Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of adding a new friend to the home after Izzo turns two years old , so that means around this time next year .. But I do not want to own two APBTs at the same time . I have done it before it it ended up in a crate & rotate situation and I really dont think that this is the right life for any dog .With that being said I have taken different steps with Izzo , she has been properly {some people say overly} socialized which was not the case with the two I had before. { I was fostering them for a local shelter until the could be adopted in seperate homes} . I have been looking into the Australian Sheperd . Izzo is a very active dog and I want a dog that is going to keep up with her , still have some-what the same personality as her . I know a few people that actually do have the breeds together but I wanted to know about anyone else who had other breeds that keep up with the apbts and still fit into the family just like them ..

Thank you
Samantha :woof:

· English Dogge Yard
3,447 Posts
I am thinking of adding a new friend to the home after Izzo turns two years old , so that means around this time next year .. But I do not want to own two APBTs at the same time . I have done it before it it ended up in a crate & rotate situation and I really dont think that this is the right life for any dog .With that being said I have taken different steps with Izzo , she has been properly {some people say overly} socialized which was not the case with the two I had before. { I was fostering them for a local shelter until the could be adopted in seperate homes} . I have been looking into the Australian Sheperd . Izzo is a very active dog and I want a dog that is going to keep up with her , still have some-what the same personality as her . I know a few people that actually do have the breeds together but I wanted to know about anyone else who had other breeds that keep up with the apbts and still fit into the family just like them ..

Thank you
If you do own an APBT currently DA can happen at any time, the safest bet is investing and learning how to use Break Sticks and limit the time they have together to as little as possible as that will limit Izzos stress levels. The safest thing you can do is crate and rotate if you have an APBT with any other type of dog, doesn't matter if its two of the same breed or not.

Reactions: Sadie

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do own an APBT currently DA can happen at any time, the safest bet is investing and learning how to use Break Sticks and limit the time they have together to as little as possible as that will limit Izzos stress levels. The safest thing you can do is crate and rotate if you have an APBT with any other type of dog, doesn't matter if its two of the same breed or not.
I currently do own break sticks , and have learned from working in a shelter how to use them as a precaution . really I have done the research and I know it can happen . But Izzo is a very calm submissive apbt , so I really dont think she will be DA I will crate them when noone will be able to supervise them , feed in seperate areas , and have to seperate sides to my back yard. My question here really was to see if anyone owns the breed with another breed , which breed it is , and how the interact with each other ..

· English Dogge Yard
3,447 Posts
I currently do own break sticks , and have learned from working in a shelter how to use them as a precaution . really I have done the research and I know it can happen . But Izzo is a very calm submissive apbt , so I really dont think she will be DA I will crate them when noone will be able to supervise them , feed in seperate areas , and have to seperate sides to my back yard. My question here really was to see if anyone owns the breed with another breed , which breed it is , and how the interact with each other ..
I have an American Bandogge, both of mine are DA but thus far have tolerated each other. They are in their crates at any moment we are not in the same room and we do a lot of exercising through out the day at different times to ensure they get the "1 on 1" with us so at least for that moment we can ensure they are not fighting over attention. They dont get any toys unless in the crates or separate because they will fight over them, feeding is done separate due to they would fight over a kibble if given the chance.

Owning an APBT (especially a well bred one) with any breed can be a lot of work and you will need to treat every situation as if you owned two bulldogs. Its always safer to be over - prepared than not enough for when its more than likely or not, bound to happen.

Even the most experienced dog owners, past and present, have had accidents where their dogs fight. If prepared and quickly separated to minimize the injury is all you can do when it comes down to situations like that. However, you may get lucky and not have to experience such.

Im glad you have break sticks already. :clap:

Just don't make the mistake of trusting your apbt with another dog, theres too many stories and knowledge here to learn from with owning multiple dogs that there isn't an excuse.

Reactions: kodiakgirl

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an American Bandogge, both of mine are DA but thus far have tolerated each other. They are in their crates at any moment we are not in the same room and we do a lot of exercising through out the day at different times to ensure they get the "1 on 1" with us so at least for that moment we can ensure they are not fighting over attention. They dont get any toys unless in the crates or separate because they will fight over them, feeding is done separate due to they would fight over a kibble if given the chance.

Owning an APBT (especially a well bred one) with any breed can be a lot of work and you will need to treat every situation as if you owned two bulldogs. Its always safer to be over - prepared than not enough for when its more than likely or not, bound to happen.

Even the most experienced dog owners, past and present, have had accidents where their dogs fight. If prepared and quickly separated to minimize the injury is all you can do when it comes down to situations like that. However, you may get lucky and not have to experience such.

Im glad you have break sticks already. :clap:

Just don't make the mistake of trusting your apbt with another dog, theres too many stories and knowledge here to learn from with owning multiple dogs that there isn't an excuse.
thank you very muchh =] :D:D

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Since you know what this breed is capable of and you are going to make the effort to keep them safe then you have a good chance for success. One thing that you have to ask yourself if they end up not getting along what are you going to do? rehome one of the dogs or crate and rotate. They may get along for a while but at some point you may have to separate them. Years ago my border collie was killed by my APBT's and he did not stand a chance. It was an accident where one of my dogs popped her crate and it was over for him. I also have had dogs get along for years then one day.... not so much. This just happened least week and these dogs live together for 8 years.
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/35933-yard-accient-warning-multiple-dogs.html

I do have a Boston terrier and he gets along great with my older house dogs. I never leave them alone for one second and I always watch for things that will start a fight. One thing I really have to watch is if he gets hurt and squeaks it bring out the prey drive and I have to watch that. With management it can be possible but you will always have to be on alert if you get complacent is when you could lose a dog.

I took this today of General and Vixen, Vixen is very good about letting him win but we watch them like a hawk!

· Registered
536 Posts
:goodpost:

Looks like you are prepared for anything to happen, since you alredy have breaksticks, which is great. If you're set on getting a buddy for your dog, then you're going to do it no matter what anyone else says, but be prepared that anything can happen at any time. I give you kudos for looking for advice, but it seems to me like you are as prepared as you possibly could be, and I don't think there's much more advice anyone can give you other than to be prepared. You're doing a heck of a lot better than most people, at least you aren't posting this after the fact. :)

· Premium Member
5,143 Posts
I have a shepherd mix (smaller sized) and she gets along great with Loki She is about 3 years old and Loki (APBT) is a little under 4. Her and Brutus (our old pit-mix, RIP) didn't care much for each other but there was never an all out scuffle, just a few tiffs here and there over high prized items like tug ropes.

We never leave the dogs alone together and they are both crated when we go to work or have to leave the house for any length of time. It works out well for us since Loki is very toy driven and she just wants to follow him around and do what he does. She won't fetch unless Loki is fetching. It's a fun game for her. He doesn't even notice she is there when he is fetching, he is all about the chew toys - she might as well be a fruit fly, hehe.

· Registered
50 Posts
I've always owned other breeds with pits and never had an issue. The American bulldog mix is and was the only thing to set them off ever. All my dogs were raised around our Australian shepherd. Never had an issue ever, other than the AB

· Banned
28 Posts

Thank you
i have a APBT, and 2 other dogs who she absolutely loves.
one of them i s a jack russle terrier and the other is a blue heeler.
now they all get along very well (thank god) but my blue heeler is very snappy and always nips at my pitbull. thank god my pitbull is verrryyy submissive. now the jack russle on the other hand gets along with every dog he meets and is a little ball of energy so he can keep up with my APBT. with that being said i don't know how your dog is with DA so maybe a small dog isn't best. unless of course you are comfertable with your pitty being able to put up with a hyper dog. so with me a jack russle is good.
he tires my pitbull out. its is VERY important no matter what other dog you get, you HAVE to always be on top of them in case somthing happens. even if both are amazing dogs, things happen.
good luck i hope everything works out
&
i hope you find this useful in some way :)

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi! I would recommend another dog of the OPPOSITE sex...Pitbulls are typically very playful and like to play rough so I would just keep an eye on them. We have always had pitbulls(or bullies) and a mix breed dog from the shelter that was also active. I know a lot of herding breeds can be nippy and bite at other dog's heels...and your pitbull might not approve of that...haha...maybe a shepherd mix?

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since you know what this breed is capable of and you are going to make the effort to keep them safe then you have a good chance for success. One thing that you have to ask yourself if they end up not getting along what are you going to do? rehome one of the dogs or crate and rotate. They may get along for a while but at some point you may have to separate them. Years ago my border collie was killed by my APBT's and he did not stand a chance. It was an accident where one of my dogs popped her crate and it was over for him. I also have had dogs get along for years then one day.... not so much. This just happened least week and these dogs live together for 8 years.
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/35933-yard-accient-warning-multiple-dogs.html

I do have a Boston terrier and he gets along great with my older house dogs. I never leave them alone for one second and I always watch for things that will start a fight. One thing I really have to watch is if he gets hurt and squeaks it bring out the prey drive and I have to watch that. With management it can be possible but you will always have to be on alert if you get complacent is when you could lose a dog.

I took this today of General and Vixen, Vixen is very good about letting him win but we watch them like a hawk!
YouTube - General McNasty vs Vixen
Thank you =]

I have been thinking alot about what I would do if they did not get along , and have come to the conclusion that the crate and rotate would be my only option . I do not put dogs in shelters , I keep them until the day they pass .. I mean I am not completely against the crate and rotate , maybe it was just the traumatic experience I had with Chaos , and Titan .. {those were the two shelter dogs names} They were strays when found and I had already been fostering Chaos , When I introduced him to Titan OUTSIDE of them home everything was dandy, Now when Chaos realized he was going to be staying was when the problem started. I made the novice mistake of preparing there food with both of them in the kitchen =[ it took cold water and break sticks to get Chaos of him , Im pretty sure Titan was a bully not a apbt . But even with the crate and rotate in effect the second Chaos was out of his bed room he would run for the basement door . And Titan would be cowering in fear every time he could her Chaos bark, whine, anything . So this has made me very wherry of the crate and rotate procedure ..:( But I really think that Izzo would open up to another dog in the home . I am more then willing to be on my gaurd when they are together.. I really think that having another dog around would be more pleasure then pain with Izzo .. If that makes sense

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:goodpost:

Looks like you are prepared for anything to happen, since you alredy have breaksticks, which is great. If you're set on getting a buddy for your dog, then you're going to do it no matter what anyone else says, but be prepared that anything can happen at any time. I give you kudos for looking for advice, but it seems to me like you are as prepared as you possibly could be, and I don't think there's much more advice anyone can give you other than to be prepared. You're doing a heck of a lot better than most people, at least you aren't posting this after the fact. :)
thank you very much =]

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a APBT, and 2 other dogs who she absolutely loves.
one of them i s a jack russle terrier and the other is a blue heeler.
now they all get along very well (thank god) but my blue heeler is very snappy and always nips at my pitbull. thank god my pitbull is verrryyy submissive. now the jack russle on the other hand gets along with every dog he meets and is a little ball of energy so he can keep up with my APBT. with that being said i don't know how your dog is with DA so maybe a small dog isn't best. unless of course you are comfertable with your pitty being able to put up with a hyper dog. so with me a jack russle is good.
he tires my pitbull out. its is VERY important no matter what other dog you get, you HAVE to always be on top of them in case somthing happens. even if both are amazing dogs, things happen.
good luck i hope everything works out
&
i hope you find this useful in some way :)
Thank you , I did find this very helpful , Izzo is a verrry submissive dog as well and I dont worry about her with other dogs , she seems to get along fine with my moms miniature schnauzer . Its more me that doesnt want the small dog lol =]

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a shepherd mix (smaller sized) and she gets along great with Loki She is about 3 years old and Loki (APBT) is a little under 4. Her and Brutus (our old pit-mix, RIP) didn't care much for each other but there was never an all out scuffle, just a few tiffs here and there over high prized items like tug ropes.

We never leave the dogs alone together and they are both crated when we go to work or have to leave the house for any length of time. It works out well for us since Loki is very toy driven and she just wants to follow him around and do what he does. She won't fetch unless Loki is fetching. It's a fun game for her. He doesn't even notice she is there when he is fetching, he is all about the chew toys - she might as well be a fruit fly, hehe.
thank you .. this is what I plan on doing when we get a second.

· Registered
901 Posts
I own a Bull Mastiff and a APBT now, I had two serious incidents. One where we were all in the backyard and it took both my husband and myself to break up the fight. The other was my husbands fault, yep I blame him, I was at work. The aggressor was my Mastiff in both incidents. We live the crate n rotate lifestyle. Prior to this I owned a Aussie, Rottie and the Mastiff. My Aussie kept things under control. They knew she wouldn't tolerate anything, my Mastiff tried to become leader of the pack and she let him know just where he stood (all she had to do was bare her teeth) and he backed down. Be cautious with a Aussie they are herding dogs. They will try to herd, your Pit may accept it sometimes but there is always a chance she will change her mind.

· Banned
28 Posts
Thank you , I did find this very helpful , Izzo is a verrry submissive dog as well and I dont worry about her with other dogs , she seems to get along fine with my moms miniature schnauzer . Its more me that doesnt want the small dog lol =]
ahah yea i prefer big dogs.
but god had other plans and we rescued these little guys.
but we love them :)

what breed are you looking to get?

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well as of right now we are looking into maybe a australian shepard , not 100% positive yet .. we want a high energy dog that fits into the lifestyle we already live with Izzo . Do you have any breeds maybe you could suggest ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.