Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is pretty much the same as Aireal... My 5 month old apbt is horrible at this housetraing thing...can't keep her from peeing in the kennel...She was doing well at 8 weeks...almost had her trained then we got 14" of snow...I would put her down in the snow and she'd vanish!!!...scared the crap outta her...ever since then she pees all over the house... she goes number 2 outside for the most part and even goes to the door for that most of the time...I can leave her out all night, she sleeps on my bed and she'll do nothing allnight, but if shes awake shes gonna pee in the house or crate no matter how often I take her...any help would be great...

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
You may have her in a crate that is to large. What size crate do you have? When crate training the crate should only be big enough for her to stand up and turn around, nothing more. Can you take a picture of her in the crate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I am having the same difficulty with my puppy. I have house trained & crate trained successfully many times but this one is throwing me for a loop. Mine is in a small (size appropriate) crate and she will pee in it. Also, I walk her and she poops but within minutes of coming in, pees on my floor. She asks to go outside to make #2 but will be anywhere anytime no matter how many times I take her out (and she will pee outside) I make it all "business" when I take her out so she isn't playing and not pottying but still she is peeing inside and in her crate. It is driving me crazy....I have never had this much trouble from my other pits or other breed pups. Any advice you can give us both would be great!!:hammer:

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
My problem is pretty much the same as Aireal... My 5 month old apbt is horrible at this housetraing thing...can't keep her from peeing in the kennel...She was doing well at 8 weeks...almost had her trained then we got 14" of snow...I would put her down in the snow and she'd vanish!!!...scared the crap outta her...ever since then she pees all over the house... she goes number 2 outside for the most part and even goes to the door for that most of the time...I can leave her out all night, she sleeps on my bed and she'll do nothing allnight, but if shes awake shes gonna pee in the house or crate no matter how often I take her...any help would be great...
omg i feel you, cheza has beendoing pretty well latly but i still can't give her a kennel 1 inch bigger or she pees everywere grrr, i'm about to movein a month and think i am going to make her a nice outdor kennel for when i'm not home. lol i know i'm no real help but had to say i totally feel you!!! :mad:

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Puppies that will pee in an appropriately sized kennel, and not mind sitting in it, are usually the result of poor hygiene as a pup, either because of their dam, or their breeder. Either the dam didn't clean up the pups enough, and keep their bedding fairly neat, or the breeder neglected to give them enough room to pee where they don't sleep, or just clean the bedding every day or more. Dogs aren't necessarily instinctively clean.. it is largely learned early on.

This doesn't mean that you CAN'T train your pup, just means it's gonna be REALLY hard. Don't put a single scrap of bedding, paper, ANYTHING in the kennel. Nothing that will absorb the mess and let them be comfy with pee in there. Clean up every single accident with Nature's Miracle or another cleaner that gets rid of the enzymes. Keep her tethered to you when she's not in the crate. Learn her pee/poo signals by heart, and ALWAYS act on them. Keep a jar of delicious treats outside in her potty area. Make sure she pees/poops in the exact same area every time she's out. Reward like she just pooped out a gold pellet. :) As far as re-crate training her..Whenever you have to leave her for more than you think she can hold it, you can try setting up a small room, or a puppy play pen, and putting her crate in it. Tie chew toys inside the crate for her, so the crate is for relaxing, and put a cement block or tray with dirt or sod in it in the pen. The dirt may not work, b/c the pup may want to dig it up and make a huge mess! Basically, you want to use a surface she's not going to find inside the house. Now, she will learn her crate is for relaxing. You still want to shut her in the crate for short periods, and taking her out as much as possible in between. Hope this will help!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Puppies that will pee in an appropriately sized kennel, and not mind sitting in it, are usually the result of poor hygiene as a pup, either because of their dam, or their breeder. Either the dam didn't clean up the pups enough, and keep their bedding fairly neat, or the breeder neglected to give them enough room to pee where they don't sleep, or just clean the bedding every day or more. Dogs aren't necessarily instinctively clean.. it is largely learned early on.

This doesn't mean that you CAN'T train your pup, just means it's gonna be REALLY hard. Don't put a single scrap of bedding, paper, ANYTHING in the kennel. Nothing that will absorb the mess and let them be comfy with pee in there. Clean up every single accident with Nature's Miracle or another cleaner that gets rid of the enzymes. Keep her tethered to you when she's not in the crate. Learn her pee/poo signals by heart, and ALWAYS act on them. Keep a jar of delicious treats outside in her potty area. Make sure she pees/poops in the exact same area every time she's out. Reward like she just pooped out a gold pellet. :) As far as re-crate training her..Whenever you have to leave her for more than you think she can hold it, you can try setting up a small room, or a puppy play pen, and putting her crate in it. Tie chew toys inside the crate for her, so the crate is for relaxing, and put a cement block or tray with dirt or sod in it in the pen. The dirt may not work, b/c the pup may want to dig it up and make a huge mess! Basically, you want to use a surface she's not going to find inside the house. Now, she will learn her crate is for relaxing. You still want to shut her in the crate for short periods, and taking her out as much as possible in between. Hope this will help!
Good job I was going to say pretty much the same thing!
If you do not catch her in the act your cannot correct her and this is very important. That is one reason why you keep them attached to you or keep a close eye on them. Supervision is the key!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts