Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I decided to try O'Malley on a new food;
He was on Taste of the Wild but seemed to have lost interest in the taste just as all my other dogs [Black Lab & Golden Retriever]

With that being said I called my vet and talked to him for a bit about the switch and he recommended Authority Real Chicken Large Breed in which you can get at Petsmart. He said that he has had multiple people come in and rave about the food and that he had seen a change in coat quality,ect. So well, it's worth a try right?

O'Malley [& the others] have done amazing on it. They get 2 cups measured out a day with 2 caps of fish oil over it. They not only love it but their coats are looking great as well [probably with some help from the fish oil,too] Overall, I am pretty happy with it so far. Not to mention it was a HUGE price decrease which always works to my benefit.

Well...here is a breakdown:

Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
Formulated for dogs 2 - 5 years old
With glucosamine & chondroitin for joint support
Made exclusively for PetSmart
You want the best for your Dog. As the makers of Authority Dog Food, so do we. That's why Authority contains the finest ingredients, like real chicken as our #1 ingredient. We never use fillers, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. This recipe was designed for the specific needs of large breed adult dogs to provide exceptional taste with the high quality proteins and essential vitamins and minerals necessary for optimal health. It contains natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin help maintain healthy cartilage and joints. From bright eyes and a shiny coat, to strong muscles, teeth and bones, there's a healthy difference you can see.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, (Source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin) Brown Rice, Corn, Oat Groats, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Ascorbic Acid), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, D Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Dried Chicken Cartilage (Source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin).

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 25.0%
Crude Fat (min) 12.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.0%
Moisture (max) 10.0%
Calcium (min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (min) 0.90%
Zinc (min) 175mg/kg
Selenium (min) 0.15mg/kg
Vitamin A (min) 15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 225 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.8%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) .20%*
Glucosamine (min) 400mg/kg*
Chondroitin (min) 300mg/kg*
Vitamin C (min) 20 mg/kg*

Has anyone else tried this food?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I don't because it has corn in it (not all the authority formula's do, but that one does). If they like it and are doing well on it, try Simply Nourish, petsmart's natural brand. My dogs are doing fab on it. No wheat, corn or soy. I've actually been pretty impressed with it.
I usually feed By Nature, but I have to order it online now, switched to TOTW, dogs didn't do as well, switched to this and they look great again. All dogs are different.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't because it has corn in it (not all the authority formula's do, but that one does). If they like it and are doing well on it, try Simply Nourish, petsmart's natural brand. My dogs are doing fab on it. No wheat, corn or soy. I've actually been pretty impressed with it.
I usually feed By Nature, but I have to order it online now, switched to TOTW, dogs didn't do as well, switched to this and they look great again. All dogs are different.
I will definetly look into it, thanks so much for the info.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Authority pet food is cheap quality and the factory is quite disgusting, at least it used to be.. Almost as bad as Diamond but slightly better. All the feed is, is grains. Pet Smart is famed for using the splitting technique with their feed under Authority..

In short look at your ingredients, the first two ingredients are Chicken then Chicken Meal.. That sounds great, right? I mean two named meat ingredients.. However after that you get into grains and very, very cheap quality fillers.. Chicken and Chicken Meal are actually split to sound better but in reality it has Chicken Meal, you just combine them as they are one of the same.. Its all marketing, unless there were several meat products listed (different, mind you) you generally are looking at a company that splits their feed sources to keep up with competition.. Pretty much after that the ingredients are garbage.

PetSmart advertises Authority as a budget feed that can be compared to higher quality feeds, the reality is it is ALL marketing. None of the feeds Pet Smart sells is worth the price you pay and most are utter shit. Blue Buffalo Wilderness is okay but the quality is iffy, some Pet Smarts do sell Natures Variety raw which is great but WELL over priced, they don't feed Instinct Kibble which is a great kibble to feed but even if they did, you'd be over paying.

Asking your vet for advice is okay however most vets don't know squat about nutrition and often taught through schooling that brands like Nutro and Science Diet are the best out there which is why most sell the two brands.. Reality? Over priced garbage.

TOTW is made by Diamond so if your dogs did good on that you probably will have roughly the same success for now until skin allergies rise.. Which they will eventually.

Are you on a budget? Also, don't buy into that pet food rating chart either.. Its highly misguided and its BS.. If you want better reviews i've found dogfoodanalysis.com is one of the better mass review sites that break it all down..

What kind of price range are you looking at?

Some feeds i recommend...

Orijen - $60 - $90 per 29.7 pounds

Acana - $50 - $75 per 29.7 pounds

Instinct (kibble) - $52 - $70 per 26 pounds

Wellness CORE (not regular) - $55 - $75 per 26 pounds

If you are looking more on a budget here are a few options as well though keep in mind the higher quality the feed is, the less you have to feed to maintain as its more digestible vs. fillers and crap..

Timberwolf Organics - $45 - $65 per 28 pounds

Before Grain - $45 - $60 per 30 pounds

Natures Variety (regular kibble) - $40 - $60 per 30 pounds

I personally would prefer the top list over the lower list due to being grain free, higher quality proteins, ingredients and over all consistency however i know sometimes due to pay cuts, loss of jobs, etc it can be rough.. If you have any questions or anything or want to know why i recommend or say what i do ask..

(by the way for what its worth i've (and still do) studied nutrition for several years, been apart of the distribution process as well as visiting several factories.. So i know what kind of mark ups you buy at, how over producing and over marketing downgrades quality costs to make profit, how they are made, etc..)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I never listen to what vets recommend , they are known for pushing products they get kick backs on. Like up here it was science diet for the longest time, crap food. Id just research your own or use recommendations from others on here who feed similar foods. But as said above if it works for your dogs thats all that matters, some dogs dont do well on the higher end foods just as some dont do well on cheap stuff.

Just curious though as to why he recommended large breed for him? this isnt typically a large breed.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Most vets just go by the "book"... or their check book. I have a great vet...but I cross refference EVERYTHING he recommends...especially when it has to do with nutrition.

Good luck. I'm sure you will find the right food. KM gave you some good info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts