Go Pitbull Forums banner

Off leash...running for hours and can't catch her!!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MY MIKADO 
#1 ·
My Lola is about a year and a half old. She does the sit stay and other things like get in your bed, down, back. But if somehow the door is ajar with just barely enough room to bolt through she is off and running. We live in a farming area and so she can run for hours. We do have a river and at times she thinks she is a water dog...like our Labs.

I've been told by many folks that I need a shock collar on her...she does great on a leash. Because of her running and not coming back she is never allowed outside without the leash on.

I am training her for a service dog...just don't know what to do...never happened to me before...any suggestions?

#2 ·
I'm interested in this one too because Indigo is a pain in my rear like this too.

#3 ·
I would not use the shock collar I just don't like them and some dogs can become aggressive with the use of this device.

I would get a long line go to your local feed store and get a rope that you can make halters out of we have them in 25ft, 50 ft and 100ft. I bought the 100ft. Then attach a snap to one end. I hook up my stubbern dogs to this when I take them out side this way I can work on re-call in a controlled way. I let my dogs wander out ( start out with just going 15-20 ft away) and then I call them if they don't come immediately I start to reel them in telling them to COME. I don't always say their name I reserve the " name" for certain training. I will say "come here boy". Once they are coming towards you start the Praise and lots of it. I usually have a good treat in my pocket too. As soon as they are to me I love them up tell they are good a boy/girl then I let them go again. I will do this 5-10 times while we are outside. Each time letting them have a bit more rope.
I hope this helps you. I have trained many dogs with this method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.