Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been around as much as usual. Been busy with work, trying to find a new job and a team mate of mine and I were training for fights that both fell through (sad face). But I'm back now haha :)

Well this morning I worked Whitman on the spring pole and flirt pole. After he cooled down and was ready to eat, I was taking a look at his nails since they need a trimming and I noticed on one of his pads, there was a piece hanging off. I know the bottoms of paws are sensitive so I kind of poked at it to see how he reacted. He showed no pain so I twisted it off. Then I noticed on another one, there was a bigger crack that peeled off in a bigger piece.

Now I was very gentle while doing this to not cause discomfort to him, but Whit seemed fine about it. Now my question is, do paw pads callous? I used to do a lot of heavy labor at my old job and my callouses would peel, but I'm not sure if it happens with dogs and if it does, if its normal. How should I deal with them? Would it be ok to gently peel off little bits or maybe cut them off with human nail cutters?

If it matters, they peeled near the toes, about a centimeter under the nails.

Thanks for any help :)

·
Banned
314 Posts
Do you keep your dog on concrete?

Years ago my Alaskan Malemute had same problem. His pads got real dry and cracked. It was due to being on the hot surface throughout day. I forgot what I used, but it was some type of white oak ointment...perhaps the Aloe Vera gel would work also. I put him onto grass after that and problem never came back.

Clippers would work as long as you cut the dry skin (dead skin), which is insensitive.

Reactions: Eric

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
I have that problem with Ecko, several people on here recommended bag balm. It helps a little.

Reactions: Eric

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems like its not uncommon, hence the similar replies :). I don't keep him on the concrete all day, we have a doggy door, so he comes and goes as he pleases between the house and the backyard. I guess since he wasn't in pain while walking and while I was removing the pieces, it might not be a big deal. I'll just have to be careful while removing them and paying attention how he moves.

As for bag balm, is it sold at the usual pet stores like petco or petsmart? I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for those types of products as well as the spray :)

Thanks for the help again!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet! Thanks a bunch! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts