Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinkn of sending my pit to a school any suggestions as to some good ones in my area.. im in beaufort sc

·
Registered
80 Posts
idk there are plenty of things in the training section. its quite easy to teach a dog the basic commands u need. iwould try that before u spend money

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Are you sure s/he is not deaf? Have you gone in another room and dropped something to see if s/he investigates? Or is it selective hearing? What are you using for treats? how are you training currently? Took me a lot of interviews to find a trainer I liked and worked with my style. It depends on your dog and how you want to train. I would google and look on their web sites and call some you find interesting. make sure they are responsible and understand the breed you have. I found one on one sessions in my home was the way I wanted to go. Stay away from petsmart or pet store trainers.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Ames, some Pet'smart trainers are decent/good, some are crap. you'd have to go in and sit in on a class to judge that. :) Good suggestions though :D I can't give you rep yet, but textual praise for now. :p

I could contact a friend about trainers near you if you'd like, just let me know. I think it's awesome that you'd like to work with your puppy, it's a great experience. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got a trainer that comes to my house. My dog is super hyper and doesn't listen that often. It's only week one and he has changed dramatically! Are you close to sumter or Columbia, sc? Cuz if so I could give you my trainers number. He's amazing. Money well spent. Lol I also like the one on one training my pup gets wit the trainer. No other people or animals around to distract his training.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Ames, some Pet'smart trainers are decent/good, some are crap. you'd have to go in and sit in on a class to judge that. :) Good suggestions though :D I can't give you rep yet, but textual praise for now. :p
HAHA ok ok I guess what I meant is MOST of what I have seen and heard, they are crap, so if you are looking around and calling my as well NOT start there lol most trainers who work there also train themselves I have found, so the good ones you can weed out instead of getting a bad one at a session if you sign up for their weekly training's. You never know who is gonna show up to teach :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with Ames..... The one on one training with any dog is better. Same trainer everytime, and knows what the needs of your dog are as well as what u want out of training. IMO

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
HAHA ok ok I guess what I meant is MOST of what I have seen and heard, they are crap, so if you are looking around and calling my as well NOT start there lol most trainers who work there also train themselves I have found, so the good ones you can weed out instead of getting a bad one at a session if you sign up for their weekly training's. You never know who is gonna show up to teach :)
A lot are crap, especially Petco ones I've seen. We had a pretty good trainer at our local Pet'smart for awhile from what I saw, but he moved away to work on bigger things. :) But I do agree that you should go out to other trainers first, just not throw it out as a last resort idea. It's hard to find trainers that aren't idiots in some areas.

For me classes depend on what you want, if you just want to know how to work with your dog as a home companion in home classes are good. But I also like group classes as it's fantastic practice for public situations and stuff like CGC, Safe dog, TT and such

Edit: I feel slow for not noticing your location in your post. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no he isnt deaf far from it in fact thats one of the main problems... he could literally hear a mouse piss on a cotton ball and run in fear. he has literally no (how can i put this socialization skills as far as the real world) oddly enough his temperament is amazing isnt overlly energetic plays peacefully with toys in imho he is perfect. but since i brought him home ive noticed he is overlly sensitive to any noise and gets startled and runs but it was expected under the terms i got him. he isnt familiar with his call name which is a given since he wasnt trained to learn it. the reason i made this post is i love him to death and i work with him even with my time constraints. but i wont to make sure he is properly trained now early before its to late.. like i said before he is 7 months now. so i wont to do whats best for him and by him.. columbia isnt to far from me its 2 hrs which is worth it.. never heard of sumter sc..but i was interested in taking him to something like a dog bootcamp and leaving him for a few weeks. like this place Classes

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you look online you can find some trainers in your area that actually come to your house and train. That way you dont leave your dog and he gets one on one training with no distractions.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Yes, but training around distractions is far more beneficial if you're looking to have a travel buddy to go with you in multiple places.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, but training around distractions is far more beneficial if you're looking to have a travel buddy to go with you in multiple places.
Ok well most trainers that come to your house get control of your dog there first and once that trainin is complete you do group classes with the same trainer but other people and their animals. So you get all ur one on one first than you get training around people and animals.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Ok well most trainers that come to your house get control of your dog there first and once that trainin is complete you do group classes with the same trainer but other people and their animals. So you get all ur one on one first than you get training around people and animals.
exactly what mine was. Get a handle on the training one on one and then bring in distractions. My trainer also volunteered at my local shelter so we were able to go to their yard and work on training with the safety of a fence while other dogs played behind it. Was awesome. Eventually we moved up to no fence and then moved on up from there. My boy still hates off leash dogs running up on us though. I am able to distract him with almost everything else, but off leash attacks, I still am working on... I dont like being rushed by off leash dogs easier so I think he is feeding off me, so I am working on that lol Wish I live in a place that it didn't happen so much. UGH oh well

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
That I agree with. :)

ummmm what about gak9.com
I wouldn't go to them, how far are you willing to travel? Is Myrtle Beach too far?

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
took a look at that place you posted looks like it could have some good trainers, they do come to you too. One thing did catch my eye. "Crate training doesn’t have to be a form of punishment for your dog" I don't like the wording. a crate should be NEVER used as punishment. The wording doesn't appear they believe the same.

Also, 3 classes for $270 to teach your dog how to go to his bed and wait to greet seems high. I know its a different area but I paid $60 for an hour a week. My boy went to his bed in about 2 days and when the trainer showed up the next week he was waiting until I said he could greet her. Each dog is different but it the work you are willing to put in with the skills the trainer will show you that I find most important.

Have you called them? Or anyone and spoken to someone?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I'm not a big fan of sending dogs off to boot camp for training. I think you and your dog will get a lot more out of training together, especially as so much of what a dog looks at as guidance in cues is minute body mannerisms. Training together helps cement a strong bond.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That I agree with. :)

I wouldn't go to them, how far are you willing to travel? Is Myrtle Beach too far?
no its not do what do you have in mind???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts