Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to see this, I am sure it will make pit bull owners look bad because on the preview they showed the dogs fighting and a 2 year old on the couch.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
As usual with hoarders, a traumatic experience caused his hoarding.

He had a pit bull named Lucy that he loved and was his best friend. A year after rescuing her from someone that was about to shoot her, she got hit by a car and died. He said he holed up for 6 months after that. He started collecting pit bulls after that. He says he loves the greeting he gets from them.

He's actually not TOO bad compared to some hoarders (like the other hoarder featured has 84 cats) -- he's only got 13 ... but he isn't a kennel and he doesn't have the financial means to take care of him and his daughter let alone the dogs.

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he is horrid he chose to sleep in a tent with his dog rather then in a home with his daughter.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Not because he doesn't love his daughter, but because he's suffering from a mental disorder. Hoarding = mental issues.

Overall, I think it was an okay episode. There weren't any negative comments that perpetuated pit bull stereotypes but they didn't exactly touch on anything positive, either. They had a quick blurb about pit bulls being hard to place and that was it.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I expected it to be bad for the breed but nothing really was said negative about the dogs. When they said they didnt like him having the dogs it was because of the number of dogs he had and the time he spent on them. It was never about them being bad dogs or dangerous and they never really said they thought the 2yr old daughter was in danger from the dogs.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
that is good to hear...I was wondering how it went

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
you can get it online usually after a few days. isohunt may have it too if its not on Animal Planet's site.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
13. I thought they said 18. Bah. Either way,he ended up giving them to good homes.
They all had great temperaments.
I too was in the same boat as you,wondering what this show would do to the breed,the commercials looked negative. But in all truths,it didn't portray the dogs in a bad light at all. It did show them fight a few times. But that was about it.
The grandparents were concerned cause he was ignoring his toddler,and only focusing on "saving" these dogs.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
my daughter caught the episode and told me a lil about it...i really want to see it for myself...i saw the previews and thought the guy only had like 4 or 5 dogs...then she told me the real deal...gotta see it for myself before i make a judgement on it

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pfftt I thought he had 19 because he had gotten new ones. Yeah no bully bashing which was good. LS he had like 3 that lived with him at his moms house the others were on some property outside of town.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with the statement that hoarding is a mental illness.

One huge positive note was the condition of the dogs. They looked in great shape, and the ones that were shown seemed to have good temperments. Even the folks from the HS said he had done a "great job" in rehabiliting them.

So, hated watching it, but I did. And at least they didn't slam the breed. the haters don't need anymore fuel for their fire.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Yeah, he definitely took care of his dogs, which is more than I can say for most animal hoarders.

He was feeding them Taste of the Wild, I don't know if anyone else caught that small part of the show. And they were all in great shape and as friendly as could be.

You guys are right though -- he actually had 19. 3 lived with him and the rest were chained up on a property he owned outside of town.

There wasn't even any bashing against chaining your dog, either!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts