Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I got to do some lure sports, and was finally able to really use the collar and leash I got.

The only thing on his mind.. The lure.

Anyone wondering how big he is compared to me? I weight about 130, he weighs 74lbs.

He's either lunging for the lure, barking in place jumping up and down, or backing up so that he can put more impact into his lunge. (or barking in his crate at the lure)

This one made me laugh

Rawr

We did 3 runs, 2 sprints and 1 oval. He isn't the fastest, but he puts everything into it.
(Second run)
(3rd run, it got hotter then so that slowed him down and this is towards the end of the track.)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
looks like fun... great job Daktoa :D

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Awesome job!!!!! Dakota looks great!!! I wish D and I could have gone out there. I've been doing a ton of tattoo work lately so I haven't been out as much but I'm gunna pick up a crate and try to make it out to the next one :)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Oh wow that is so awesome, I alwyas wanted to try this with Orion, the white dog in my avatar. He would have been great at it. May I ask what kind of dog Dakota is? He sure is sharp looking :D

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

Krystal Dakota could use some non-sighthound backup! It was a huge busy practice with out of town folks, we were the only non-sighthound.

Thank you! :) Dakota is a German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Very cool, I thought he was a GSD mix, that is what Orion was a APBT/Lab mix and had insane drive for things like that. Great pics and vid thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I use to do lure coursing until I was running at an agility competition and a plastic bag blew through the field and off went my dog..... No more luring for us so keep that in mind if you do other sports. Looks like he had a blast!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Very cool! Looks like fun! :) Great job Dakota!

Reactions: Celestial88

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool, I thought he was a GSD mix, that is what Orion was a APBT/Lab mix and had insane drive for things like that. Great pics and vid thanks for sharing
Thanks! You're probably the second person to actually see the GSD.

We get Rottweiler, Doberman, Beauceron, and stuff like that a lot, people think German Shepherds can't come in that color. We've even gotten Saluki a few times o_O

And thank you! He definitely has a lot of drive, but luckily he has an off switch :p

I use to do lure coursing until I was running at an agility competition and a plastic bag blew through the field and off went my dog..... No more luring for us so keep that in mind if you do other sports. Looks like he had a blast!
LOL! I'm sorry but I laugh picturing that. :rofl: Someone I know does agility with their Staffie, a bird landed in the arena. Off went her dog, but she was able to call her back. Quite funny though
This is probably his favorite thing to do. I had a video showing how nuts he gets but it got deleted accidentally @[email protected]

Very cool! Looks like fun! :) Great job Dakota!
Thank you! It is a blast =]

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesomeness Dakota rocks keep up the excellent work!
Thank you! It was quite funny.. People were starring and whispering talking about us, there were probably around 40 dogs there, the wrest were all sighthounds. We were odd ducklings.

And Dakota has matured into such a different dog o_O
Last year he was very slender, easier to see the definition (thinner coat maybe)

He really thickened this year (I don't mean fat, he just turned 2), he has a wider chest now, last year it was very narrow.

Genetics are so odd to get used to sometimes. :p

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Is nice to have an off switch and I totally see the GSD, but was gonna ask about the Saluki as well :p Look forward to more pics and vids of Dakota doin his thing ;)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is nice to have an off switch and I totally see the GSD, but was gonna ask about the Saluki as well :p Look forward to more pics and vids of Dakota doin his thing ;)
Lol it's all good, it was understandable when was going through the lanky awkward stage.

^He was an excellent example of awkward lanky puppy stage for awhile.

But as you can see he got a lot thicker.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Thank you! It was quite funny.. People were starring and whispering talking about us, there were probably around 40 dogs there, the wrest were all sighthounds. We were odd ducklings.
When I use to go they would run young dogs with my dogs since they could care less about the other dogs and my dogs would not cut corners. Some of the more experienced dogs start to learn to cut corners and can get disqualified. I know what it is like to be the only off breed! lol

I know lots of ppl getting into luring now that UKC is doing it. One thing I have to caution (not to you but ppl in general) is you need to have an in shape dog and there is some risk of injury involved. You are asking a breed that may not be bred or built to run full speed and make turns. That can lead to blown ligaments and injuries for breeds not build to run like that. Many dogs will run hard with little though of hurting their bodies if they are in high prey drive, all they see is that bag and how to get it. That is another reason I stopped going.

Have you seen the course a lure? it is like a small agility course with the lure running through it. It is very padded and that is a lot of fun and I would still go to one of those. I know there is a group of ppl who travel and set that up at different events. Lots of fun!

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
You know Lisa you made a really good point and got me thinking. Now I'm not sure I'd want to do lure sports. I wouldn't want him at a pull and try to derail the cart of a stupid bag lol.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Wow! Look at Dakota go!! That seems like it would be so much fun!! I think Whitman would enjoy that, I might have to see if there are any clubs here in the Bay Area that do it.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I use to go they would run young dogs with my dogs since they could care less about the other dogs and my dogs would not cut corners. Some of the more experienced dogs start to learn to cut corners and can get disqualified. I know what it is like to be the only off breed! lol

I know lots of ppl getting into luring now that UKC is doing it. One thing I have to caution (not to you but ppl in general) is you need to have an in shape dog and there is some risk of injury involved. You are asking a breed that may not be bred or built to run full speed and make turns. That can lead to blown ligaments and injuries for breeds not build to run like that. Many dogs will run hard with little though of hurting their bodies if they are in high prey drive, all they see is that bag and how to get it. That is another reason I stopped going.

Have you seen the course a lure? it is like a small agility course with the lure running through it. It is very padded and that is a lot of fun and I would still go to one of those. I know there is a group of ppl who travel and set that up at different events. Lots of fun!
Yup, that's very true. We do a prep week or so of extra exercise before a practice. I also walk him out longer than the other people do before we start.

I haven't gotten to do any lure coursing or course-a-lure, I'd love to though.

Wow! Look at Dakota go!! That seems like it would be so much fun!! I think Whitman would enjoy that, I might have to see if there are any clubs here in the Bay Area that do it.
I believe there's an all breed lure sports club down in the bay area :D The vice president is a member of my weight pulling club.

All Breed Lure Sports Association

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Great pic! I love seeing a dog in action :D

:goodpost:

They had one set up at the last UKC show we had here in my town and I went out and saw some of my friends Staffie Bulls run it. Looked like sure fun! I was interested in letting some of my dog try it, but we have yet to have another one out here and from what I have seen online I see a lot of injuries in the bully breeds from them doing this. So now I have decided not to let mine play :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts