than your vets office where it costs more $$$ than ordering yourself. We can buy the flea and tick prevention at pet stores. Why not heartworm pills? I did find the all natural heartworm prevention through a natural pet website but I'm not to sure about that. If anyone can point me to a place that would be great! Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Straight ivermectin. Usually available through tractor/farm/livestock supply places. You have to be very careful about the dosage, though, because its usually packaged for large animals (horses, pigs). I think the dosage is something like 1/10 CC per 50 lbs of body weight.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I didn't need a prescription when I ordered mine? They just called up the vet I gave and made sure they had seen him recently.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't need a prescription when I ordered mine? They just called up the vet I gave and made sure they had seen him recently.
Where did you order from?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can order online, they will send your Vet something to sign. Your dog has to be tested for heartworms yearly. If you give your dog heartworm meds while your dog has heartworms, it can make them sick.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also, at the Vet where I work, we will match online prices. Ask your Vet about that too.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
This is a cheap and great place to get heartworm meds. The normal Ivermectin you can get at a feed store is 1% but all you need for heartworm is .05%. At this link they already have it diluted and ready to go so you do not give too much. You can get it at the feed store but this is sometimes cheaper and premixed.

J R ENTERPRISES

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.