Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost 2 year old Pitbull/Lab mix that has thinning hair and is always itching his eyes/flakes on his coat. We adopted him a year ago and he is all up to date on his shots and has had a full exam. We initially thought it was Mange but we took him to a vet and they said it wasn't.

He is fed Kirkland Natures Domain Salmon/Sweet Potato meal. We have tried multiple different brands over the months with no positive effects. He is fed out of metal bowls only. We do not give him any treats with corn meal/meat bi-product in them. I take him to work with me every day so he isn't left alone and I can monitor him 24/7.

I have tried giving him Benadryl for a few weeks to see if that would reduce the eye itching but it did not. I've tried giving him Fish Oil tablets for months and all it did was soften his coat.

I'm really at a loss here. I plan on taking him to another vet for a second opinion but first wanted to see from you guys if I am missing anything.

Untitled by Christopher Dillingham, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Sounds like it's time to have an allergy test done. No sense beating around the bush for any longer when you could just figure out the allergens and avoid them.

Just keep in mind that it can take over a month for a new food to settle and take effect, so if you're switching too frequently you may never see a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Depends on your vet and/or whether or not you'd need to be referred to a dermatologist. You can always call around and ask. It's not going to be cheap, but will save you time and money on vet bills and food changes.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Sounds like it could be, but with skin issues they are so many possibilities. I'm not a vet, so I can't diagnose your dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts