Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys i'm back with another question lol. I wrote last week about Lacey's fit that she had with my dad where he reached over me to pet her she was completely submissive licked his hand then lunged and barked at him, i caught her in mid air, but now from what my dad told me she never showed teeth.

anyway, so I've been doing the NILIF training with her and i have noticed a difference in her response to me, when we go for walks she sits for me to put her harness on, now i dont even need to tell her to sit i ask if she wants to go outside she goes straight to the door and sits and waits.

she wont get on the bed until i tell her to and she sits first, same with food, treats and toys.

now my question is how do i know that this will stop her from doing that again? She's been back to my house around my dad and shes been fine (i've kept the leash on her while at my house now) BUT it hasnt been the same situation. I'm nervous for anyone to reach over me to touch her, im nervous itll happen again so i dont really know what to do.

this is a side note but she HATES water, we tried to give her a bath and i thought she was going to choke herself to death because we had her tied to a pole in the back with a 6 ft leash and a kiddie pool, i tried to just pour the water on her back with a cup and that didnt work either, we got that waterless bath stuff after that because i dont want to stress her out, anyone else have any advice on what to do with that or has this happened with anyone?

Also, what are some good leash exercises for them? we dont have a fenced in yard and shes not a dog park type dog, she goes on her walks every day but I know she still needs to get that energy out so it doesnt turn into aggression

sorry this post was kind of all over the place lol

thanks again guys!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I can't help with your first part, but do you have a yard? I bought the 50ft 1 inch lead from Trevor Nizmos K9 Supply and I use it when I go for hikes, or the park when there are no dogs there and no fences. My boy is great and does not run away, its more so I am in the leash law and if another animal comes and he forgets to come, I can reinforce it before there is issue. But it gives you enough room to toss a ball for fetch, or on walks he gets the space to sniff, run ahead and behind a bit and what not. Its not for every day use of course, and I need to be aware of surroundings if people sneak up on us since he has 50 ft ahead of me. But the lead is very sturdy and great for training him and what not without the worry he will get away from you. I also go in my basement and toss a ball against the wall to get him moving. he tried to beat me to it. he usually wins, but I have never lost a tie, he always lets me get it instead accidently biting of my hand :) I always carry my 4 ft leash when out of the yard, when I have this one, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
here, take a look at this article. I know when My boy feels trapped, he used to growl. Now I know to send him to his bed when people arrive (the entrance was closed on 3 sides) and once they come in, I introduce them to my dog and allow him to come say hi. Since doing that, I have had no issues. He could be scared more than dominate Take a look:

The Truth About Canine Aggression |

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea we both have yards so we could def do that,thanks!

we brought her to the high school near our house because they have a fenced in softball field and tennis court. There was a game going on in the field so we took her to the tennis court and she LOVED it, so did we because we saw her super happy, but then she laid down and because of the friction of the ground her pads of her paws were bleeding, i got the cracked and dry paw stuff to put on but she just licks it off, it doesnt stand a chance on her!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
yea we both have yards so we could def do that,thanks!

we brought her to the high school near our house because they have a fenced in softball field and tennis court. There was a game going on in the field so we took her to the tennis court and she LOVED it, so did we because we saw her super happy, but then she laid down and because of the friction of the ground her pads of her paws were bleeding, i got the cracked and dry paw stuff to put on but she just licks it off, it doesnt stand a chance on her!
yeah, I used to go until some kids broke a ton of glass all over. poor Mel, the day we went and I saw the glass, we had to turn around and not go in, he was sooo hurt, sad eyes and I felt so guilty for getting him excited and then ruining it! poor guy, lol. Hope it works out for you!!!

Poor pads, I used Bag Balm on them, and he sometimes licks it, but not usually. makes him have extra traction for tug, he realized, so he gets pumped when I put it on, lol. a tired pup is a happy pup :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i hope so too, she's such a good dog and i know shes not "mean" she'd lick you 24/7 if you'd let her, and shes so good with people when shes on the leash, waggin her tail and everything. she felt so guilty when she did that she moped around for the next 2 days because she knew i was upset with her.

itll be so much easier with exercise when me and my fiance get our own place and we're not carting her around 2 houses. we've had (surprisingly) almost everyone say they'll take her that would be potential landlords.

she's our family now and i think the fact that we said we'll pay the difference in their home owners insurance premium has been a big factor, but we'd do anything to keep her.

we have her and our rabbit, they are our daughters (and hopefully continue to be the only ones) they deserve the best. Lacey has been abandoned once, and I made a promise to not let that happen again, she has a forever home with us!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
great news! and good for you! I hope it works out for you! releasing energy is the key. If my boy doesn't get a good 3 miles at LEAST in a day, he acts up, so whatever you can do is great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts