Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are such wonderful dogs. Smart, healthy and strong. But dat instinct to chase squirrels and basically anything that runs is so difficult to contain.

Has anyone had success in curtailing their dog's tendency to chase after things?

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
yes, by always having my dog leashed lol In all seriousness you need to desensitize your dog, We have a squirrel who lives in my backyard and used to work my dog up. I would sit outside waiting for the squirrel to show up so my boy would learn to ignore them, now they can run across his path and he doesn't give chase. I would never trust prey drive not to kick in any moment so always have your dog leashed or in a fenced in yard to be safe. Its usually the law in most places.

·
1,859 Posts
These are such wonderful dogs. Smart, healthy and strong. But dat instinct to chase squirrels and basically anything that runs is so difficult to contain.

Has anyone had success in curtailing their dog's tendency to chase after things?
Why the hell would you want a dog with no spirit?

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I want my dog to want to chase after things! HOWEVER, when I say "wait" I want them to wait...you don't want to take the prey drive out of a dog. But it's good to teach them how to control it like Ames said :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
if I Wasn't there he would go for the squirrel in a second and when my sister walks he doesn't ignore them he goes for them. I should have been clearer with what coach said :)

Hash I can't have my boy running in the street after a squirrel or possum but I don't want his spirit gone!

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I would work on obedience training and teaching to deal with distractions. I don't believe you can train the prey drive out of these dogs.. just like I don't believe you can train out dog aggression.. it can be managed and the dog can learn to ignore it and focus on you. But I hear ya.. we have squirrels every morning that tease and terrorize my dogs. lol And I almost had a pretty nasty bike wreck one time, when I was biking with my male and he saw a SQUIRREL! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts