Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my boyfriends' birthday, I came up with the idea of a camping trip. So we loaded up our kayaks, stopped by Bass Pro for some essentials, and toured down south to the Ten Thousand Islands; which is a refuge as part of the Everglades system. I've done a lot of camping as a kid but not recently and never with Odyssey or Mike, and neither of us had been to Ten Thousand Islands... so it was an experience to be had. And it was.

We got a late start on Monday, held up by a number of things (the biggest being the marina we were going to launch from was closed) and didn't get on the water til 5. We have small kayaks (8 feet) and wasn't sure how they would handle all the extra equipment/weight. For me, it was like trying to paddle a cinder block through the water. The waters there are very tidal and will mess with you as well. We weren't really sure where we were going, just that we wanted our own island. After 3 1/2 hours of arduous, mosquito/noseeum ridden paddling, we finally made it to a location where we could set up. In the dark no less. Between the hellish trip there, the bugs, and all the sand (it literally gets -everywhere-) the situation was improved upon by a torrential lightning storm.

The island we actually stayed on is called "10,000 Island" and it has a point peninsular to a bay and the Gulf of Mexico. That was our spot. I woke up the next morning and a day began that made the one previous seem like night.

I had my camera in a dry bag so I only took photos while we were on the island. On the water, we saw so many different species of wildlife it was amazing. Dolphins, manatees, many birds, sharks, tons of fish, crabs, etc. But I feel I've done enough talking.

We arrived in the dark, so had no real idea what the island looked like. I was the first one out of the tent, looked to my right and this is what I saw.

Odyssey kept pushing her luck with going in the water, so i put her life vest on. At home its not a big deal but out here the currents so strong you can feel it instantly, and if you got caught up by it you'd be a goner.

We wanted to at least catch something while we were there, so we headed out past the sci-fi building towards some new territory to try our luck.

I've never seen her climb into a tree.

We found an excellent tree to fish out of.

A sea turtle carcass.

Filleting a speckled trout that Mike caught from out of the tree. I left the skin on and grilled it over the fire after saturating with fresh squeezed lemon, some salt, and a generous amount of pepper. Jeezus was it delicious! However about 10-15 minutes after I threw out the remains, a six foot tiger shark showed up scouting the area. Mike even got him to go after his lure, his head came out of the water and everything, I could clearly see his teeth. Amazing.

I think it may be a good thing I can't use my camera whilst on the kayak... look how many pictures I have as it is? lol :D hope you guys enjoyed, because despite our rougher beginnings it really turned out to be an awesome experience. Next time though... I'm bringing a boat.

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
WOW! Now I KNOW I'm going to be saving up for a Kayak. We have Islands over here on the river, but NOTHING compares to that.
Amazing pics. Thank you for sharing. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Gorgeous pics ! How does your dog ride in a small kayak like that? I have a kayak .......lots of lakes and fresh water around here to explore but you won't ever catch me on the ocean! Tiger sharks vs. 8 ft kayak....bye bye kayak lol! Thanks for sharing! Gorgeous scenery :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
wow looks like you had an amazing getaway. Did you encounter any other people when you were there? I totally want the details on this place doesn't seem to far from when I go on vacation :) So beautiful, loved the tree climbing pup, but the one with your boyfriend fishing with Odyssey under him on the log. Great shots! Scary about the tiger shark. OMG that kinda freaks me out. I just concentrate on shuffling my feet I didn't even think about those things!

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
awesome story and sounds like one helluva fun trip. thanks for sharing. and im actually a big fan of sharks, i woulda loved to have seen the lil tiger. :D

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Thats awesome and those photos are great! The scenery is to die for. I don't trust the bull sharks around florida, can't say that I'd let my dog swim out there, but Im sure in the moment I would. I loved the photos of her following ya'll down the shore line. Thanks for sharing.. I seen a 16ft tiger shark being caught when I was in Hawaii..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gorgeous pics ! How does your dog ride in a small kayak like that? I have a kayak .......lots of lakes and fresh water around here to explore but you won't ever catch me on the ocean! Tiger sharks vs. 8 ft kayak....bye bye kayak lol! Thanks for sharing! Gorgeous scenery :)
She actually fits well laying down between my legs. She can sit up but it makes for a little unsteadiness with the added weight. Being small kayaks their weight capacity isn't the greatest and stability can only be so well... but we managed, with sharks and all!

wow looks like you had an amazing getaway. Did you encounter any other people when you were there? I totally want the details on this place doesn't seem to far from when I go on vacation So beautiful, loved the tree climbing pup, but the one with your boyfriend fishing with Odyssey under him on the log. Great shots! Scary about the tiger shark. OMG that kinda freaks me out. I just concentrate on shuffling my feet I didn't even think about those things!
We saw a couple boats on the way out, but throughout the day there was a number of fishermen that would stop by to fish the swell, and a few other passerbys that would slow down to take a look at the R2-D2 structure. But really it was very secluded and private.

Thats awesome and those photos are great! The scenery is to die for. I don't trust the bull sharks around florida, can't say that I'd let my dog swim out there, but Im sure in the moment I would. I loved the photos of her following ya'll down the shore line. Thanks for sharing.. I seen a 16ft tiger shark being caught when I was in Hawaii..
She was never allowed to swim without us near her or very deep. The water is clear with a sandy bottom, so any large creature would be spotted quickly and from a distance. Even though we did spot a few sharks I never felt uncomfortable wading in the water, worst case scenario grab a branch and hop up into a mangrove. I live near Boca Grande where the world record hammerhead shark was caught; however that is one place I don't even like to wade.

Thanks so much for the kind comments everyone, it was definitely a trip for the memory books. :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
What a awesome place to visit! Great pictures, your girl is very pretty, love that small white blaze

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a awesome place to visit! Great pictures, your girl is very pretty, love that small white blaze
Thank you :) I think that too, is my favorite marking on her. It gets down to a single white hair in one spot.

To anyone that is interested, I found out more information about the dome house (yes, it is indeed a house) and what's been going on with it. I also discovered that the name of the island we were on is actually called "Cape Romano", not "10,000 Island" like I mistakenly said.

The house was built in 1981 and lived in part-time for a bit. I'm not sure why anybody would build a house there because the shoreline is constantly changing due to the extreme tidal currents, and eventually is what lead to its degrading condition. A few other houses were also built out there near-by but all of them have succumbed to the ever-changing coast and hurricanes, only the dome house has stubbornly held on though Hurricane Wilma took two of the original domes. Now a man from Naples has owned it since 2005 and has fervently been trying to gain permission to renovate it from the state. They've been doing everything they can to stop him but he's the president of a building company, so he has his own ammunition and the last thing I read was that he was expecting approval in 2011. You know how those things can go, so I'm hoping the best for him. He'd have the remaining domes moved further upland on the island to the highest elevation (a whopping 23 feet above sea) and have a 75 foot dock built to the Gulf. He sounds like a pretty cool guy because any quote I've read from him he basically says he doesn't care who or how many people come out there, that they're totally welcome any time. He even offered to store supplies and equipment for the Rookery research facility in part of the house.

I can say I'm impressed its still around. I've been through hurricanes, and a place like that would be the absolute worst. I read that in 1909 one of the worst hurricanes in history hit Chuckoloski (a larger island further into the 10,000 Island chain) and the only thing above water was the largest shell mound left from the Calusa Indians. A year before that, was the second worst hurricane. Perhaps the Calusa spirits were exacting their revenge?

Done with the history lesson, thanks for tuning in :D.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
wow great pics. Looks like paradise. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts