Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I took my 3 yr old pit yesterday to the vet because he was limping. The vet told me he has a partially torn CCL.
I told the vet I can't afford the surgery now and if there are alternatives.
He told me to rest him for 4-6 weeks (like very very very minumum walks and keep him in one room)
Reading online there are mixed reviews of people saying resting will help while others say it will never help and it will get worse; liguments do not heel.
Anyone has expirence on this matter or opinion? I hate to see him in pain and not being able to do anything about it :cry::cry:
I simply can't afford it as a college student, but i hate to see him in pain. They also say there is a 50% chance he would tear the other knee since he uses it more now.
Is there a way I can attach his xrays here? I cant seem to find the attach button
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Crate rest is your best option. Walks only enough to potty. That will keep the tear from getting worse and prevent the other knee from damage. I’m assuming the vet gave you some anti-inflammatories to keep the inflammation down? If not get some and stock up on safe chews and sedentary games you can play to keep your pup from getting too bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
It won’t heal it but it will keep it from getting worse and from causing complications until you can pay for surgery. Try applying for care credit. They offer no interest financing for a certain amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
my boy and i travelled the road to ccl recovery without surgery. the road is long and tough. setbacks should be expected but it is possible. success really depends on the original health of your dog and the extent of his injuries. and i understand your situation, but there's unavoidable costs involved.
i'm on my way to a family dinner. but i will follow up later tonight with a detailed explanation of our recovery program. in the meantime, do a search for "dog ccl conservative management" and read up. this is what happend to us...
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/131209-his-ccl-tear-my-mental-breakdown.html

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
hopefully you had a chance to read through some material.
basically comes down to this..
1. REST. lots of rest to begin with. he's gonna hate it. you're gonna hate it. but you can make it better with lots of attention and toys. i would say a minimum of 2 weeks from date of injury.
2. if you see progress, then rehab without surgery might be possible. look for signs like toeing the ground. taking a few steps with injured leg. standing on all fours. etc.
3. if you decide to go non-surgical route, i cannot stress this enough... GO SLOW. strap in for the long haul. patience will be your best practice. when you allow him to get ahead of schedule, that's when you risk set backs (i found this out the hard way by letting my boy get up and down from the sofa).
4. make calendar schedule. increasing walk distance/time every 10 days. i did 5 min SLOW walk to start. no pulling. no jogging. just easy stroll.
5. make rehab exercises part of your daily routine. dogs love routine. morning massage. ice pack after every walk. there's some indoor exercises you can find on youtube.
6. every time you see progress, it's okay to feel positive and excited. but check yourself and make a conscious effort to keep going SLOW.

we took about 9 months to get back to 90%. that was with laser, cryo, and hydro therapy. all of which cost me more than the actual surgery. a couple of acupuncture sessions too. i think it's possible to get it done without that stuff. but expect longer rehab time. the last 10% will take time. but he's young and you have that on your side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts