Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new Pit owner, two days ago I rescued an approx. 3-5 month old puppy that was abandoned and decided to give her a home. But, I've never owned a pitbull before and have heard that because of their temperament, they need different training than most dogs. I was wondering if there was any advice on basic and advanced training-someday I'd really like to enter her in an agility and/or obediance competition. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks, and I can't wait to get to know the "real" Pitbull instead of just their bad rep. :)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Pit bulls don't need different training than any other dog. You can get a general idea as to how "easy" it is to train a dog by their breed (a standard poodle is usually easier to train than a shiba inu), but what it really comes down to is working with the dog you have. Some pit bulls are more stubborn and independent, some are more laid-back and eager to please, but, in general, pit bulls are relatively easy to train because they are smart, hard-working, and willing to work FOR you and not just WITH you.

I was told by someone I trusted that because my dog is a pit bull, I needed to be harsher with him. I ended up almost ruining my boy because the training methods I was told to use you were too harsh for him; he's only where he is today in his training because of his good temperament which helped moderate the effects my hard training had on his personality.

So, train for your dog and who they are, not for who somebody else says they are. Some good authors to read up on are: Dr. Iann Dunbar (he's one of my favorite trainers), Patricia McConnell, Leslie McDevitt, Morgan Spector (who has a book on how to train using a clicker for obedience, which I'm gobbling up right now :), and Turid Rugaas (who goes into the dog body language aspect of things).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pit bulls don't need different training than any other dog. You can get a general idea as to how "easy" it is to train a dog by their breed (a standard poodle is usually easier to train than a shiba inu), but what it really comes down to is working with the dog you have. Some pit bulls are more stubborn and independent, some are more laid-back and eager to please, but, in general, pit bulls are relatively easy to train because they are smart, hard-working, and willing to work FOR you and not just WITH you.

I was told by someone I trusted that because my dog is a pit bull, I needed to be harsher with him. I ended up almost ruining my boy because the training methods I was told to use you were too harsh for him; he's only where he is today in his training because of his good temperament which helped moderate the effects my hard training had on his personality.

So, train for your dog and who they are, not for who somebody else says they are. Some good authors to read up on are: Dr. Iann Dunbar (he's one of my favorite trainers), Patricia McConnell, Leslie McDevitt, Morgan Spector (who has a book on how to train using a clicker for obedience, which I'm gobbling up right now :), and Turid Rugaas (who goes into the dog body language aspect of things).
Thanks so much! I'll deff. check out those authors

My training tips for any dog would be.....lots of exercise, keep it fun and different, and don't slack as they get older!
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind

·
Registered
96 Posts
K8nkane said it perfectly..I respect and appreciate that you care enough to ask despite what you've heard. I have mainly owned pits but I've grown up w a rotty and a golden retriever and neither learned as quick as my pitties or were as eager to please.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Training an APBT is no different that training a poodle. Each dog is different and reacts differently to training. Some dogs respond to clicker training while others respond better to food training.

The most important thing to remember is ALWAYS train in a positive manner. Do not get upset or discouraged when training doesn't go the way you want it to because the dog will pick up on this.

Another tip is to train in short sessions. I have found training a puppy 3 times a day for 10 to 15 minutes each time very effective. Again, it will all depend of the dog.

The earlier you train the dog in age the better. With that said you must CONTINUE training everyday. What training a dog comes down to is simply "routine". When a dog has a routine they will succeed in my opinion.

Do not give up on training. There are times where you can train your dog to roll over and play dead but cannot get him or her to sit. Again, every dog is different.

One command I would make sure you teach your dog is the COME command. This command can end up saving your dogs life as well as advert other problems. You want to make sure that your dog will come back to you when called. You can even train the dog to come back to you when you whistle, it is all in how you train it.

Never ever hit a dog, especially when it comes back to you. I have had a lot of people come to me say that their dog refuses to come to them. I ask them some questions and 9 out of 10 times the reason is when the dog does something bad, like urinate on the carpet, the owner tells the dog to come here. As soon as the dog goes to the owner, the owner hit the dog. What that does is TEACH the dog that anytime it come to you when called it will get hit...you see where I am going with this.

Good luck and any questions feel free to ask!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts