Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year we downsized our property and got this little house, we got an awesome deal but it was a rental and needs work. We have been making little improvements here and there and this summer the big thing was getting the yard done. I AM SO SICK OF DIRT AND WEEDS! So we have been prepping the yard for over a week an laid sod this weekend. Here is our story and Belle's story too ;)

Pictures of the house while we are getting it ready for sod

Before the tilling and Belle

prepping and tilling

The hard work of tilling

Leonard on the tractor leveling the yard

Justin hanging out watching us build him a yard and Belle babysitting

Belle practicing her new trick..... the stay...... in our way! lol

you can tell Belle was a street dog and knows how to get a drink

Adding soil and peat moss and back to tilling

Leonard and Belle taking a break, yeah she did a lot! lol

YAY 7 pallets of sod arrive!!

Ummm Belle you might have to move! Hello Belle...... U ok?

She bugged her dad moved her, look at that stank eye!!

Back to her nap!

YAY one side done!!

Umm Belle that grass is really for Justin, you know that right?

YAY the other side is getting done

Belle's new yard

So a story about these guys who came and helped us. All the help we had lined up bailed out and it was just us laying all the sod. We ended up having a lot of extra sod so I put an add on craigslist. If someone came and helped up lay the rest down I would give them the rest of the sod or $200 takes it. These great guys same down and helped up lay the rest down. They were awesome!!

In a few weeks when we finish the edges and it thickens up I will take more pictures.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Daaaaaaaaaayum Gina! Puttin in work! Love the pics of Justin and Belle. Kangol said, "That bitch Belle is right up my alley. She knows how to rewax like a champ!" ;)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Looking good! Belle looks like a snorer to me...

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I love it that Belle has such a great home now. She is looking so content like she doesn't have a care in the world; just as it should be.

So did you roll around in that lovely grass when you were done?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
YAY Grass!! Looks good Lisa! And Belle looks as happy as she could be in her new home :) As for Justin......He is just so precious :) Hope you have fun rolling around in that grass with your son and the dogs.......Maybe even Leonard to lol! ;)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Those are awesome pix!!! The picture of justin is great! The pictures of belle with all her energy and enthusiasm is awsome too! lol The yard looks great! Kinda crappy "the help" bailed out

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Oh wow Lisa it looks good, can't wait to see when it is finished and Belle was a street dog? Did I miss the story, lol. hahah I am a blonde remember :p

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Looks great!

I'm pretty sure the hardest worker out of the lot of you was Belle though. Look how dedicated she is to her task. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh wow Lisa it looks good, can't wait to see when it is finished and Belle was a street dog? Did I miss the story, lol. hahah I am a blonde remember :p
Belle is a foster who was found roaming open space and people where feeding her till she finally got rescued. We started fostering her about 2-3 weeks ago. Poor old girl is a mess, she has cancer and is heartworm positive. They say she is about 8-9 years old because of her teeth but I think she is much older like 10-11. She is probably going to be our foster till she passes, we are going to wait to see how things go, we already consider her a permanent addition to the house.
Oh and I think she has come to the conclusion that she belongs here, she fits in perfect in our house. She even has staked claim to a spot on the bed!! lol

Looks great!

I'm pretty sure the hardest worker out of the lot of you was Belle though. Look how dedicated she is to her task. ;)
Yeah pretty much! lol She was great while we were doing the grass so she got to pretty much stay out with us in the front for the week it took to do the grass. We could leave the gate open while we brought in sod and she just stayed in one place....... all day....... ;) She is also great with the baby, when he is out there she goes and keeps him company. She puts her head in his little hand and he likes petting her.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Oh wow, you are such a good person Lisa, I love her face. She is lucky you found her and are gonna let her live out her days with you, she sure seems to love Justin :D

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Great pics Lisa. Man I don't miss that at all. We did all our own sod in our front yard too, we will be doing the back yard in the next few weeks too. Man that's hard work leveling a yard huh. Belle is just awesome. She is so lucky you guys have taken her in. Man Justin is getting so so big, he's freakin adorable.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Wow great job!! Tilling is so hard especially that night when your hands are still vibrating lol. Looks awesome I know you are all so psyched! You will be pumped for the first mow I am sure and all the rest you will hate. Water water water. ( your water bill is gonna be crazy lol) I am sure you most likely know not to water at night (may cause the roots to rot) or in the day (it's burns off too quick) the bet time for new sod is early morning waterings. My neighbor didn't agree with me and watered late night and his sod didn't take. All that money wasted!! So happy for you love grass on my toes :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Great pics , belle looks like she helped alot lol , justin looks like such a happy baby :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow great job!! Tilling is so hard especially that night when your hands are still vibrating lol. Looks awesome I know you are all so psyched! You will be pumped for the first mow I am sure and all the rest you will hate. Water water water. ( your water bill is gonna be crazy lol) I am sure you most likely know not to water at night (may cause the roots to rot) or in the day (it's burns off too quick) the bet time for new sod is early morning waterings. My neighbor didn't agree with me and watered late night and his sod didn't take. All that money wasted!! So happy for you love grass on my toes :)
We kept hearing that but if you water when the sun is up here it evaporates because we have no humidity and it is super dry. What part of the country do you live in?

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
great job! and great pics!!
not an easy task, making ground :)

IMO..Water in the morning and let the sun dry it out and water at (2 hours) before sunset, dont let too much soak overnight. :)

Enjoy your new home!
cheers

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Looks great!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
We kept hearing that but if you water when the sun is up here it evaporates because we have no humidity and it is super dry. What part of the country do you live in?
I hear that, anyway you can get a timer for it to kick off at 4-5am or so? I am in the North East, in Massachusetts, so I know I have NO idea how hot it gets where you are, lol. ooo and no humidity!?? That's a dream! lol I would think all new grass is the same though in regards to watering. If you water when the sun is hot hot hot it heats the water up on the blades and burns the blades of grass before it has time to get absorbed. If you let it soak at night after the sun is down, it sits on the roots and doesn't have anywhere else to go. You need the good combo of water then sun, it looks like your yard is all sun? Get it watered early so it gets down to the roots and absorbed so its not on the blades of grass for the sun to burn when it gets hot. It will evaporate throughout the day from the sun, without the blades of grass getting damaged or the roots from sitting in water all night if you did it the night before.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I'm a little worried becuase the ground under the grass is so wet right now but the sod on top is drying out so it is one of those things we need to find a balance on. Thank for the tips ;)
hey no problem, I know you didn't ask, lol, I just figured I could add my 2 cents since you have helped me so much. I am a Master Gardener and LOOOVE plants and all that dirt stuff.

Heyy maybe you can just have all the pups take turns rolling around for a few hours to get it nice and packed down hahahaha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts