Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have come across so many websites that are explaining how we are slowly killing our animals by unnecessarily vaccinating every year and how the vets are very dishonest with us. Bella had first shots at her breeders and a second set with me along with rabies. As far as I'm concerned she is done. I also have never bought into the lyme shot, leptosporosis, or bordetella vaccines. And I have never used any of those nasty pesticides for fleas and ticks on my animals. I am more of a holistic animal owner so to speak. How does everyone else feel about vaccines?

Website
Your Purebred Puppy, An Honest Guide to Purebred Dogs and Dog Breeds

·
Registered
859 Posts
i just get their puppy shot series and rabies every 3 years cuz that's how long they last where I go. When I was a kid we would vaccinate our dogs every year but never did any harm either byt maybe they got lucky who knows?? My lab lived to be 19 years old reaching 20.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
According to BTK's Bully Doc:

So, this is just a little blurb on vaccinating puppies, since there is a lot of information and misinformation out there.

Typically, if the bitch has been vaccinated prior to breeding, the puppies will have immunity both from placental transfer and from nursing. Since no one can know when this immunity dissipates without doing antibody titers, we vaccinate based on a few assumptions.

To go against everything we learned in school, the new information has proved that Parvo virus, among others, can be prevented with ONE vaccination. Yes, ONE. BUT...only if given after maternal immunity is gone. We typically don't do antibody titers, so we don't know when this time actually is, but we know a majority of the time it is between 15 and 18 weeks. Therefore, the most important vaccine is the LAST one, given at 15 to 18 weeks.

Now, the only vaccines that require a booster to be effective are Lepto and Corona. But we give a series of boosters so that we are more likely to hit that window when a vaccine can actually cause immunity.

Our clinic does the following:

6-8 weeks DHPPC (with corona)
3 weeks later. DHPPC
3 weeks later DHLPP (with Lepto)
15-18 weeks (3 weeks later) DHLPP and Rabies

If u have a bitch that you know has not been vaccinated ever, you can start the puppies at 3 weeks.

To dispel some myths...

You cannot "overload" the immune system with too many vaccines at once.
Yes, even tiny pups get the same dose as a 100 pound dog.
Don't focus on brand of vaccine, but on the distributor...whether it has been kept cold at all times.
The most common vaccines that cause reactions are the KILLED ones-Lepto, Corona, Rabies.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that is old for a lab. I have some better sites that I can post later for info regarding the shots. I can't copy and paste from my phone and when I type in the website they are not coming up right.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I have come across so many websites that are explaining how we are slowly killing our animals by unnecessarily vaccinating every year and how the vets are very dishonest with us. Bella had first shots at her breeders and a second set with me along with rabies. As far as I'm concerned she is done. I also have never bought into the lyme shot, leptosporosis, or bordetella vaccines. And I have never used any of those nasty pesticides for fleas and ticks on my animals. I am more of a holistic animal owner so to speak. How does everyone else feel about vaccines?

Website
Your Purebred Puppy, An Honest Guide to Purebred Dogs and Dog Breeds
So you don't use flea/tick preventative? Have you ever seen what Lyme Disease does to a dog? So very sad.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My dogs get all their vaccinations, including Lyme. While lyme disease is extremely rare here, I do plan on taking my dogs camping and on outings with me when they get older.
I`d rather be safe than sorry.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use all natural flea and tick prevention. I live in the city and stay out of the woods we do have locally. I will use herbal citrus sprays when need be. Frontline, advantix, etc. Would never touch my dogs skin.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Quite frankly, I would rather be safe than sorry. I gave Kane all the vaccinations my vet suggested as well as the ones she suggests in the future. She's always been very upfront and honest with me about everything, including the recent studies on the appropriate time to spay/neuter.

I would always always vaccinate against lyme disease. You don't have to be in the woods to get a tick that carries it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What about heartworm preventative? I have seen heartworm firsthand and i do what needs to be done to prevent it, as it is a nasty problem which results in death alot of the time. To each their own on the flea issue, if the natural stuff works where you live then more power to you. Wouldnt work out here thats for sure lol. I use Revolution since it includes heartworm with it. I will have to disagree that its bad for dogs since it helps keep them alive and mine have suffered no ill effects from it. I have only had one flea medicine cause a reaction and i complained and will never touch it again.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Ok here you go ....

Read this article in it's entirety to learn about the true length most vaccines are good for and stop over vaccinating your dogs and cats!

ARTICLE HOME

February 27, 2005

TO: The Agriculture, Conservation and Forest Committee

RE: LD 429, An Act to Require Veterinarians to Provide Vaccine Disclosure Forms

My name is Kris Christine and I live with my family in Maine. Before I begin my testimony, I?d like to advise the committee that one of the world?s leading veterinary research scientists, Dr. W. Jean Dodds, wanted to be here today to testify in support of LD429, but could not do so because of prior commitments. With her permission, in the attachments to my testimony, I have included her letter to Representative Peter Rines dated February 17, 2005 (Attachment 5) resolutely endorsing this first-in-the-nation veterinary vaccine disclosure legislation.

I am here today to respectfully urge this committee to recommend passage of LD429 ? An Act to Require Veterinarians to Provide Vaccine Disclosure Forms because pet owners need the scientifically proven durations of immunity (how long vaccines are effective for) in order to make informed medical choices for their animals.

Many Maine veterinarians have failed to inform clients that most core veterinary vaccines protect for seven or more years, and pet owners, unaware that their animals don?t need booster vaccinations more often, have unwittingly given their companions useless booster shots ? taking an unnecessary toll on their finances and animals? health. The human equivalent would be physicians vaccinating patients against tetanus once every year, two years, or three years and not disclosing that the vaccines are known to be protective for 10 years. . .

more @ the link above. .

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To each his own :) I'm not saying that I am right and you are wrong. I go to a holistic vet and I've done my own research and read many articles on the negative side affects for all things dog. I take a more holistic approach on my dogs health. It hasn't let me down doing so. Think about it this way......we put something on our dogs skin to kill and prevent little critters from getting on them. These pesticides to kill bugs seep into your dogs skin. What is that stuff doing to your dog? Maybe I think to much but that is how I look at it. I also don't use any pesticides to treat my house for ants that I get in the summer. I use orange guard which is made with citrus oils. I haven't had an ant problem in a long time now :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I do respect everyones opinions :) so no hard feelings. I just prefer to get the vaccinations that my vet (who has never let us down and has treated over 10 of our pets) recommends. Alexa gets her 3rd booster shot in 3 weeks and thats her last one for awhile. Also the flea and tick and heartworm medicine Revolution will be used. I do believe that your location also factors in, I live in the country across from a field full of everything from mice to huge deer ticks. We had a flea problem for a long time, tried everything and Revolution is what worked.

I wish everyones pets good health :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I vaccinate properly in the first two years then I do every 3-5 years for parvo combo shots. Rabies every 3 years as required but I do bordetella every year because I board dogs at our kennel and my dogs are at risk. I have had over 19 dogs coughing all at once and never again! lol
Over vaccinating is dangerous you can also have a dogs tider checked to see what vaccines they need.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Thanks Tara great info on titer testing! I should test titers but I just vaccinate when I need to my dogs are at a slightly increased risk because I go to a dog club almost everyday, train around all kinds of dogs, go to a ton of shows, and take dogs to board here at my kennel. Titer testing is the way to go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts