Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
wow such an interesting piece of history, "The subject of gameness will keep cropping up to the end of time" So telling that the same arguments are still occurring today, lol.

Reactions: KMdogs

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Excellent post Elvis.. Though i would disagree on the time it takes to breed out ability.. It only takes about a decade of breeding to completely breed out desired traits that of a fighting dog.. It is funny talking to the "game bred" people sometimes as game dogs can produce curs, as well all know.. Well, you can also have a dog with game hounds back in the 3 - 4th generations,, if nothing was done with the stock except show you end up with soft dogs producing soft dogs with the occasional throw back to your Bulldogs. In a matter of a few generations, regardless of appearance and structure you end up with the mentality of a performance AST, keep going keep getting softer until you end up with a DA super cur show dog..

Absolutely great post and many should take note of the May 15th letter.. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks KM. I'm sure most people on here haven't seen these letter, but I hope they take time to read them. The funny thing about Al Brown's letter is the AST Tacoma Bloodline was built off of his dogs.

The Tacoma Line was developed through the breeding activities of Charles Doyle of Winamac Indiana. The great dog, Tacoma Jack, was whelped in 1927. He was owned by Al Brown. Using Tacoma Jack and Brown's Judy, Mr. Brown produced a number of outstanding dogs. Several of these, including Tacoma Jack's Replica, were sent to Charles Doyle. Using Tacoma Jack's Replica and other Tacoma dogs, and with liberal infusions of Corvino blood through such great dogs as Corvino's Braddock and Corvinos's Shorty, Mr. Doyle produced a long line of courage and sound dogs. Some of the best included Ch. Young Joe Braddock, Ch. Doyle's Tacoma Disaster I, Ch. Doyle's Tacoma Disaster II, Ch. Kane Tacoma Blaze, and Ch. Tacoma All-A-Blaze. Ch. Tacoma Frivolous Sal, owned by Howard and Janice Hadley, won the National Specialty in 1954. Subsequently Tacoma crosses have been important in all other major AST lines.

Mr. Doyle, who was active in the National Club both as a board member and long-time Secretary, strongly believed in keeping the Staff as Game and Functional as possible. Of all the AST lines, the Tacoma dogs have easily the most outstanding record for courage and capability.

Taken from:
The American Staffordshire Terrier (The Little Red Book)
By Dr. Richard Pasco
Printed in 1977

Al Brown's Tacoma Jack was registered with the ADBA, UKC, as a Pit and the AKC as a Staff.

John Fonseca on the left Al Brown of Modesto ,California of Tacoma Jack fame in the Middle and Howard Heinzel on the right.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
What a great read. I can't get enough of these old timers' letters. Makes you realise that the arguments we have nowadays are nothing new.

Also, these letters are a great example of why I jump on people about the names of breeds. Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not the same as Staffordshire Terriers. If you have an Amstaff, don't put the "Bull" in it! The same goes for dropping the "Bull" out of the SBT. The names are confusing enough already.

It's funny that he mentions having an SBT and an Amstaff that nobody could tell apart. Most people who meet Nitro think he is an Amstaff (including a group of Amstaff breeders).

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Amazing information there! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts