Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my pet peeves is fat dogs.

It's a shame to me that people allow their dogs to get overweight and out of condition, as it shortens their lifespan and quality of life. Often when I tell them their dog needs to lose weight, they say "Well my vet said he's fine." I don't know what to tell ya, your vet is wrong. Your dog is fat and out of shape. Or they say "But he's solid!" Uhh... solid fat? People also tell me my Belgian Malinois look thin, even when they need to drop 5 pounds.

Pitties are even better to show this because of their short hair the muscle tone shows in some dogs.

So I would appreciate if anyone can give me photos of well-conditioned very lean dogs that I can share with clients, I need permission from you to post the photo on our FB page as well as on our website for a blog article about obesity and pets. Thanks!

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
my Odin isnt super lean but he is a good example for showing that u can trim down and still look "solid"

Before

After

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
This is Dosia at around 70lbs. The heaviest he's ever been in 72.3. He got a snake bite on his left front paw that got infected so he was a couch potatoe for a while there ;) this was right when we started getting him back in shape.

And these are current pics. He's down to 65lbs now. Not too much of a decrease but he's definitely more fit and looks better IMO

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I don't "condition" per say, but between regular play, exercise and proper diet my crew stays in what I would consider pretty healthy shape.

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I don't "condition" per say, but between regular play, exercise and proper diet my crew stays in what I would consider pretty healthy shape.

:goodpost:
Thems some fine lookin doggies right thur ;)
Same here. We don't reall "condition" either. Between WP training,dock diving and regular play and walks he's staying at a really good weight.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Dosia is giving that rubber tire the business! i love when they destroy things that are supposed to be destroyed... they are so pleased with themselves afterwards. all smiles and wagging. lol

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Ah thank you thank you very much lol.
For sure. You know I got lots of love for you and the crew ;)
Here's a few of Earl and the late Junkyard deLUXe.

He is just a pup sorry dont have any standing pics
Great photos as always Doug. Lux was such a handsome boy. One question though. Where's miss poison Ivy ;) I think Ivy needs a little more spotlight ;) she is such a beautiful little girl :love:
Dosia is giving that rubber tire the business! i love when they destroy things that are supposed to be destroyed... they are so pleased with themselves afterwards. all smiles and wagging. lol
That's his favorite toy ever XD. We went for a run out on the dirt trails and he found an old tire someone dumped on the property. He spent quite a while digging it out of the mud and leaves but he was so proud of himself that he got it out. When we left he kept looking back at it all sad like. I think he wanted to bring it home XD

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Daisy, dont really work her.. a little spring/flirt pole and her just running around the backyard all day

Diesel, hes a nut for the spring/flirt poles

DreDogg, he's just naturally a bodybuilder.. lazy dog..lol. other than running around with Daisy he doesnt get much exercise

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Man its nothing like seeing great looking APBTreal woring in shape pits gotta love it you guys have incredable dogs cant wait til mine is older looking like that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I dont condition either but heres my pit mix at healthy weight

and here is my boxer/lab mix....yes he is a boxer/lab mix...in the best shape for him

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
:love:Poison ivy.....my all time favorite

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I don't have APBT but I think my bullys are in good condition. Goes to show bullys arent all fat too.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Terra has not had any formal conditioning for a while, but she keeps herself pretty fit. I'd consider this close to a normal weight for her. These pics taken in warmer weather. She's got a touch more on her right now for the coldness.

This is her right before ADBA Nationals. We missed our mark this time. I was trying not to over-cardio her because she gets rail-thin. I think I under-cardioed her. Derp.

This is my favorite condition for her. Weight pull "keep."

And here are a few of her at what was probably the best shape I've been able to achieve with her for the ADBA ring. I like a little more "pop" in the rear like she has in the pic above, but they prefer a leaner muscle.

I will disclaim that we are still learning, and that every time I try to condition her, I do something different.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts