Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So about an hour ago we let our 12 week old lab out to go potty in our side yard. Some how she got out of the fence and went over the neighbors, well he is a tow truck driver and apparently had a call. Our pup happened to be behind his tire. We all heard her yelp. Well he said she ran back towards the yard. My husband and I found her. We checked her over, she was walking fine and 10 minutes later starts going down heel quick. We call vets around our area to see who will see her. We find only one. They are called Asher, well they told us that they refused to see her unless we had $400 up front, for checking her in, xrays, and possible ivs. Then if they couldn't save her we had to pay to have her euthanized but if they could then we would have to pay by Friday for the surgery. They said they didn't do payments or anything. Well we don't even have $100 in the bank right now until Friday (payday) because my husbands grandmother just passed 2 days ago and we helped fly out some family members and everything last minute. I called that vet every name in the book and told them it was animal cruelty to not even give her a fighting chance to even look at her. They told me there was nothing they could do unless we had the money, then she had the nerve to hang up on me. I called back and told them I had a horse I could possibly trade or do some kind of bargaining just for care for her, I know I sound desperate but this is our baby girl, only 3 months old, the receptionist laughed at me and once again hung up on me. :( My husband is with "Haley" this whole time while I am arguing with this stupid vet clinic. Well she passes away. I am sure the vet would have told us there was nothing they could have done, but that wasn't the point. I needed help, our precious pup needed their help, and they were so money hungry that they refused to even take a look at her. What is wrong with this world today. Why did this have to happen, I don't understand. I feel like this was my fault because I didn't watch her go potty. She sleeps in a crate at night but right before my daughter goes to bed we let her out to go potty in the yard and apparently there was a hole somewhere that she squeezed through. She has never did it before so I didn't expect this to happen. :cry: I am so devasted. This was our beatiful baby girl and she just turned 3 months today!! I just ask myself why!!

We will miss you Haley Bug!!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
OMG I am so sorry for your loss what a beautiful lab puppy don't be hard on yourself accidents happen sometimes we don't see the unforseeable ... I know it won't bring her back and I can't imagine how you must feel right now but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and If there is anything I can do let me know. I had a similar exp but I was able to find a vet after hours of searching who worked with us to make payments and have held onto him every since and I was turned away like you and was told all they could do was put the puppy to sleep. Our older male attacked this puppy and it cost over 1200.00 to repair the damage we just didnt have that kind of money at that time to pay for the surgery but by maricle we found a vet who worked with us and we were able to save this puppies life. So I know how frusturating it can be you would think vets would be more sensitive to sick or hurt animals but it's just not the case you will be lucky to find a really good vet who will work with you I know I just couldn't watch a sick animal suffer and if their is something I could do money would not stop me from saving an animals life. But sadly most vets dont see it that way.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! I will keep you and the family in my prayers. You had a beautiful pup, and I know you did the very best you could. It's such a devastating event to lose a family member.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I am so very very sorry. I just had a loss too so I will hand over my kleenex. I am so very sorry and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hang in there.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Man thats sad. Hate to hear it. Was defiently a beautiful pup.

You may wanna try out CareCredit for any emergencies in the future. Interest rate is outrageous but is great for accidents when youre tight on cash.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Haley was a beautiful girl. I don't know why some vets are like that. I guess money is everything for them. You and your family are in my thoughts.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
I am so sorry hun, but try not to beat yourself up over it...I felt sooo guilty about just not thinking when I let the dogs down stairs and they killed my best birdie friend, but accidents happen...

I am sorry that no one would reach out and help you either in your time of need, but she is in a better more beautiful place now.

Run free at Rainbow Bridge little Hayley!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your very kind words. It is hard to not beat myself up about it but like you say, "Accidents do happen", it just hurts to know that a pup so young and very well loved had to be ripped away from our family. She just had the saddest most painful look in her eyes. My husband held her in his arms crying until she past away. He thinks she had internal bleeding since she went so fast because everything on the outside looked totally fine. No scrapes, cuts or anything. I know we have only owned her for 4 weeks but it feels like we have had her for a lifetime. I bought her as a gift for my husband and him and her went everywhere together. That was his little Haley Bug. Well thanks again for all your kind words and thoughts, it helps to know that there are people out there that do care unlike some vets I know!

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
Ya, it's really hard these days to find a vet willing to work with you. I guess they've been burned by people, and then OUR ANIMALS have to suffer because a few deadbeats didn't pay their bills.

Haley was a beautiful pup, and I'm sure she's happy now wherever she is. Just be thankful she didn't suffer too long. Poor baby.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. That is horrible how your dog was not provided with the emergency care that she deserved. It's disgusting how the life of a dog is not taken seriously sometimes. I hope that you don't beat yourself over this, and be happy that she is now in a better place. Think of all the happy memories that she brought to your life and all the love that you gave her.

Keep your head up :)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
omg! i'm sooo sorry for your loss..it's horrible that no one would help, exp. the ppl who you would think would be the first ones ! what's wrong with ppl now days! i will give our vets that much, when little man got hit i rushed him rite in and the vet that was the closest to us saw him, all they did was call his doc. and have the paper worked faxed over to them so they could treat him. just take peace in knowing she's in a better place than we are, and she has a whole sky to run around in now! she'll always be with you. our prayers are with you.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Oh I am so sorry. With most vets it all comes down to money. That the reason I never went to school to be a vet. I don't have the heart to tell someone I can't help there animal because they don't have the money. Pet medical insurance is a great thing to have at times like this. Poor thing, at least she isn't suffering. again I am so sorry for you guys.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yah I don't know what the world has come to. I mean, when I lived in Texas in a very small town, we had a vet there who was middle aged but did everything for the animal and not the money. Once we had a kitten, a few days old that was attacked by my grandparents weiner dog, the insides were coming out. My grandmother called the vet at 3 a.m. and he rushed right over, took the kitten and 4 days later brought her back to our house and she did awesome. He sent us a bill with payments, it was this.
1. Mow the lawn
2. Come and give the animals at the vet some attention
3. Rake the yard
He understood the concept of an emergency and an animal needing care right away, and he was always there for you no matter what time of day. When we needed to go in for spay/neuter routine shots, etc. He would just charge $5 as the visit and send the actual bill and you always had a choice of payments or a 1 time sum. I will never forget him and I hope to someday find another vet just as caring as Dr. Cox. He treated our horses, goats, dogs, cats, squirrels, everything without charging a ridiculous fee up front. If you didn't have a penny on you at the time your animal needed help, he would still take the animal and would work something out with you later. More people need to be like him in my opinion. This world has just fallen too money hungry for it's own good and I hate to see the direction it is going!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am sorry for your loss... I had a dog for 13 yrs and she was hit by a car one night and died instantly...never can prepare your self for something like that no matter how hard you try.

On the other hand, please remeber that vets do have bills and families to care for just like everyone else. And yes, due to those who take advantage of those who at one time are willing to help customers out, it is hard to run a business and keep the doors open (pay employees, bills, equipment, insurance, license (both for vet and building and state in some places), taxes, etc.) if all you have are iou's in the register. Not saying everyone does this, but if you are established customer, then it is more likely or possible that you can/will be worked with as far as payment. Vets by no means get paid like medical doctors as some would think. Of course, location plays a major roll in pay scale like every other profession.

Sarah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts