Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pennsylvania state law prohibits breed specific legislation. It would be wise to politely remind the city officials of Bristol to take a look at Reading, PA and the court ruling that overturned their breed specific ordinance.

Next council meeting: December 13, 7 PM, at Borough Hall.

Bristol Borough Municipal Building
250 Pond Street
Bristol, PA 19007
215-788-3828
Fax No: 215-788-5366

Borough Council contact info:

Lorraine Cullen

[email protected]

James Lutz, 215-788-2647

Anthony Muccie

[email protected]

Patrick Sabatini

215-781-9003

Ralph DiGuiseppe

[email protected]

Leo Plenski, Jr.

[email protected]

Robyn Trunell

[email protected]

Betty Rodriguez

[email protected]

Pit bull ordinance top priority
TEXT SIZE
By: GEORGE MATTAR
Bucks County Courier Times
BRISTOL BOROUGH

Although it may not become the law until early next year, Bristol Borough Council President Ralph DiGuiseppe reiterated Monday that he wants a muzzle ordinance for all pit bulls and pit bull mix breeds.

"My job is to protect the citizens of this town and especially children, who want to walk without fear of being attacked," he told resident Kathy Banta, who spoke about her dismay with the proposed ordinance.

Banta, who lives on Washington Street, said she has a male pit bull mix named "Max," who weighs about 70 pounds

She told council at Monday's work session that her dog was attacked twice by small dogs, which darted out of their owner's home on two different occasions.

"My dog is always on a leash with a harness and has a microchip in him that I paid $45 for. He has never attacked any other dog or person. I got him because someone walked in my house and tried to steal my purse," she told council.

She said her dog was attacked by a Jack Russell terrier, which darted at Max and started biting his head. Max eventually was able to break away, but did not attack, she said.

The second time, another small dog came after Banta's dog and that time, Max head butted the dog away, but again, did not retaliate, Banta said.

She called the proposed ordinance unfair and against state law.

"I don't care what the state says; my job is to protect the people and other animals. I will push for this law," DiGuiseppe said.

DiGuiseppe had told borough solicitor William Salerno last month to begin drafting up an ordinance, which would require all pit bulls to have a muzzle on when off private property. DiGuiseppe wants the ordinance to be voted on in February.

The proposed ordinance is sparked by an incident last month in which a Pomeranian was killed by a pit bull/Sharpei mix, which was on a leash. Its owner was charged with several offenses and faces a hearing next month.

George Mattar can be reached at 215 949 4165 or [email protected]. Follow George on Twitter at [email protected]

December 7, 2010 2:01 AM

PhillyBurbs.com: Pit bull ordinance top priority

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pennsylvania state law PROHIBITS breed specific legislation.

The issue is expected to come up at next month's council meeting. Please continue to send your POLITE, RESPECTFUL and INFORMATIVE opposition to breed specific legislation to the Bristol city officials listed below. You may also want to remind them that Reading, PA's ordinance was overturned based on its discriminatory language. A memorandum opinion was issued by the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania on February 26, 2008 finding that Reading's ordinance violated state law.

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys
Bless the Bullys: Pit Bull Rescue & Education

Link to previous articles:
PhillyBurbs.com:

PhillyBurbs.com: Dog owners say muzzles not the answer

Bristol, Pennsylvania

Bristol Borough Municipal Building
250 Pond Street
Bristol, PA 19007
215-788-3828
Fax No: 215-788-5366

Borough Council contact info:
Lorraine Cullen
[email protected]

James Lutz, 215-788-2647

Anthony Muccie
[email protected]

Patrick Sabatini
215-781-9003

Ralph DiGuiseppe
[email protected]

Leo Plenski, Jr.
[email protected]

Robyn Trunell
[email protected]

Betty Rodriguez
[email protected]

Bristol may pass dog muzzle law next month

By: George Mattar
phillyBurbs.com

Bristol Borough council authorized advertising two proposed ordinances Monday which would require all pit bulls to be muzzled on public property and that all dogs must be on a leash.

The proposals could become law at next month's meeting.

The muzzling of pit bulls, which have attacked two dogs in town and injured a woman since November, has been a hot topic and last night was not exception. A Pomeranian died in a November attack.

Councilman Jim Lutz voted against muzzling pit bulls, but voted in favor of the proposed leash ordinance.

Last week, Lutz said he was against putting muzzles on any dog, which got him a round of applause from the audience.

Yet, at the same meeting, he later suggested that all dogs that weigh 25 pounds or more wear a muzzle, because he didn't think the ordinance should be breed specific.

But when it came time to make a motion to do so Monday, he, nor any other council member, would.

Council President Ralph DiGuiseppe asked Lutz if he was going to make the motion that he suggested.

"I did not ask that it be put on the agenda. I'm not interested in making the motion," Lutz said.

DiGuiseppe told Lutz it was his suggestion that all dogs 25 pounds or more be muzzled and offered to play a video of him making that statement.

The tape was played Monday. After viewing the tape, which showed him making that statement, Lutz did not deny that he said muzzling all dogs 25 pounds or larger.

So, next month, council will vote on whether dogs should be on a leash at all times off private property and if pit bulls and pit bull breeds be muzzled. The proposed leash length will likely be 6 feet.

January 10, 2011 09:19 PM

PhillyBurbs.com: Bristol may pass dog muzzle law next month

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
good posting, I like how the one guy stated that it shouldnt be breed specific lol , if you are gonna have to put a muzzle on a dog it should be all dogs over that weight limit. good call but glad he didnt bring that to the board. And the leash law is needed everywhere no exceptions.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no problem Lauren and you are right Angel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts