Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have adopted this sweet baby boy. His mother is Staffordshire Terrier. His father, American Bulldog. The woman who fostered him until we picked him up says he is just a mutt. An APBT owner/breeder says that was how they made the ultimate APBT in breeding. I need to get his license, not sure how to list him. Is he a pitt bull? Is he a mutt? I love him either way. But I would like an answer... please?

This is him... Finnegan.

This is his mommy & daddy.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
he would be considered a mutt , but a very cute mutt :) I dont know what an ultimate pitbull is never heard of that. There are american bullys that were created with am staff and APBT lines you could look more into that if interested, but they didnt use american bulldog. Honestly you could count any dog who doesnt have papers or some written history of there pedigree a mutt. Looks like he will be a big boy , im sure you will find lots of helpful info on here as he grows. Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
american pit bull terriers, american staffordshire terriers, stafforshire bull terriers and in some cases and places, bull terriers and american bulldogs are considered pitbulls. Even though your dog is not a pure american pitbull terrier your pup still falls under the category of "pitbull" because the mom is an amstaff. Either way you have a really cute pup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
american pit bull terriers, american staffordshire terriers, stafforshire bull terriers and in some cases and places, bull terriers and american bulldogs are considered pitbulls. Even though your dog is not a pure american pitbull terrier your pup still falls under the category of "pitbull" because the mom is an amstaff. Either way you have a really cute pup.
Thank you so much. I love him no matter what he is.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
If your dog is in fact bred from those two you have yourself a mutt, im not entirely sure i trust that those two are what the people say they are but regardless, the American Bulldog and American Staffordshire Terrier are two different breeds bred for two different purposes thus creating a 50-50 mix if you were to bred the two.

Perhaps its just me but the American Bulldog appears to be mixed with something else, haven't seen an AB look like that male in the picture.. The Staffordshire also appears to be mixed with something else but without knowing each of the dogs history, where they came from.. Who knows.

The AB imo should be bred true to the roots, just as any working dog. I don't know what either of the parents achieved to be breeding worthy or if your pup is a product of a BYB, either way just love your pup for the reasons you chose to pick him.

Hope you stay and learn, hope your pup remains healthy throughout his life.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
If your dog is in fact bred from those two you have yourself a mutt, im not entirely sure i trust that those two are what the people say they are but regardless, the American Bulldog and American Staffordshire Terrier are two different breeds bred for two different purposes thus creating a 50-50 mix if you were to bred the two.

Perhaps its just me but the American Bulldog appears to be mixed with something else, haven't seen an AB look like that male in the picture.. The Staffordshire also appears to be mixed with something else but without knowing each of the dogs history, where they came from.. Who knows.

The AB imo should be bred true to the roots, just as any working dog. I don't know what either of the parents achieved to be breeding worthy or if your pup is a product of a BYB, either way just love your pup for the reasons you chose to pick him.

Hope you stay and learn, hope your pup remains healthy throughout his life.
:goodpost:
I was going to say almost exactly the same thing. I wouldn't assume the parents are pure either. It's hard to tell in pics but they do appear to be mixed.

All that being said, you have yourself a very sweet looking dog. Do stay around and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have.:)

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
You could always list him as a lab mix to avoid any complications in your registering process. With that coloring and those ears he could pass for a lab pup - at least for now.

He is a cutie. And I agree with the previous statements, the parent dogs, if purebreeds of each breeds mentioned are terrible examples of their breeds. Not to say that makes your pup any less loveable but...what in the world was this person thinking? On second though, I don't think they were.

Ultimate APBT - Hmm... sounds like a new BYB term for "rare" to generate more money.

Sorry, <end rant> welcome to the forum :D

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
you have a bulldog........ nothing more nothing less. Ambulldog stems from the dixe type bulldog with heavy colby and rascal influx and staffy terrier is the source of it all starting in the 1790s. so yeah after 290yrs or so bringing em back together, smart strong dog. probably be the best all around dog you'll have. Mutts let alone bulldog aka APBT mutts are GREAT.. JFYI that female looks like an AMStaff or an large APBT; staffy terrier should be alot smaller in comparison to the Am Bulldog. Enjoy the most of him, and call him a mutt because most people wouldn't know that his parent let alone him wasnt a "pit bull, as they fit the bill stereotypically.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks all. I don't know that the previous owners were trying to breed. In fact I don't know much except that they weren't doing a lot of things as responsible pet owners. I saw him posted by a woman who rescues animals and fosters them for families to adopt. I thought he was adorable, went to look at him and fell in love. The woman told me what his parents were and said she'd send me a pic. So thats the pic I got. I wasn't really thinking anything about his parents, except that, damn... he's gonna be big. I guess I was a little curious what he'd look like too... I can see that classic pitt looking snout sometimes when I look at him and then other times I think he could pass for a lab mix too :) Like I said it doesn't matter much to me what he is mixed with. So far he displays a great temperament, no food aggression, and I have a 2 month old human baby as well... so I wanted a pup to grow up with her and thats what I got. I couldn't be happier no matter if he's a mutt, a bulldog, or whatever. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Thanks all. I don't know that the previous owners were trying to breed. In fact I don't know much except that they weren't doing a lot of things as responsible pet owners. I saw him posted by a woman who rescues animals and fosters them for families to adopt. I thought he was adorable, went to look at him and fell in love. The woman told me what his parents were and said she'd send me a pic. So thats the pic I got. I wasn't really thinking anything about his parents, except that, damn... he's gonna be big. I guess I was a little curious what he'd look like too... I can see that classic pitt looking snout sometimes when I look at him and then other times I think he could pass for a lab mix too :) Like I said it doesn't matter much to me what he is mixed with. So far he displays a great temperament, no food aggression, and I have a 2 month old human baby as well... so I wanted a pup to grow up with her and thats what I got. I couldn't be happier no matter if he's a mutt, a bulldog, or whatever. Thanks for everyone's input.
:goodpost: you gotta good friend.. he looks like a loyal worker, find an outlet ya'll both enjoy and have fun!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You got yourself a mix, or like Firehazard said, a generic bulldog. I wouldn't count on either of his parents having been purebred, but as long as you're looking for a dog to love and not to show/breed, that doesn't really matter. Cute kiddo. We expect to see lots of pics of him as he grows. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
he is really cute and that's what matters most :) glad he found you

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Nice looking bulldog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts