Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an email from an event I posted in the events forum. I contacted the person putting on the event and she just responded today...

Hey Jessica,
I won't be bringing any animals due to the fact that others won't be having their animals contained. That is a BIG "no no" w/ the APBT because of what they are originally bred for... Dog and animal aggression. I really hope that you guys do reconsider this one thing especially since you're having people bring their dogs of unknown temperament and I'm sure that many people aren't very educated on the breed and their minimal warning signs of distaste for another animal before getting irritated. You don't know if people will be bringing out their cur dogs that will bite a human durring a spat with a dog. A well bred APBT will never bite a human even in the heat of battle, but you can't guarantee that everyone has well bred dogs.If this event goes down unleashed I reccomend that you hand out parting sticks to everyone who walks in the gate. If you're interested in learning more about the American Pitbull Terrier as well as any other bully breeds please go to Gopitbull.com it's a forum website that is verrry informative in every aspect and there are ALOT of knowledgeable breed enthusiasts that will be able to explain why dog parks...especially off lead dog parks are just asking for a negative spot light on the news... it may not be your pit that starts the fight, but he will finish the job. NEVER trust a pitbull not to fight. It's irresponsible to believe that you can love the dog/animal agression out of this breed... it's setting you and your pet up for failure. After all this this event is to promote responsible ownership to help us all fight BSL right? :) My guest and I will still attend , but I'm not going to be bringing my pups.

I'm not sure if you've ever had the opportunity to try to split up an APBT fight, but it isn't as simple as getting the garden hose and spraying them... beating on them or yelling at them. There is no such thing as "lock jaw", but there is the tennacity of the terrier with it's bulldog mind set to never give up.

I hope to hear from you soon!,
Shana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Shana Wakenshaw <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:15:37 AM
Subject: RE: Pitty lovers

Hi, That's Great that you will be attending. We have set a date for May the 30th. It will be held at the Dog Wood Dog park in Jacksonville. We are sending out updated flyers this weekend with all the info. I am letting everyone know that the park does have rules. It's really neat. It's a huge 40 sum acre lot that dogs can run and play. They have a pond that just for them also. I will attach if you are still interested please let me know.

off-leash park rules and restrictions

For safety reasons, males dogs 8 months of age and older must be neutered to enter the off-leash areas of the park. All male dogs (both neutered and intact) are welcome to attend classes and to use the self-service dog baths. We will make a very few exceptions to this rule, for example, for dogs actively being shown or dogs that cannot be neutered for medical reasons. The reason for this rule is safety: in general, neutering tends to lessen any aggressive tendencies a male dog may have toward other dogs (and lessen other annoying behaviors such as territorial marking and humping). And we find that some neutered male dogs behave more aggressively toward intact male dogs, even if the intact males are the sweetest, least aggressive dogs in the world. Why don't we have the same rule for females dogs? Spaying a female dog does not seem to have any marked effect on the dog's behavior. Of course we recommend that both male and female dogs be spayed or neutered for health reasons and because dog overpopulation is a serious problem.

Keep an eye on your dog at all times.

Be polite: scoop the poop! Bag stations and trash cans are available throughout the park.

Unless you are moving your dog from one part of the park to another, the dog must be off-leash.

If annoying (to the other dog or its owner) or aggressive behavior is observed, take immediate action: either move your dog to another part of the park, leave the park, or do whatever you have to do to prevent the behavior (time-out, redirect behavior, etc.).

Rough play is fine as long as it is consensual. Rough play and chasing is not acceptable if any of the dogs involved is not comfortable with the situation.. Just because a dog's intent is to play does not make the dog's behavior acceptable or tolerable if the other dog is not enjoying itself.

For safety reasons children must be at least 4 feet tall to use any part of the off-leash park other than the Kids 'n Dogs area (where children of all sizes are welcome). Carried babies no older than 12 months may be taken into all areas of the off-leash park, as well as children of all ages in strollers, but parents with strollers are warned to be very careful when an unknown dog gets near the stroller.

In the Kids 'n Dogs area kids may act like kids, but children in other areas of the off-leash park will be expected to behave in an adult manner: no running, no chasing dogs, no petting of others' dogs unless permission is granted by the owners first. Pre-teenage children must be closely supervised at all times by an adult, and must at all times be in close proximity to their adult guardian.

Puppies must be at least 12 weeks of age to use the park.

The safest collar for your dog to wear in a dog park is a flat buckle collar (actually, a break-away collar is even safer; if a dog wearing a break-away collar should get caught on another dog or on a fence, etc., its weight will cause the collar to break, thus freeing the dog). We do not allow dogs in the off-leash part of the park to wear prong or pinch collars; these are training collars and should not be left on a dog when it plays. We highly discourage the use of choke chain collars, as these can also be dangerous (a dog in an Orlando dog park recently got its choke chain caught on another dog while the two were playing and suffocated before anyone could find wire cutters to remove the collar). Also not allowed in the park (unless an exception has been made by management) are electronic collars (shock collars).

Smoking is allowed in the park, but only if cigarette butts are disposed of properly in the many waste cans located throughout the park. No butts on the grounds; some dogs find them tasty!

Dogs should wear current license tags and be up-to-date on shots (you don't need to bring shot records).

Digging is not allowed except at the sand pit/dog mountain by Lake Bow Wow; if your dog does dig a hole elsewhere, do your best to fill it in.

No more than 3 dogs per person on any one visit, please.

No dogs in heat or sick dogs or dogs with fleas or possible contagious skin conditions.

Have fun!

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Pitty lovers

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: craigslist | about > scams

My name is Shana Wakenshaw. I would love to attend your event! I own 1 American Pitbull Terrier as well as 1 American Bully. My number is 434-2783, if I don't answer please leave me a message and I will call you back asap. I may bring my Am bully, Indigo, with me and I will also be bringing one other guest. Where are you planning on having your event? Are you going to be putting together a fun show? I'm so glad to see bully breed owners reaching out to one another. I'm a moderator on the forum site called GoPitbull.com check it out. I have a couple of Jacksonville area people there.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
OH MY GOSH!!! I can't believe that they are going to put on a Bully Event OFF LEASH. Are they crazy? I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it. That is a diaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
DUM da DUM da DUMMMM!!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
No leashes and break away collars huh....sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I bet the media will be ALL over this one.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh my, what are they thinking?

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
No leashes and break away collars huh....sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I bet the media will be ALL over this one.
the sad thing is that the media is gonna eat it all up.. someone talk to those morons!! :hammer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts