Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have two puppies, Annie and Logan, who survived Parvo. They will be a year old in September but Annie only weighs maybe 20 pounds and Logan weighs 40. They are full blooded but I guess the parvo stunted their growth, Annie's more than Logan. Anyway, I am getting Logan neutered next week. I am worried sick though. I know parvo is hard on their immune system and still if they get a scrape or cut it takes a while for it to heal. My question is:confused:, Is it safe to neuter him and put him through all of that? After all we went through with the parvo its scary to think something could go wrong. Maybe I am crazy and just making a big deal out of nothing but I can't help it. :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
Glad they both survived. There are people here who know much more than me...( and I can't address the parvo/neuter risk aspect at all) but..you may want to consider leaving him intact at least until fully mature. There are health benefits...y don't u search the forum and read through the neutering posts.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
If he is already over a year old and is a rescue then I would fix him now. I just read that you have 5 pit bulls and you are getting into rescue so with that comes spaying and neutering. Is your female fixed already that had the parvo? How did she do through surgery? I am not sure on the whole surgery history/risks with parvo in a dogs past but what does your vet say? The S/N debate is on going and you are going to get different answers when you ask so do what you think is best for your dogs. If they are just pets and not showing or work dogs spaying and neutering is the way to go to prevent accidents.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't spayed my female yet... my main concern is my males right now. I am terrified to even think about spaying my little girl though. She is so tiny and just isn't "right". She has been very hard to train and just seems alittle slow haha. We love her so much just the way she is though and are thankful we even have her. I kinda feel like surgery for her would be out of the question. She stays inside so there is no way of another male dog getting to her so I am taking the safest route for now and getting the male dogs neutered. They aren't a year old yet Bella, they will be september 20th. I am actually not using my regular vet for the surgery. A clinic in a near by city got a spay and neuter grant and are doing a 'name your price' for families with multiple dogs who need help. Which I think is fantastic because any help we can get is great. I have a two year old male that will be getting neutered also. He will be fine except for his (and my) seperation anxiety. I am so stressed about this haha.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I have some personal expierence with this. My Penny (RIP) had parvo at 3 months old, she came thru it just fine and I had her spayed at 5 mo. SHe also had Demotectic mange that she got over as well. At her passing she weighed in at 58lbs and was a good dog, she passed due to a stomach issue cause by her seizures, she was an epileptic. There should be no risks as long as the dog is mature. But again this is just my opinion and personal expiernece. Glad the dogs made it though, I do know how hard it is to deal with. Hugs

p.s. that is her in my avatar pic, the seal dog :D

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I haven't spayed my female yet... my main concern is my males right now. I am terrified to even think about spaying my little girl though. She is so tiny and just isn't "right". She has been very hard to train and just seems alittle slow haha. We love her so much just the way she is though and are thankful we even have her. I kinda feel like surgery for her would be out of the question. She stays inside so there is no way of another male dog getting to her so I am taking the safest route for now and getting the male dogs neutered. They aren't a year old yet Bella, they will be september 20th. I am actually not using my regular vet for the surgery. A clinic in a near by city got a spay and neuter grant and are doing a 'name your price' for families with multiple dogs who need help. Which I think is fantastic because any help we can get is great. I have a two year old male that will be getting neutered also. He will be fine except for his (and my) seperation anxiety. I am so stressed about this haha.
I hear you.....I will be a wreck when the time comes to get my girl fixed as well. A neuter procedure is a quick snip and a tuck but a female spay is far more invasive. Think of it this way......hundreds of animals get fixed everyday with no problems so try and stay positive. I am sure they will be fine. For your llittle female I would do a blood panel before doing any surgery on her if you are that concerned. That way they can check her liver and organ function before any surgery is performed. That is what I will have done on my girl as well :) Here is a website that explains a blood panel.
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLOOD-TEST-EXPLAINED.HTM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Parvo is the worst thing I have ever dealt with in my life. Annie was skin and bones, we had a hole dug for her ready to bury the poor baby and the next morning she sat up in the kennel like everything was fine. I have never cried more in my life. She is a strong girl. Logan never got as sick as she did thankfully. I hope we never have to go through that again. Sorry to hear about penny =( losing a baby is never easy. I will talk to the new vet about all of this when we go in. Thanks for all your help! I will let you guys know how it goes.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Thank you Savannah and no it is never easy to deal with the loss. Please let us know how things go. I wish you tons of luck. I have been in your shoes and know how it feels.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thanks guys. Parvo is the worst thing I have ever dealt with in my life. Annie was skin and bones, we had a hole dug for her ready to bury the poor baby and the next morning she sat up in the kennel like everything was fine. I have never cried more in my life. She is a strong girl. Logan never got as sick as she did thankfully. I hope we never have to go through that again. Sorry to hear about penny =( losing a baby is never easy. I will talk to the new vet about all of this when we go in. Thanks for all your help! I will let you guys know how it goes.
Your welcome :) Hope you become a regular here.....lots of great people and info ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts