Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the neighbors are thinking about getting rid of their great dane because "he's stupid as a rock". The dog isn't stupid, he just hasn't been given a fair shot at training. Long story short, I offered to work him while I'm outside working my dogs. My only delima is this.... Training the heeling. This dang dogs back is as tall as my third rib and is probably as long as I am tall (5'2). I need some advise on physically how to show this dog that he needs to end up at my left leg because my arms are only 2 ft long to lure him with treats.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Oh wow thats gotta be a tough one. Have you tried using a clicker? He might get it that way cause he's going off the sound and then receiving the treat, rather that looking for your hand.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I could use a clicker, but i prefer doing treats at first. I use the treats to lure the dog around my back and bring them forward. it's not necessarily the walking on loose leash which a lot of people think it is, the command Heel is a certain body position next to the handler. the shoulder blades right at/a hair further up than the front of the handlers left thigh.

Like here's an example:

I can be across my yard and say "Melony, Heel" (no matter where she is) and she will come to me from the front and go behind me from my left side, make a circle so that she ends up facing the same direction I am, her right shoulder is right infront/side of my left leg.

Does that make sense, I tried to explain it the best way possible?

I've gotta figure a way to show him what i expect yanno what i mean?

EDIT: I wish they made bendable extensions for your arm lol

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea makes total sense. LMAO @ the arm extension :D that's really tough maybe one of those grabby pole things for old people? Would that work.
Like this lol

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I'm racking my brain. My best suggestion is to contact a dane rescue and ask them for pointers on what they do. I'll do some research and see if I can get any info.
Yep, good suggestion. Also you could try the breed club if there is one in your area. You can't be the only shorty working with these dogs :).

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Yea makes total sense. LMAO @ the arm extension :D that's really tough maybe one of those grabby pole things for old people? Would that work.
Like this lol

Ha ha ha! You read my mind, I was totally thinking that and I scrolled down and you'd posted exactly what I was thinking!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Okay, the neighbors are thinking about getting rid of their great dane because "he's stupid as a rock". The dog isn't stupid, he just hasn't been given a fair shot at training. Long story short, I offered to work him while I'm outside working my dogs. My only delima is this.... Training the heeling. This dang dogs back is as tall as my third rib and is probably as long as I am tall (5'2). I need some advise on physically how to show this dog that he needs to end up at my left leg because my arms are only 2 ft long to lure him with treats.
Haha I totally know what you're going through, my uncle had a great dane and training her was a lot harder then training the American Eskimo. (I'm 5'4" ish and the dog was about 36 inches at shoulder) For heel I usually have the dog walk a little further behind me then I would for a regular size dog. So instead of having the front quarters lined with my leg I would have her a few inches behind so I can actually put the lure in front of her :roll:
But I found clicker training to be a lot easier then the whole baiting thing
Well Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts