Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is the drill. We had new people move in behind us (which I don't mind)-- However, they have 5 of the loudest kids I could ever imagine. This is not a huge deal because it is just during the day but it is obnoxious at times. My problem is coming in with the dogs though, they are so used to no neighbors besides older couples and quiet living. I have noticed on a few occasions when the kids are outside O'Malley (my APBT) and Ember (Black Labrador) flip out-barking,running fence line, and even a few growls. Now, I have NEVER had either of my dogs show ANY aggression to kids other than this. We have friends with kids that my dogs allow to crawl all over them and run with them in the yard. How should I go about correcting this? I don't want to make it seem like punishment for loud noise reaction in general but rather pacing the fence acting a fool with kids present....ya know? I have been placing them in thier kennel for now but why should they be confined to a kennel when they have an entire huge fenced yard to run?!

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
It sounds like based on what you are describing that they need to be more socialized with these type of sounds and activity. Did you socialize them as pups during all types of situations, including loudness and more heavily traffic areas?

Is either of their fur standing up in the back? Ears back? Do they appear to be confident when this happens or more unsure? It sounds like its a mixture of not being exposed all that much to the type of situation paired with the inability to comprehend what is going on.. Meaning they are perceiving the children as a threat (more or less) vs understanding there is no perceived threat and its just kids being kids.

Given you do not know any more how O'Malley was bred, it could be genetics surfacing.. Unstable temperament. Ember, i don't remember the story on so if you are also unsure how Ember was bred, it might go to reason. Though, this is just a theory as of now as this is the first time it has become a problem and its hard to accurately say one or the other without actually being there and seeing first hand.

How do they do with other kids? Are they tolerable? Do they care? Loud noises? New people? Any other information can help determine whats going on.

If its only "loud kids" that is setting them off, the best thing you can do is slowly work with them not only socializing them to these sounds and activity levels but also work with them to where they understand its nothing that warrants this type of behavior. During this period it would be best to use a muzzle during these exercises as the last thing you want is a reaction bite. Stay calm and in short bursts. Over stressing either is something you MUST look at carefully as you will be taking a huge step in the wrong direction and risk breaking mentality all together which can be harder to correct.

This is all assuming there is not a deeper issue at hand, lack of stable mentality can be a concern especially paired with non socialized, lack of overall stability, nerves, etc.

I hope all this makes sense, i have the worst (and first ever) hangover and i'm about as functional as a wall.. torn in half.. on fire.. drenched with gasoline. lol

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for a response KM :)

O'Malley has always been well socialized just as Ember.

I have NEVER had any issue with other children causing a reaction out of them. These children are just beyond wild. I cannot tell a kid how to act whom isn't mine though. Hair is up on both dogs. Ears not pinned back. They both do well with loud situations and children which is wht this reaction caught me off guard with both of them.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
My boy had issues with local kids, they antagonized the dogs through the fence, even poking things, and they'll walk by barking and growling, acting idiotic and their parents won't do crap. (Thankfully the worst of them moved)

I started taking him out into the front yard and doing LAT (Look At That) training with him. He'd get rewarded for glances (on cue) at the kids and pretty soon they were a more positive stimulus. I like to take him out for fun, quick pace obedience training while they're outside. He's much better now, before I was more comfortable with his reaction I kept him on a long line just to be safe since the fence in our front yard is short. (They're never outside unsupervised.)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Sounds like over-arousal coupled with some barrier frustration. The LAT method recommended by Celeste is excellent for changing the way a dog perceives a stimulus. When you aren't working with them, I would make sure they aren't practicing the behavior (as KM mentioned) because that adrenaline rush can be FUN.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
This may be reaching a bit far here, but what if you give them time to get settled (the new neighbors) and take your dogs over, one at a time, and introduce yourself to the parents and children (after speaking with the parents without the dogs in hand, making sure it's okay), and slowly introduce the dogs and the new neighbors, so they can get used to them and their rambunctious ways? Also, as Celeste and Km suggested, working on those issues when the kids are outside. Maybe it would help curb the non-desired behavior if they actually met the children and knew there was nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
901 Posts
You may be seeing this because it is new to them. They can't tell what is causing the ruckus and they are reacting to it. What type of fence is it? Chain linked? Wood slats? Can they see the children at all? Can the children see them,poke, or tease them through the fence?
I know when kids come to my house Beasltey goes wild with excitement, so he is placed behind the gate until he calms then he is allowed out. They (kids/dog) run around and have a good time but when they get rambunctious everyone including the kids gets quiet time to de-escalate. They may be feeding off the frenzy in the yard if they are that wild.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Socialized yes, will it work? That's what I've had to contend with.
That's one of the hardest things to do with the dog, harder to get SOME owners to learn for themselves then attain the willingness to follow through with the program.
I find owner failure to be predominant to dog problems.
To many owners not enough handlers and managers. I learned with my first pit 33 years ago, that they required me to be the responsible one. Accountable, strong and firm handed.
In my eyes the pit bull, in A social setting is superior to anything. Including A gun. a gun can jam, misfire or not be available. They are the ultimate warrior in the urban realm. Most folks think the pit is A pet. I beg to differ.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
This may be reaching a bit far here, but what if you give them time to get settled (the new neighbors) and take your dogs over, one at a time, and introduce yourself to the parents and children (after speaking with the parents without the dogs in hand, making sure it's okay), and slowly introduce the dogs and the new neighbors, so they can get used to them and their rambunctious ways? Also, as Celeste and Km suggested, working on those issues when the kids are outside. Maybe it would help curb the non-desired behavior if they actually met the children and knew there was nothing to worry about?
(I HAVE THA SAME PROBLEM~~~)
Thats sounds Like a great idea, However to be Honest I dont care for the People around here and i dont trust the fact that if they think the Dogs Know them they could Hop my Fence and Try and steal things from my garage's is what im affreaid of. Diamond Runs the fence and Barks with her Ears up and hair standing , so as soon as I put her out my wife is Openeing the door yelling " Diamond Come"..and back inside she goes ;( . Im now thinking of a bark Collar and was going to make this a thread today...Im glad you brought this up, hahahah..Sorry your having the problem to SFRN..

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This isn't a lack of socialization of my dog, he goes out with me all the time and has been to many loud events. I feel as though they are bringing him to an irritated point cause of the constant shrieking and screaming followed with 4+ kids running haywire when he is use to a quiet setting at home.

Things have gotten better though, I have a tethering system for each dog in my yard and have started using them again. This allows them to see the kids, hear them, and avoid the charging of the fence. I have been monitoring it and giving a "leave it" command when either dog starts and they have been good at listening. Liver treats have been my best friend with them. I do not want them to think it is okay for anyone to enter our yard but on the same token they need to know what goes on outside the fence isn't thier concern, especially when it consist of children.

I have spoken to the father and he stated he has had APBT's before and has no issues with the breed which is a plus and said that maybe one day when he is walking with his children I could bring the dogs out and let them meet them on a neutral ground. Both my dogs adore kids I just think the loudness of a pack of kids in a usually quiet area had then stirred up.

Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts