Go Pitbull Forums banner
301 - 320 of 320 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Food, Glorious Food…

I was a satisfied user of Evo Red Meat formula for my 2.5 y/o pit, Walter, but two recalls this year scared me off. He did OK on Evo, but I noticed inconsistencies with his poop, and he was never really enthusiastic about his food.

After the recalls, I switched to Orijen Adult formula. After 6 months, I'm really pleased. Firstly, Walter loves it. Much more enthusiastic. His stools are completely consistent and regular. His coat gleams, and I'm a happy customer.

It is expensive, around $70 for a 28# bag, but to maintain his weight (#85) he only eats just under two cups per day, so in reality Orijen isn't much more expensive. I also subscribe to regular deliveries, which hets you a discount. There are many suppliers out there; I happen to use Petflow.com and that reduces the costs and I don't have to lug sacks of food from the store.

The only "extras" my dog gets are the occasional egg, a can of sardines, tuna and yoghurt. And, of course, a fresh bone once a week, which I stock up with from a local butcher and freeze them until needed.

· Registered
3 Posts
I used to use purina dog chow & bil jac than i switched to benefyl found out how bad these were & my holstic vet suggested canidae. my girl was on this for 4.5 years & the last 2 bags was having direaha for almost 2 months found out others were having this issue. I started searching a bunch of fourms and was told about Fromm she has been on this since Mid of February she is doing good eats more regularly than with the canidae and her poo is better than before. I love that they never had a recall... :)

· Registered
9 Posts
I had to come back to this post to try and remember what the +'s and -'s are to certain dog foods. I used to get this dog food from Costco, came in a green bag with yellow lettering? I can't remember it now but it was recommended, had great ingredients and was ~$20.00 for a 40lb bag...anyways, yeah just picked up some Nutro Max Mini Chunks? We'll see how it works out.

Thumbs up for this sticky, very informative resource
I know this is an old post but for new readers, DO NOT BUY THIS!

Just as cheap and bad as pedigree or other low quality dog foods.

Try to remember if its a good price and a large amount of food, you get what you pay for and its like the mc donalds of pet food.

· APBT!
9,636 Posts
Just got my pit .she is fat 95 lbs 3yrs old. what do you feed for weight loss?
What are you currently feeding? Depending on the feed, you should cut back the kibble and increase exercise.

· Registered
39 Posts
I am curious if anyone out there would help me for this one? I honestly saw how to do it and am pretty confused with a concentration span of a 2 year old. I really don't think I will get this one right. Let me know if you can, what this says in case I need to switch! I have a feeling its a fail.

Poultry Meal, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Digest, Canola Oil, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Yeast, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulphate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium iodate, Selenium Enriched Yeast, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex, Folic Acid, Ground Flax Seed, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Garlic, Ginger, Rosemary Oil, Mixed Tocopherols, Soybean Lecithin.

· Registered
1 Posts
Dog Foods

Hello everyone,
I'm new here just joined today. I have a 3 yo rescue that I adopted last year from Humane Society. After I got her, my vet recommended Science Diet. Because she did, I didn't realize that Science diet was a low quality food. She is more than half white and has some skin issues/allergies I'm not sure to what. I have her on grain free. She was on it for over a year. I tried Zignature but the high fiber in it caused her to go 3, 4 times a day. I would love to give her Orijen but I'm on a tight budget. I researched a few good quality foods are Orijen, canidae and one was Earthborn. I give her grain free lamb, just dry. She loves it, she burps a lot but her bowels are good (normal) again. I know she needs a high proein, she's not very active. Does anyone have their dog on earthborn? I didn't see it on the list?

· Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new here just joined today. I have a 3 yo rescue that I adopted last year from Humane Society. After I got her, my vet recommended Science Diet. Because she did, I didn't realize that Science diet was a low quality food. She is more than half white and has some skin issues/allergies I'm not sure to what. I have her on grain free. She was on it for over a year. I tried Zignature but the high fiber in it caused her to go 3, 4 times a day. I would love to give her Orijen but I'm on a tight budget. I researched a few good quality foods are Orijen, canidae and one was Earthborn. I give her grain free lamb, just dry. She loves it, she burps a lot but her bowels are good (normal) again. I know she needs a high proein, she's not very active. Does anyone have their dog on earthborn? I didn't see it on the list?
She doesn't need high protein if she's not very active. Orijen is a great food but very rich so if she's not exercising much, you won't be able to feed her very much or she will quickly gain weight. I feed Acana (made by the same company as Orijen), it is a great food and slightly less rich.

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
Hello everyone,
She doesn't need high protein if she's not very active. Orijen is a great food but very rich so if she's not exercising much, you won't be able to feed her very much or she will quickly gain weight. I feed Acana (made by the same company as Orijen), it is a great food and slightly less rich.
I was going to say the same thing. I feed Acana as well for the same reasons as BC does. I switched to the Pork and Squash because it is limited ingredients, single protein source and the lowest calories Acana has for their kibbles.

· Registered
87 Posts
Any recommendations for dog food in South Africa? Most of the ones posted here are not available in my country... I'm currently feeding my 9 month old APBT Hill's Science Plan Healthy Development (this is what my vet recommended), but I see that Science Plan isn't actually the best as I was led to believe. Please advise :)

· Registered
1 Posts
Dog Food Coupons

1800PetMeds Coupon Codes

Let's shop at 1800PetMeds to find the best supplements, foods and products for your pets! At this site, all products are made with the healthiest, natural ingredients which are independently tested by third parties to verify label claims so you can have no worry about its quality. Moreover, they are proud to provide you the great savings on your order and believe that you will satisfy with receiving your pet medicine in the convenience of your own home. The price will be lower if you use 1800PetMeds coupons from Thedailycoupons.com. This is one of popular sites providing the latest 1800PetMeds discounts for consumers.

· Registered
1 Posts
OK, not getting any closer on a good dog food. What I mean is I need a dog food my 6 year old American Blue Pit will eat! She loves BEEF, Chicken, any meat I eat, but that can get expensive, she eats 6 times what I eat! So where do I start? I googled for best dog food and I keep getting this brand called Into the Wild. That shit sucks! I bought a bag from Chewy.com and they gave me my money back because my dog won't eat it. Maybe because it's filled with RICE, WTF? Any IDEAS?

301 - 320 of 320 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.