Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have to share this, it just happen like 20 mins ago, have any of you ever had this happne?!
ok..
i was leaving my house for lunch to come back to work, our mail man was walking up and i didn't see him, well i open my door (not paying attention) and all the sudden i hear someone say 'Good afternoon ma'm' i turn around to see someone standing there and before i realzed it was the mailman i screamed so freaking loud and jumped back, well outta no where here comes kolby snarling and growling at our mail man. (now i know it's the whole dog vs. the mail man thing) but he was actually agressivly going after him. kolby is a social butterfly, and never NEVER went after anyone in any agressive mannor, ..he listened well tho, i have to say my tranning has paid off, b/c when i realized what had happen and what was taking place i called his 'down /come' command and he looked at me, looked back at him, gave one more bark then came back inside and sat behind me. THANK GOD NO ONE WAS HURT. but it just worries me know. he's never acted like this, and i dont know if it's just i was scared and he picked up on that and jumped into action or what. has anyone else ever had this happen to them? should i be worried now? or at lest happy knowing my doggie will step up for me? am i just worriing over nothing? any feed back will help calm my nerves.!!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Dog was protecting his family like any good dog should.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree...sounds like the dog was reacting because he heard you scream and could probably tell you were frightened...no matter who frightened you.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I say go buy him a cheese burger! He was just responding to you that is not a temperament issue and you are really lucky the mailman did not get bit. If the mail man would have gotten bit I would still not blame the dog for protecting you.
Happy everything turned out ok ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with the rest, your dog was just protecting you. The other night my husband and I took Akasha out to back yard where she could run around. All the sudden we heard a noise and it scared me. Akasha flipped out and started growling (we've never heard her growl) and barking at air. The most criminating evidence that she was only being protective was.....she was standing right between my legs and wouldn't move untill I said "down girl" and calmed her down. Then she went off onto her business like nothing happened.

I feel as long as your dog responded to you with her "down/come" command you have nothing at all to worry about.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i will give him that i was such a proud mama when he backed off with his first command. the mail guy was just laughing about the situation he said he wasn't sure who was more scared! LOL! and even petted kolby once he calmed down.
it just came outta no where, i mean he was on him before i could even react. i guess it's good to know he really does have it in him...ya know..i just dont want to have to worry about issues. b/c it is totall out of his charater, like i said he is a social butterfly. thanks for the input everyone! at lest i' know i'm not alone.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If you had been calm and the dog had reacted that way, I'd be really concerned. But in this case he was probably reading your fear. In essence, you're the one that overreacted and he just followed your lead. Switch to decaf. :)

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
He was just feeding off of your energy. The important thing is that he LISTENED to commands when he was in that mode. That says a lot about his temperment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new here but have some insight on this post. If you ever wonder why the mailmen are the target so much it's the repeated daily routine of the mailman coming dropping the mail, the dog freaking out, and the mailman leaving . Every day the dog is left assuming he has succeeded in running the intruder off again and again. This routine becomes dangerous when the dog is able to actually make contact with mailman leaving the dog again completely assured that he can take action without risk of failure. Glad your dog was stopped before something bad happened . Might try introducing your dog to him, it would be better for the dog and your mail carrier, plus he might start bringing treats. My dogs love a good treat,lol.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new here but have some insight on this post. If you ever wonder why the mailmen are the target so much it's the repeated daily routine of the mailman coming dropping the mail, the dog freaking out, and the mailman leaving . Every day the dog is left assuming he has succeeded in running the intruder off again and again. This routine becomes dangerous when the dog is able to actually make contact with mailman leaving the dog again completely assured that he can take action without risk of failure. Glad your dog was stopped before something bad happened . Might try introducing your dog to him, it would be better for the dog and your mail carrier, plus he might start bringing treats. My dogs love a good treat,lol.
You make a very good point on the hole chasing the mail person off. totally makes sence.

our dogs don't really pay much attention to our mailman. they do notice when he stops in front of the house, and that is only if they are out back.

we did have one guy who was afraid of Boomer, it was actually kinda funny. Boomer was out front with all the kids and me and my husband and when he came to our house he stepped off the curb and walked in the street to get around to our mailbox. i could see if Boom was showing any care that he was there but he was more concerned about the kids picking the blackberries, as they were sharing with him.

back to the subject i do totally agree that your pup was just reading you and doing what he felt neccesary. good to know if something ever really did happen.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you had been calm and the dog had reacted that way, I'd be really concerned. But in this case he was probably reading your fear. In essence, you're the one that overreacted and he just followed your lead. Switch to decaf. :)
lol! decaf? oh you mean the 3 amp's per day i drink?! lol!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He was just feeding off of your energy. The important thing is that he LISTENED to commands when he was in that mode. That says a lot about his temperment.
thank you, alot of blood sweat and tears put into his training ..i did it all myself off of what was taught to me by my grandfather. he owned curs all his life.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You make a very good point on the hole chasing the mail person off. totally makes sence.

our dogs don't really pay much attention to our mailman. they do notice when he stops in front of the house, and that is only if they are out back.

we did have one guy who was afraid of Boomer, it was actually kinda funny. Boomer was out front with all the kids and me and my husband and when he came to our house he stepped off the curb and walked in the street to get around to our mailbox. i could see if Boom was showing any care that he was there but he was more concerned about the kids picking the blackberries, as they were sharing with him.

back to the subject i do totally agree that your pup was just reading you and doing what he felt neccesary. good to know if something ever really did happen.
lol! i so agree meg, you know my hubbie asked me last night if that answered my question as to the fact if kolby really had it in him..cuz i can so see him as the one who's like 'hey, mommy keeps the good stuff in here!! ' kinda dog ya know? that does put my mind to ease. b/c our kids see that dog as their own personal soilder, they think he's made of iron or something, and it's good to know he would step it up for the kids.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh just wanted to update everyone! we left a rice crispy treat for the mailman with an i'm sorry note signed with kolby's paw print in the mail box for him today...=) just had to say were sorry again!!!
i hope one day they do become buddies, but i see the whole point of the mail man and the dogs...never thought about it that way...makes sense. good post!

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
he was protecting MAMA..good doogie:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts