Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

At the start of the month my wife and I brought home a 3 yeard old female APBT rescue to our house. At first she got along great with our 9 year old Amstaff, but we noticed that our Amstaff had a bit of food aggression due to never having to eat by another dog. We were feeding them split up, but we still had a few times when our Amstaff got snappy around areas he percieved as "food" areas, like by the pantry where we kept his treats, and by his kennel where he had been fed for years. The two would both sleep on our bed, ride in our cars, and play in the yard fine, but they got into about 4 fights around these "food" areas, one of them was pretty bad, and I had to break them up which was kinda traumatic for me as our Amstaff has always been really sucky, and this APBT seems like just a cuddle bug. Anyway, my wife and I decided to bring the APBT back to her foster, which broke our heard as she was an amazing dog. Since then we keep thinking about her, and talking with the foster as well as the lady who runs the organization, and wondering if we made a mistake. We wonder if taking them both to a trainer, and some work would help, but also wonder if it's fair to our Amstaff being that he has been an only dog for the last 9 years. Anyone have some advice for us?

Thanks.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
crate and rotate... crate and rotate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure my wife and I could do that. Our Amstaff never gets crated unless he is misbehaved (which is never) and has the run of the house while we are at work. He is a really good dog, and has never done anything except sleep while were away. I can't take that away from him now.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
then you probly shouldnt have another dog... you never know when the worst could happen and lettin them run free together is just asking for the worse :D

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Jessie has a very valid point, even if your AmStaff is not being bad, and the dogs are now not getting along, CRATE and ROTATE period, or you will com eohome to some very damaging site some day. If you love your dogs it is best for them or just rehome the younger one like everyone else would cause they didn't think all the way thru about gettin two bulldogs in one household. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't currently have the female, we brought her back to the rescue organization. When we were gone the dogs were never alone together, as I know that is a bad situation. The APBT was crated, and our Amstaff did his thing in the lower half of our house. My wife and I were just wondering if we gave up too early, or if it's just best to have just one dog...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we have numerous dogs and feeding together is always a BIG no no they are each crated and fed in seperate areas of the house. If you are willing to continue crating the female at least having one crated and one out is an option as long as the one crated gets out time as well if they dont get along it would mean your am staff go outside while the female runs inside or vice versa or atleast cnfined to another room. If your not willing to crate and rotate { doesnt mean 2 crates just means one is confined to a yard, kennel , crate , bedroom something} while the other is free, then it isnt worth the risk and I say you did the right thing. The other option is maybe help find an appropriate home for the female so she isnt in foster for long be part of the solution for her. :) best of luck.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Sounds to me like you gave up to early, and if you are gonna have more than one dog of a particular breed crating and rotating is best. z

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the wife and I have already offered to volunteer with the organization. If we had to crate and rotate I don't think that would be what we want as they both want to be around us, and when it's -30 in the winter would suck even more. Thing is I have friends with multiple dogs/ pits and they seem fine, although they both while at work. Oh well, guess well be a one dog family. Kinda sucky though as the female APBT was a really special dog.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have multiple dogs of this breed who live just happily together during the day { a couple are food aggressive } so big reason to always feed seperate and avoid food out in the open where they canget competitive for it. having food aggression doesnt mean they cant be together during the day { unless signs are there that they just dont get along} I think everyone was just preparing you for the worst case scenario. If your freinds have multiples who live together all the time and are left alone together they may end up with one of the 1000000 storys about comming home to a blood bath , not saying it will happen but thats the kinda thing you hear " oh they grew up and were always fine together n then BAM" somthing happens. Seperating when you arent home is key or at night. If you arent prepared for the worse case scenario then you are right in the decission you have made and this isnt the breed to have multiples with for you. No point taking a dog in on the well if they get along attitude and then end up having to rehome a year down the line would be so much harder on the dog and most likely you as well. at least you found out early enough to be able to bring her back and hopefully the next home does the research before hand and will be a forever home . I hope you stick around though would love to see pictures of your am staff and hear more about him :)

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Crating should never be used as a punishment.

Bruno had food aggression,over his bowl. So I just got rid of the bowl,and toss food on the ground for the dogs. Haven't seen Bruno snap since.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
as long as they are never left alone and you keep them out of the food area and not feed them together, that's basically what a low level crate and rotate is, for dogs that get along but not all the time. You may never be able to stop them from getting into a fight, but just never leave them alone together or be around food areas together and you should be OK. The friends you have that have not had any issues are lucky and one day may come home to a hurt dog or cat or anything else that is not separated when they are not home.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If the possibility of crate and rotate bothers you, it'd probably be best not to foster any more dogs. Your heart is in the right place, but the reality of combat-bred dogs doesn't leave a whole lot of room for what the heart wants. I have two girls that have been around each other for years, and you would think they'd be able to be best buds, play together, and just be cool. Unfortunately, if I don't crate/rotate them, they will seriously damage each other. And the more accidental tussles they have, the better they get at it, the quicker they bust each other up, the worse it gets. They will even try to fight through the crate if I leave one out and the other crated. I had a male a few years back who grew up with the two girls, and he got into some bad fights with them, too.

I mean, you could possibly manage with one other appropriate dog, but you'd have to be dang vigilant about those triggers -- like the food areas you describe. To give another example with my older dog, she will snap at another animal that comes near her if she's even in the same room as food. She once gave an ugly snarl to our cat for walking near her when she was laying across the room from where one of us was eating. That's an example of a trigger-based aggression -- meaning its sparked by something specific, doesn't just happen because the other animal is there -- which has a degree of manageability. But! If you're going to be fostering, I think its best if you resign yourself to the probability of having to crate/rotate anyway. Its not fair to send another dog back to the rescue because you failed to properly prepare for the reality and eventuality of having two bulldogs together. That is not a slam at you, although I know it sounds incredibly negative. Its a hard lifestyle to embrace, but many of us here have to do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If I were you, I'd take a deep-down look at what you can truly live with and go from there.

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
Registered
614 Posts
Jessie has a very valid point, even if your AmStaff is not being bad, and the dogs are now not getting along, CRATE and ROTATE period, or you will com eohome to some very damaging site some day. If you love your dogs it is best for them or just rehome the younger one like everyone else would cause they didn't think all the way thru about gettin two bulldogs in one household. :D
:goodpost:

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
I think everyone here has given you sound advice (as far as crate/rotate and not using the crate for punishment). Dogs don't understand time-outs and using a crate to put them on a time-out for unwanted behavior only makes them hate going into the crate at all, especially if they don't remember what they did wrong and why they're being put in the crate to start with.

Lindsay said it best as far as what these dogs are, and what your heart wants. Unfortunately, you have to be vigilant and not set the dog(s) up for failure whether they're your own, or just fosters. Stick around a while, get to know us and the breeds a bit more, and maybe after a while of volunteering at the rescue and seeing what makes these dogs tick... maybe, just maybe you'll be ready to add a second dog to the household. Best of luck to you and I hope to see more of you and your senior boy around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I think I should explain. I've been typing on my IPhone, a couple words got missed. I'm not new to the breed, as I've had my Amstaff for 9 years. The reason my dog never goes in the crate is that is just what I've done for the last 9 years as he is very well behaved. The last time he was in it was like 8 years ago. My friends that have multiple dogs all crate their dogs when out, and that is what I was doing with this APBT while out as well, and my dog would be out, but in a separate area of the house. I guess I was just hoping the two dogs would get along better together, as my male literally gets along with all females of any breed, and 95% of males...he's just really sweet like that. The APBT is also very sweet, and they were doing great together for almost two weeks. I guess I just freaked out when they fought as my male has never been in a fight, and it was a bit much for me...I'm kinda soft that way, as I hate seeing animals in pain. Maybe we are just better as a one dog family. We just thought that we love the breed, and wanted to help out. Maybe volunteering is the best way for us to help out. Thanks for all the help, and I'll try to get some pics of my boy up...seeing as we have hundreds of pictures of him.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
The Am Staff and the APBT are two very seperate breeds. please DO NOT mistake one for the other. With that being said Lindsay does have soem awesome points as does Jessie. If you can't crate and rotate then it is best to stay a one dog house and NOT foster anything of a pit or bully breed in your house. I had multiple dogs and had to learn the hard way myself after two accidents and a trip to the vet and stitches to crate and rotate and I am a stay at home nanny. NEVER EXPECT A BULLDOG NOT TO FIGHT. Good luck but keep you Am Staff by itself and get a differenet breed in you rhome :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts