Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker told me this morning at work she almost bought an english bulldog for $1600 but then didn't. I asked her if she showed dogs and she said no, she had "always wanted one."
Immediately, I started on my education of "You will spend almost the amount of a down payment of a car on something you know nothing about and don't have any paperwork to back it up?"
Now granted it was an ENGLISH bulldog but I told her all about what type of paperwork we look for and the titles. registrations and bloodlines we look for and the health testing we look for and depending on what we are looking for the bloodlines not to mention the basic shot records of the pup... you know the usual responsible breedeer stuff.
Her mouth dropped and said, " I didn't know it was so involved." My response to that was, "Anytime a stranger in a parking lot is asking me to let go of my hard earned money on a house pet that could at any time get stolen or hit by a car ot get sick and die, I want to see paperwork. I want to see what I am spending the money I worked so long and hard to save for is buying." She went and got her notebook and wrote all of what I said down. I felt like I did the right thing about responsible breeders but how much do BYB English bulldogs go for--if anyone here knows? :confused:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i think you did a good thing for your co-worker and get her an education on her next dog..now she knows what to look for. good job +1 rep point coming :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really love English Bulldogs and wanted to get one for the longest time, until I read up on them and saw all the health problems associated with them. The cheapest I have ever seen puppies was 800 with 2000 being the average in my area. You really did your co-worker a good service today GREAT JOB!!:)

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
I don't know anything about English Bulldogs, but that's more than I'm willing to pay for any kind of dog of any breed.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
It doesn't matter what breed of dog a person is looking into buying, I always pass on what I've learned from this forum to people who talk about wanting any kind of pure-bred dog. First of all, know your breeder:

Do they health test their animals?
How often are they breeding?
What age are the animals being bred at (never too early)?
Why are they breeding?
Do they show their dogs? Are they titled?
If you are unable to keep your dog for whatever reason are they willing to take the dog back?

The list goes on and on. I also tell people to consider what they want to do with their dog. A person might want a certain breed, but when it comes down to it, that breed of dog might not be ideal for their lifestyle. Example, a highly prey driven dog might not be the best dog to take hiking since they could potentially run off and you might not be able to recall them.

Good post bluefam! We all come into contact with people like everyday and we should do our part to educate those who are willing to listen!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
EBs from reputable breeders go for about $2500. If you see one for less, be very suspicious. The costs associated with breeding EBs are very high, and they often have litters on the smaller side, about 90% of EBs are born by C-section, and many need to be incubated and hand raised for a week or more because the dams often lay on them. Most breeding are done with artificial insemination, because they have difficulty mating in many cases.

The dangers of getting an EB from a BYB are pretty much as bad as it gets, however if you buy from a reputable breeder that has hips heart etc certified you can have a very healthy dog. There are other factors though, are you prepared for a dog who may never be able to go down the stairs? We have to carry my EB because he fell once and now won't even try, he can go down stairs with 3-4 steps max, anything else, he waits to be carried, so no 3rd floor walk ups. They also over heat and are not outside dogs. In the summer, they need constant AC, my EB passed out once because i let it get to about 85 in the house. I also have to wipe his tushie after he poops, and I have to clean his wrinkles every day.

That being said, they are GREAT dogs. Mine comes to work everyday, and is the office celebrity. He is healthy so far, and the most even tempered dog you have ever seen. If you are prepared to have a dog you can and must baby, than an EB is a great choice. They are not for beginner dog owners, because they are very Bully, and are stubborn, and love to chew and nip, and need to be broken of those habits as puppies. I love my EB, but he makes people think they are an easy breed because he is so quiet and lazy, but they are a handful and a half.

·
Registered
962 Posts
good for you "bluefamily" for just stating some facts. it doesn't sound like you were condescending, which will make people Not listen.
i've always heard that EBs are a pricey breed, when papered or not. you may also mention the health problems that come with the breed. my husband used to think he wanted one until we started looking into it. we couldn't have one where we lived before because it was too hot and dry in the summer, and it would be hard to own one here because of the hot summers and humid winters. while i've always heard they are good dogs, they are very stubborn and they take a lot of work.

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
Those dogs are Bank... Ive seen sloppy ones sell for $2500 HAHAHAHAHA. rediculous. I think you did a great job. Ill hit you with some rep when i get some LOL. im out again.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
In our area you can get quality dogs and worthless dogs from anywhere between $1500-$3000. But what you'll end up paying in vet fees on these dogs can get much higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts