Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

67year old new member here. New to the forums but not new to bulldogs. I raised Pits and AmStaffs back in my 20s. Had good dogs….Pit from Witherspoon in Oklahoma (grand sire on cover of Gazette) and Staffs from the X-pert line.

Haven’t owned a bulldog in 40 Years but recently rescued two. My male in the pic is Blue, would have never selected That color on purpose but you play the hand you’re dealt. He’s a good looking boy just a little fat. Since I’ve had him I’ve trained him both on leash and off leash as he’s too much dog not to control. Long winded but here’s my question, in the pics you can see the light spots on his belly, thighs and underarms. These were in place when I found him but it might be my imagination that they seem to be worse now. No sores or allergies associated with them, just the discoloration. Any thoughts or opinion on what this might be?

thanks in advance for your assistance,

Robert

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,794 Posts
Allergies. The curse of the blue bull breeds. Breeding for color has destroyed immune systems. Use the search function above and I'm sure you'll find multiple posts with me chiming in from my own experiences. My last bull was blue and it as an experience. Needless to say I've learned a lot about nutrition and supplements over the years. Start with some local bee pollen and a good probiotic. Milder cases will clear up and stay away with those supplements.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Were do I find local bee pollen?
I suspect Willow might have mild allergies, she does the feet licking thing at meal times, but she's Willow, so it could be anxiety...she's special!😜😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to ensure I’m giving you guys the right input on Jacks light colored spots. Are those light spots blemishes from previous outbreaks before I found him or are those light spots the allergy itself. I’ve got both of my bulldogs on sensitive skin and stomach kibble and he’s never had a rash or outbreak since I’ve had him. Bit I’m paranoid and can’t quite tell whether the spots have increased or not. The vet believes they are from previous outbreaks but she’s pretty green.

Thanks

Robert

·
Administrator
4,794 Posts
I want to ensure I’m giving you guys the right input on Jacks light colored spots. Are those light spots blemishes from previous outbreaks before I found him or are those light spots the allergy itself. I’ve got both of my bulldogs on sensitive skin and stomach kibble and he’s never had a rash or outbreak since I’ve had him. Bit I’m paranoid and can’t quite tell whether the spots have increased or not. The vet believes they are from previous outbreaks but she’s pretty green.

Thanks

Robert
Sorry. Pic was small on my phone. The skin inside his thigh may be from previous issues. But may also just be skin coloring. Ecko had a splotchy chest like that and he didn't get hives there. I just assume it was his coloring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so far, the Science Diet sensitive skin and Stomach has prevented any outbreaks. I do give Molly Apoquel daily to help with paw licking and I gave it to Jack when I initially rescued him as he was in bad shape. I don’t like how it seems to make loose stools.
Robert

·
Administrator
4,794 Posts
so far, the Science Diet sensitive skin and Stomach has prevented any outbreaks. I do give Molly Apoquel daily to help with paw licking and I gave it to Jack when I initially rescued him as he was in bad shape. I don’t like how it seems to make loose stools.
Robert
I've never liked Apoquel. It's not good for the liver either. That is a last ditch effort in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I have been concerned using it. My Blue Piebald had a problem with hives a year ago and Apoquel cleared it up. When I take her off the med, her paw licking and resulting discoloration of her paws begins. I will research the forum for alternatives since I would like to get her off the med

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in anyone’s opinion, are the lights spots on Jacks’s thighs and stomach scars from past infection or are they an active infection or skin condition?

thanks

·
Administrator
5,636 Posts
Winmag,

That is nothing to be concerned with. Here is a picture of my blue female's belly. She didn't have them when she was a pup but they developed in time. It's just a pigment thing.

Bedrock Fur Terrestrial animal Rock Natural material

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jttar,

Thanks for the information and detailed pic! Knowing all of the horror stories about blue dogs I was concerned, But, doesn't look like I need to be.. Is it also on the inside of her thighs (see my pic) and to a lessor degree behind her ears?

Thanks

Winmag

·
Administrator
5,636 Posts
Hi Jttar,

Thanks for the information and detailed pic! Knowing all of the horror stories about blue dogs I was concerned, But, doesn't look like I need to be.. Is it also on the inside of her thighs (see my pic) and to a lessor degree behind her ears?

Thanks

Winmag
Just another blue dog quirk. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts