Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Karma is 4 years old and is a good dog except for the above behavior that we would like to stop. One friend of my sons in particular Karma just does not like. The boy who is 12 is very sweet and is not aggressive with her and he walks away from Karma but I am nervous when he comes over due to her reaction to him. We generally place Karma outside when he comes to the house or in her kennel if the weather is bad. If Karma does try to nip at him, we immediately remove him from the room and are stern with her. Karma will try to nip at him even when we are in the room.

Help and advice would be appreciated.

With thanks,
Donna

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
BY kennel... do you mean crate?? or a dog kennel, which is outdoors generally unless indoor/outdoor kennels are specifically made.

You should put the dog in the crate before the boy arrives.. let everything settle and let the dog out of the crate.. if she becomes disruptive again correct with an (AT) sound from the gut if she does it again; correct her with AT.. and put her back in the crate. Don't take her out again while the boy is there. Do this for about a hand full of visits, with the right technique you'll squash it.. If in a hand full of times this does not work, then simply crate her while the boy is there from here on, until you can get hands on correction training (for you not the dog) dog needs management to be "trained."

TAKE NO CHANCES with dogs that go after kids in any way.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Same thing I really wanna say.. Just appeasing the tender hearted..

IN short.. Ol yellar treatment..... Thats hard for a lot of folks to swallow.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Well it appears we all agree on this one. I don't care how much I love my dog. If there's a worry in my mind that that dog would hurt a child it would be buried in the back yard. NOBODY can accuse me of not loving my dogs but that's the end all for me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
BY kennel... do you mean crate?? or a dog kennel, which is outdoors generally unless indoor/outdoor kennels are specifically made.

You should put the dog in the crate before the boy arrives.. let everything settle and let the dog out of the crate.. if she becomes disruptive again correct with an (AT) sound from the gut if she does it again; correct her with AT.. and put her back in the crate. Don't take her out again while the boy is there. Do this for about a hand full of visits, with the right technique you'll squash it.. If in a hand full of times this does not work, then simply crate her while the boy is there from here on, until you can get hands on correction training (for you not the dog) dog needs management to be "trained."

TAKE NO CHANCES with dogs that go after kids in any way.
Good advice!

When your dog leaves the crate or kennel are they all excited and running out? You need to keep the energy down and tell people not to reach down or interact with your dog at all. Don't even look at them. Wait for the dog to be relaxed they will go up and sniff people need to resist the urge to engage the dog. Unless they are willing to let your dog explore and be comfortable in the new situation before they try too you need to leave your dog separated all the time from children. It's not worth the risk. Especially if the child is too young to follow directions. I wish I could tell some kids to STFU. To me thats what a nip is, but I wasn't there so I cant say for sure. I dont like many kids I encounter I wouldn't expect all dogs too like all kids either. Maybe it is the tone of the voice or smell who knows. Get a behaviorist in to evaluate if you think it's a bigger problem or more frequent. Sounds to me your not to sure how to read your dogs body language if she is given a chance to nip. You need to look for the signs she is not pleased before she reacts: growl, nip, bite etc.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Much have a nice 12 year old. Any of the youngns I know would pick precious up and slam her on her face for biting them..... guess round our parts we just dont play those games.... if it was my dog nipping a child it'd eat a boot. Happened again dead for sure.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts