Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO today I was taking my dogs 2 1/2 yr old blaze red nose and Nala 14week old puppy to get a bath nails trim and ear cleaning. As soon as I walk inte door with my boy on a leash walking and the puppy in my arms 2 lady's at the front door look at me and whisper, OMG he has 2 of them! As I continue to the grooming section I'm thinking god this place is terrible. After checking in the puppy and having blaze rejected because I didn't have proof of his rabies with me we walk out the door. A lady with 2 little fur balls is walking up blaze looks at them and starts galloping in place whining I'm guessing out of excitement since he hasn't seen to many dogs lately. A woman with a 7-8 yr old daughter grabs her and hides around the corner peeking telling her it's ok nothings going to happen to you?????? My dog is on a leash and not even bein aggressive with his tail smacking everything around. Then the lady with the 2 small fur balls look at me like I'm the devil with a dinosaur and says I need to get over past u can u please hold on to that thing and let me by. I finally get him to relax and everyone is just staring like we just murdered someone I mean I know he should probably be a little more quiet but if he was a lab or boxer or anything else they would have been saying something probably like aww look he just wants to play !!! So cutee I HATE PETSMART!!! Just venting sorry.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Its usually not a good idea taking them to crowded places like that.. yes it is bs that people act like that but just because his tail is wagging doesnt mean he just wanted to play with the other dogs... i would probly stay away from places like that ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it make me a bad owner that he doesn't just sit and ignore them.? I was kinda embarrased. I love my dogs and he's a great dog at home and when I walk him. Only with dogs does he ever get like that but he's great with my puppy and other mutt. I just kinda felt like I failed at representing him there.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
If you do obedience work them maybe it would help but i would never take one of my dogs in somewhere like that.. too many things could go wrong and whether it be your fault or not because you had the "pitbull" it would be your fault.. just be cautious and never leave them unsupervised together .. you never know what could happen ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've left him and the mutt together for over 4 years everyday.Never anything there both fixed but she humps him all the time as he just submits and lays Down lol.But I will not be going back there I have a bandfield plan for the puppy and after the first year I won't be taking her anymore either just didn't really have a choice money wise it's helps. Thank you for the advice though with everything I appreciate it. I just don't want my dog to be looked at like hea evil when he's the furthest thing from it you know.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
I'm A fun guy. On the seldom occasion I go to them stores,I do not bring my dog, why?
I walk around, and when folks with them rats come near me I back up and do what they've done to you.When they engage me, that's when I drop the bomb.
I tell them how many times I've been bitten in my 50 odd years by small dogs, and it's been alot.
I then tell them, they ALWAYS ask, do I have A dog?i tell them yes, for 30 whatever years I've owned alot of pit bulls and I've never been bitten.
I close with, " so please, keep your dog over there, because if it bites MEi will demand it be put down".
Yes, this is what I do and how I have reversed the tables.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm A fun guy. On the seldom occasion I go to them stores,I do not bring my dog, why?
I walk around, and when folks with them rats come near me I back up and do what they've done to you.When they engage me, that's when I drop the bomb.
I tell them how many times I've been bitten in my 50 odd years by small dogs, and it's been alot.
I then tell them, they ALWAYS ask, do I have A dog?i tell them yes, for 30 whatever years I've owned alot of pit bulls and I've never been bitten.
I close with, " so please, keep your dog over there, because if it bites MEi will demand it be put down".
Yes, this is what I do and how I have reversed the tables.
That's too funny. If I said that where I live to all these rich folk that think there above everyone they would probably die right in the store lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I go on low volume business hours. When I plan on getting my dogs groomed or seeing the vet. All my appointments are either during the early mornings or in the late evenings. I also have gone enough I know what does have training days and what days don't. I keep a training schedule also so I know what times and when they are holding classes so I can attempt to avoid it. I've never had the 'OMG PIT BULL RUN!' reaction. Actually all the cashiers and the manager LOVES my dogs.

I plan on doing obedience classes with Jud in petsmart. So getting him use to the setting and people is pretty important.

Oh when I have someone arguing with me about my dogs I usually tell them that the dogs are the last thing they need to worry about biting them. Usually gets them away. If they are dumb enough to ask why; I just tell them I bite too.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would encourage you to find a better trainer LovingPit. Petsmart "dog trainers" are idiots.

My dogs are obedience trained and I still don't take them to petsmart due to the amount of rejects I have seen their and their employees are usually idiots.

I know of ONE petsmart employee who knows her shit lol. Thats because shes one of us.

I do take my dogs to my Tractor Supply. They love my dogs and we have no issues at the feed store.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yea Petsmart is a rare trip...we still go occasionally but since alexa was turned away because she looked like a pit bull...and all i wanted was her nails grinded....ohwell.....i get tired of little dogs on retractable leashes....ugh

·
Registered
223 Posts
I prefer Petco. The one out here has really nice people. No matter what your dog is they seem to like them. I took Jaws in to return his head collar since his big head grew out of a medium. He will be 4 months in 2 days and already tips the scale at 40lbs. The assistant manager was nice he helped me the last time. He was like "oh he is a pit mix, what else is he mixed with?" I just told him I don't know what Jaws is. So him and a trainer played guess the breeds of dog. The guy then sat on the floor with jaws and fitted all kinds of no pull harnesses on him for me. Jaws ended up with the gentle leader harness in a size large. It's a tiny bit too big but in a week it should fit. The trainer there was really nice as well. She was telling me about all the classes and how I should come in to see and Jaws could get some social time when they have their puppy play time. I won't take there classes though, they want $120 for 6 sessions. Besides the fact that I can train my own pup.

One of the other associates also told me he had a pit bull of his own, and helped me find durable toys for Jaws. So I guess it just depends on what store you go to really. I mean Jaws only got one funny look from a man and his 3 kids but other then that nothing else. He also got to meet with the adoptable greyhounds. I wouldn't recommend going on the weekends though. That's when those stores usually have the adoption days, and dog events like the training classes.

Local feed stores are good places to go. They are usually laid back and the two in my town love Jaws and love to feed him treats. He also seems to be more well mannered in the feed stores since they have a more calming environment. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2 cents... When I first rescued my Pit, I felt wierd around people and what they thought, and when asked what kind of dog he was, I would say Retriever Mix.... After about a week of denying the fact that I had a Pit and worrying what people thought and who was offended, I decided this is childish and enough is enough...

My rescued Pit, Zane is a awesome dog... Very well behaved, great with my 8 year old daughter, after having him for only 1.5 months I can say I trust him 100%... He's gentle with other dogs and has been changing people views on Pits since day one... I haven't said retriever mix since week 1, and when asked now, I proudly say, he's a American Pitbull..

We started obiedience classes last tuesday, one lady with her little yapper thing was scared for her life and her dogs life becuase my dog was in the class, he was by far the most well behaved dog in the class also, The instructor offered her a full refund if she was that scared for her life.."Awesome instructor" It was really funny, the women must have felt like a Moron, while her dog never stopped barking or trying to attack other dogs...

So with that said I don't give a flying F$%#$ what people think, I will take my dog wherever I dam well please and if people have a problem they can be the ones to leave!!!

I will change peoples views on Pits one at a time!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
@American_Pit - I would, but I am not a n00b trainer either. Also a trainer is only as good as the person they are teaching how to handle their dogs. A Trainer isn't training the dog, they are training the people on how to train their dogs. Its just a dabble experience for me. Jud already meets the criteria to actually start in intermediate classes. Snow could be Advanced. I trained Snow all by my self. Just books and research.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I only went because I felt lazy with giving them a bath other the. That I dot really. But it wasn't employees only customers that were acting like idiots.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
PetSmart, PetCo, etc associates and management, including "dog trainers" and "dog feed reps" are not trained to understand much of anything.. They are trained to sell and continue producing profits.. With the "trainers", the training program is old and paid for years ago thus virtually all cost you as the customer pay for training is virtually straight pocket for the company with a small % to the employee if quota is met.

These type of places are okay if you have a puppy and use them as part of your socializing technique, however once about a year on i'd avoid period. Don't take them to be groomed, trained or just walk around beyond that. Their grooming departments are also a joke.

These "specialized" departments of these type stores are just associates that have a few weeks or so of training, the grooming area more so than the training area however most of the trainer associates are trained to sell first and foremost.. The more they sell classes, the more money the company and them get.

You have a few every now and then that know what they are talking about however very few and far in between. Most know what the company tells them to know and look no further as they are working jobs not careers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
PetSmart, PetCo, etc associates and management, including "dog trainers" and "dog feed reps" are not trained to understand much of anything.. They are trained to sell and continue producing profits.. With the "trainers", the training program is old and paid for years ago thus virtually all cost you as the customer pay for training is virtually straight pocket for the company with a small % to the employee if quota is met.

These type of places are okay if you have a puppy and use them as part of your socializing technique, however once about a year on i'd avoid period. Don't take them to be groomed, trained or just walk around beyond that. Their grooming departments are also a joke.

These "specialized" departments of these type stores are just associates that have a few weeks or so of training, the grooming area more so than the training area however most of the trainer associates are trained to sell first and foremost.. The more they sell classes, the more money the company and them get.

You have a few every now and then that know what they are talking about however very few and far in between. Most know what the company tells them to know and look no further as they are working jobs not careers.
Socialization IS one of the reason I am placing Jud through these classes. I plan on trying to complete with him in WP. And he needs to get use to being around other dogs and people. Not seeing and playing with them, the noises and distractions they make. Am I wrong for doing this? Otherwise I train my dogs myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tractor Supply and feed stores do rock because they are laid back.

There are definitely two schools of thought on pitbulls in public places...and I tend to agree tmack, as my dog has been socialized to people and various dogs, including the uncivilized toy breeds.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I go to Unleashed with my boy a lot, its owned by petco I think, but only during the week and never if I see a ton of dogs in there, I go to the bath's they have its like $7 and I can do it myself in leave the towels and wet and mess behind. Mel is good in the tubs. He is good when we see other dogs in there as well. If I don't catch him in time when we are walking he might try and act a fool, I just concentrate on reading his signals and I know when is is about to go off and make sure he knows he can not. In the store I think he knows to be on his best behavior and not act a fool, but I still don't risk it if I see more than 1 or 2 pups inside.

As far as you being a bad owner if your dog does that, no I do not think that at all as long as your collar fits and he can't slip off. Especially while you are looking for help training. I like trainers that come to my house and my neighborhood so my boy is in his element and didn't have the honeymoon period of being a good boy since he was out of his element.

have you thought about getting a dremel and working with your pups so they are not afraid of it and then you don't have to worry about bringing them anywhere. I got one with a bunch of tools for $30 I think? Saves money and time in the log run. I used the buffer the first few times to get my boy used to the noise and the vibrations on his nails, then switched to the smoothest sandpaper or grinder.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you do obedience work them maybe it would help but i would never take one of my dogs in somewhere like that.. too many things could go wrong and whether it be your fault or not because you had the "pitbull" it would be your fault.. just be cautious and never leave them unsupervised together .. you never know what could happen ;)
exactly this^^ .. My dog just chills and listens to command when other dogs are present but it took a lot of training to accomplish that task and I still a void high dog traffic areas with him for his own protection as you never know when another dog might want to pick a fight and it will always be the pitbulls fault in the eyes on a non pit owner.. xD Also not to mention what parasites and diseases your dog may come in contact where all those dogs have traveled and some even defecate.. lol. I have seen that first hand in a PetCo.. Not to mention the further danger of some employee trying to stuff your dogs face with a corn based doggy treat. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts