Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Bitch Noone Wanted
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been working with some friends rescued pit, she is coming along nicely, we are still working on ppl coming in the front door and her not jumping all over them, but the licking, she licks you ALLLLLLL the time. And I HATE repeating myself with the No Lick command. Is there anything to do to stop this or break her from licking everything on you. Yes she gets plenty of exercise and all that jazz, but like when you go to pet her she licks your hand then while she's sitting there she licks your leg, feet whatever she can get her tongue on it's not only driving me crazy but the owners as well. Just wanted some input on this. Kinda stumped lol. Cause she's to quick for me to grab her tongue lmaooo.

Thanks for any input all. Hugs

· Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I've never tried it on licking but it has worked for other things...

When she starts licking look away from her and ignore her, when she stops go back to pet her and if she starts again look away. Repeat.

You can add a "No" or "Eh eh" in when she starts licking before you turn away too if you want.

They learn that they have to do something you want, such as sit politely, before getting the attention they want. Control over resources. ;)

· Silver VIP Member
597 Posts
If you find something that works, let me know! Nubs is a licker, and by licking I mean, constant lick lick lick. The more excited he is the less he can hold his licking. It's the main reason why I never went the Therapy dog route with him. You can't have a therapy dog that all he wants to do is lick.

If he's around my nephew who is just over 2yrs old, he will dive bomb lick him, and then run away STILL licking the air.

So for Nubs
Happy = LICK!
Sad = LICK
Confused = LICK!
Scared = LICK
Unknown place = LICK
New person = LICK
Child = LICKLICKLICKLICK!!!!
Sitting on the couch relaxing = Random licks.

I gave up on it. He knowns "no kisses" and it will stop him from kissing you but he will still lick the air. I think it was because before he came to me, he was scared of EVERYTHING. I like the licking just made him feel better and he got addicted to it. Now it's just a habit that I don't think he'll ever break. Things did get better as we worked on his confidence, but it just improved by 30% at best.

So good luck! Let me know if you find something that works.

· Registered
73 Posts
my girl does the same thing she can be licken ur face than u go to push her away and she ll lick your hand lol ,iv been tryin something similar to what celestial88 was sayin and it s workin but it takin a lil time for sure ,my friends are holdin me back imo cause they really love her and want the kisses they say it s okay we never seen her in a long time and they get her all excited im workin on them tryin to get them, to understand but i guess that will take time also. one girl i know really loves her and wants a pitbull but i says to her that if she cant help me or at least let me train my dog how will she ever train one of her own she she say s she s gona wait and learn more and she s really comin around

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
You can try bitter apple, when she try licking you hands spray your hands and when she lick say no or eh. That's normally works licking is hard because it is affection and you hate to correct for being affectionate but you also do not want to be a lollipop!

· Bitch Noone Wanted
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good points I have tried the "eh eh" thing and it works for a bit but as soon as you go to pet her it licking, she is a lot like Cindy's Nubs, everything equals licking. Lisa I will try the bitter apple, but it's not just hands she licks, she licks every thing, feet, legs, hands, shoulders what ever. I am gonna try some of these and see if they work. Celestial I have already tried what you suggested but it doesn't work. Hugs to all.

· Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I have one heck of a licker! Exactly what Darkmoon describes. I've pretty much done exactly what Celeste suggested but we aren't too hard on her because we know she's showing affection. She has gotten a lot better now and you don't need a shower every time you sit next to her.

· hrmph
5,364 Posts
LOL does everyone have a licker? gawd!!! Belle refuses to listen to any type of non-licking training. i tried for awhile and she would give the saddest most pathetic face, then casually sneak out her tongue and lick anyways -____________-. the hubby HATES her licking and i don't usually mind it but sometimes she knocks stuff over with her thrashing tail and licking... nothing has worked. she doesn't respond to nasty tastes either (bitter apple spray) lol. she just continues to lick. i feel bad because she is such a loving dog that just wants attention and because of her licking she doesn't get as much as other dogs, ex Rudi doesn't lick that much and she gets snuggled and cuddled all the time. Belle, you can't cuddle her without getting a doggie slobber shower!

· Bitch Noone Wanted
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol Gaa, seems we all have a licker in the midst. The command "no lick" she knows, but you can't even pet her or look at her or anything wothout her licking, and she gets much more attention when she isn't. We are working on it though. lol @ Belle. Hugs

· Bitch Noone Wanted
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lmaooo cEElint, I guess it's a pittie or bully thing, maybe all dogs do it and we just never notice but it is really distracting and upsetting sometimes, she is a super smart girl and I know we will conquer it, when we get it all taken care of I will post and let you all know how it goes :D

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
I put a ball or toy on mels mouth when he would start to lick. Now he needs to find a toy or something to put on his mouth when he is excited lol. One addiction for another I guess but better than getting wet lol

· Premium Member
310 Posts
Lina is a licking fool as well. Most of the times I don't mind it, but other times it's like she gets obsessed with it. And she'll lick anywhere...legs, arms, face...pretty much wherever there is skin showing. It gets to be too much at times and she knows no limits.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.