Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have this forest by our house we walk the dogs in all the time we have seen deer , and skunks and raccoons and coyotes but never this close. I was just comming up on a clearing and seen something move thought oh great another lose dog { I had crush with me only, a few days ago i seen movement out of the corner of my eye and this black dog was running full speed at me thought bear at 1st took a minute to realize no just big dog lol } so I figured another dog but then more movement and realized coyotes , there were 5 that I seen all crunched low to the ground and circling around crush n I in the bushes. I have seen coyotes up close before on my horses and really they arent a threat or at least never looked at them as a threat from up top of a horse lol , this was different though . my heart stopped i think lol and very quickly turned around and got out of there and to the closest road. Not sure if they actually would have done anything I most likely just spooked them as they did me but was getting out of there ASAP lol. Crush behaved very well thankfully he was really alert prob smelled them im guessing but stayed calm and listened to my commands well { something he sometimes doesnt do lol , depends on his lil moods} .Anyone ever had a run in with coyotes before? my uncle has been attacked by a wolf and they have had wolves stalk them on hunting trips but never heard of any bad storys with coyotes attacking humans?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
no they just eat all the cats people let outside around me, lol. They are evil though, glad you guys were ok!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol @ all the cats , see they do the same here to justwasnt sure if they would view crush as a meal or not and if i would be enough to scare them away if they did lol. They were bigger then the ones i remember seeing on the horses lol maybe just a diff view point but they looked well fed and not starving lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Scaaaaaaary u never know rabies makes them do crazy things :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yeah, here in Massachusetts whenever I see a MISSING CAT sign my first thought is....looks like another one made into the gut of a coyote. There has been a couple of human attacks around MA over the past few years. Some of these coyotes aren't little either. I have seen one the size of a GSD coming out of a local cemetary near my house! As gorgeous as they are I wouldn't want to be in the situation you were in LOL!! I think I would have crapped my pants LOL!! There was actually an attack around here not to long ago and once they had the coyote in custody he was euthanized weighing in at 70 lbs! That is wolf size IMO not coyote size LOL!!

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
my dogs would have been going nuts.. lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, here in Massachusetts whenever I see a MISSING CAT sign my first thought is....looks like another one made into the gut of a coyote. There has been a couple of human attacks around MA over the past few years. Some of these coyotes aren't little either. I have seen one the size of a GSD coming out of a local cemetary near my house! As gorgeous as they are I wouldn't want to be in the situation you were in LOL!! I think I would have crapped my pants LOL!! There was actually an attack around here not to long ago and once they had the coyote in custody he was euthanized weighing in at 70 lbs! That is wolf size IMO not coyote size LOL!!
see we havent heard of any human attacks but I guess as mentioned above rabies would be a concern. And yes these guys looked well fed to say the least alot bigger then the ones we seen at the barns for sure.

my dogs would have been going nuts.. lol
I was really surprised how calm crush was , his hackles were up and his ears totally perked and tuned into everything tail straigh up as well , but he wasnt freaking or growling or whinning like I would expect he actually was very calm thankfully.Im glad he was that way I was able to focus more on where they were in relation to us and call someone to come meet me at the road lol , wanted to make sure someone knew where exactly i was in the forest if they did come out to start anything.

·
Registered
776 Posts
when i was a kid , my dad and i watched 2 of them play with my wolf... for a few min .. musta did something to make jack mad tho cuz he killed em
before i was in my late teens we never really had them around here . Now they are all over!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
It amazes me how they adapt in the city living in small wooded areas in and around houses and industrial buildings. There is a small pack of 4 that I see over by the river near my work every once in a while. I mean you have Target, Best buy, the Teddy bear peanut butter factory, two big huge professional buildings, and two big apartment buildings and a pack of coyotes in the middle of it all......I actually feel bad for them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
LOL she called me on the cell and was like o crap.I grabbed Loki and went to find them but she was jus coming to the road.I took loki and cali and walked through there about 15 min later and didnt see anything.Loki seemed a lil extra alert though

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
I was really surprised how calm crush was , his hackles were up and his ears totally perked and tuned into everything tail straigh up as well , but he wasnt freaking or growling or whinning like I would expect he actually was very calm thankfully.Im glad he was that way I was able to focus more on where they were in relation to us and call someone to come meet me at the road lol , wanted to make sure someone knew where exactly i was in the forest if they did come out to start anything.
yea, Dre and Diesel would have been spinning on their leashes.. lol.. Daisy would have just been ready

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
^ OMG Aimee (hugs)

sorry I got distracted :D I'm really glad you were both alert and no one was hurt. Oh man I can't even imagine what I'd do. Marley's crazy but would have rushed them for sure, he's my fearless protector.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I really dont know what i would have done, or onyx for that situation. I know i would have been scared to the point if petrified. Onyx is good on scenting fear just from our kids being close to different experiences

I believe you and crush keeping cool saved alot of time. Crush going hot plus your emotions would have proably provoked that group. I am happy to know you are ok and Cali is so close with pack support

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Glad you got out of there safely!

I'm not sure how Whitman would have reacted, most likely though I think he would have been hitting the end of his leash just to see what was in the bushes haha. I'm sure he probably would have gone to work on them had they shown aggression.

I'm sure Firehazard can share some bulldog-coyote stories though if he sees this thread. I know his dogs have met quite a few lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL you know if i had any of my others with me I think thats the reaction I would have gotten , Cali is extremely prey driven and very protective of me when we are out together I would have been alot more hectic had I had her with me for sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
here where i live in TN we have coyote's breeding with domesticated dogs, this could explain why they are getting bigger.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I'm sure Firehazard can share some bulldog-coyote stories though if he sees this thread. I know his dogs have met quite a few lol
I think the coyotes come up on the worse end of the stick. I know racoons stay away from his place after their relatives met his pack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts