Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well no surprise that we encountered pit bull prejudice today for the first time since owning Bella. I must say that it made me get a little down but I won't give up in trying to make people see the positive light with this wonderful breed. Its snowing crazy here in Boston today and my daughter got released early from school. I walked with Bella to meet her at the corner and a woman that I know in the neighborhood was approaching me with her kids. She said hi to me and then asked if our new pup was a Pit bull. I said no she is an american bully and she was like, yeah a pit bull. I wasn't going to get into it with explaining but she basically said that she doesn't like them and is afraid of them. She said I know I shouldn't be but the media has made me that way :( I told her how sorry I felt for her for feeling that way cause they are great dogs and family pets. She then said no, my golden retriever is an excellent family pet and that she would never own one of them dogs. Ugh! I bit my tounge after that and told her to have a nice day. What was your first experience of prejudice with your pit bull/bully?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Wow I am sorry you had to go thru this but being an owner of this breed it happens generally on a daily basis, it sux that ppl just can't be open, I mean I do not like Chows or little dogs, especially Chi's BUT I LOVE all dogs, I would just never own either of these breeds, that is my choice but I do not bad mouth them or anything. I honestyl do not remember my first expierence, it has been so long ago but I deal with it at least once a week.

All I can say is keep trying you would be surprised how a well behaved APBT or Bully can change someones mind ;) ((hugs)) and good luck.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, once a week? That's sad. Honestly, I have had so many great people come up to me in Petsmart, Petco, and other pet stores we go to and say how beautiful she is and pet her. They ask if she is a Pit bull and a few have told me that ever since they have started watching Pit Boss and Pit bulls and Parolees that it has changed there opinions of the breed. I have been blown away by people who have approached me positively. It's just amazing how one person can ruin all that :(. Oh well, I knew that at some point I would have to deal with it. I just have to not let it bother me when it does happen :) Thanks for the hugs :hug:

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
You know, I can't really remember the first time I was on the receiving end of prejudice against my dog, but I get it quite often. It also doesn't help being a 26yr old hispanic male who lives in a crap town. So automatically people start thinking negatively and get the wrong idea about both my dog and myself.

With me though, maybe not everyone, with all the bad looks and ignorant comments I get from clueless people, I feel on top of the world when I get one or 2 compliments. Whether they just say something simple like my boy is cute or completely compliment his friendliness and go into depth about how they like the breed and hate the bad rap they have. I've had both types of compliments and I can say that I'm comfortable taking a couple negative comments, because the positive ones are much more valuable to me :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AMEN to that Eric! Well put :) I have been on top of the world because I had nothing but positive comments, but you are absolutely right. The positive out weigh the negative for sure.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Oh yes girl, at least once a week. Especially with my red boy Phoenix, everyone always says he has such a big head and he looks so mean, but he really is a big ole baby, he is my dog and when we are out in public, omg like just the other day I was at the feed store to get dog food and weigh Phoenix cause it was time for heartworm treatment and this girl, she had to bea bout 8 or 9 I guess turned around and saw him and went "awwwwww" look at the big red puppy, he looks like Clifford. :p I had to chuckle she came over and ask if she could pet him, I told her yes to let him smell her first, she says oh I know my mom told me how to act around dogs, we have dogs at home, :) This made me super happy to hear, abotu that time the mom turned around and the look on her face was priceless, btu she did not make a big deal outof it and continued to elt her daughter pet Pheonix for abit til the owner of the store walked out with her stuff to put in her car. She smiled and said he is very well behaved for a bulldog. So she obviously knew her dogs which made me happy

SOrry for the story, I also have one from Petsmart and a little girl who's mother wasn't watching her, a toddler no less, couldn't ahve been more than 18 mo. to 2 yrs. came thru the sliding glass door on her own with mom at least 4 foot behind her, Phoenix is laying at my feet at the check out counter, I ehard the little girl squeal and when I turned around she was making a beeline to Phoenix, now Neener LOVES babies and small kids, LOVES them, about 3 steps before the little girl got to him she tripped that is when the mother walked in and saw where her child was going she screamed, little girl fell on Phoenix and he proceeded to drown her with kisses. The mother runs over and snatches the little girl up, i told her why did you do that. She said I thought your dog was gonna eat her, I had to laug cause even the register chick was laguhing and I said he wouldn't harm that little girl, put her down and find out, he was giving her kisses and IF you had been holding her hand you wouldn't have this problem :p

I do speak up to most ppl but others I just have to walk away from, just like Eric said for all the negative I get those few good compliments or encounters make it all worthwhile. And to teh OP, when owning a bulldog you gotta have thick skin, it took me a while to learn this, as I get very defensive about my breed of choice cause ppl are always bad motuhing them, but after a few eyars and more knowledge I don't let it bother me nearly as much, but there is always that one person who can get under your skin

Wow I am just full of stuff this morning :p

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lol I've never heard of a pitbull eating a toddler xD that's hilarious. She should know that if a dog is in petsmart and is comfortable enough to lay on the floor that it is a darn well tempered dog because most pups completely lose it in that store from what I've seen lol

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Nobody says anything to me.. the most that happened was we had some friends over... one of the girls was petting Allie (my cousins apbt I used to care for) .. all was being all lovable... she asked what breed dog she was ... I told her pit bull..she quickly pulled her hand away and got scared.. even though she had already commented on how nice she was

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Most people don't say anything to me i get more nice comments than any other. But I do see a whole lot of people cross the street when we're coming. My wife was walking with us once and a family crossed the street when they saw us coming. She got so mad and said did you see what those people did? They don't know that our dog is the sweetest ever. I looked at her and said "oh I thought it was me they were afraid of.

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
The first time I dealt with real breed prejudice was when I was out walking in the first 6 months I owned Nubs. We use to live next to this WONDERFUL biking/walking path that was next to a river. I would walk about 2 miles a day with a stop over in a little place where I could block the only exit and Nubs could be safely off leash and play in the river. Man I miss that place.

At the half way mark there is a boat launch and a play ground about 200yards away. Nubs was on a 6ft leash just sniffing away when some jerk started screaming at me for having my "nasty Pit Bull" near a playground. He started coming toward me and Nubs (who didn't seem to even be bothered by the manic) yelling at me to get lost, or he's going to call Animal Control on me and my vicious dog.

I just stayed right at the boat launch and yelled back "Oh Animal Control? Would you like me to call Sue? She'll be more then happy to stop by and play with my dog and bring a cop along to ticket you for harassment!" I had just spoken to our AC officer not more then 2 months before this because she stopped me on a walk and asked if I had seen a loose dog. She stopped and loved on Nubs for 15/20 mins and told me if I never needed her help, let her know. He left me be after that, but it was just, crazy. As soon as he turned his back I high tailed it out of there. I wasn't going to deal with that.

Its not uncommon to have people jump back in shock when you way they are petting a Pit Bull. I've NEVER had someone jump back and walk away though. They all have jumped back, we've talked for a few minuets and then they went back to loving on Nubs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm actually afraid of chows, akitas, and most rotties, and it's because I've seen or heard (from people who've seen) what those dogs can do, despite meeting some that are very friendly. That said, I would never dream of telling anyone that when they're out enjoying their dog. It's like insulting family, and I know how angry it makes me when people insult mine.

My first experience with breed prejudice was my first pit bull. I wasn't really even aware that people didn't like them, although I knew that they were banned in certain places and stuff. I was renting a room from a really cool woman who didn't care what kind of dog I had as long as it didn't tear up her house. Anyway, I took Lucy out for a walk and a woman was jogging past and said 'Is that a red nose? Those dogs are mean!' I thought she was really dumb, asking me what color my dog's nose was (couldn't she tell herself???) and just rolled my eyes.

Through the years I have gotten some dirty looks, people crossing the street, and one father snatching his toddler son up into the air by the arm so that my dog didn't hurt him. The little boy cried because his dad hurt him. What a moron.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Aww poor Nubs. That dog seriously has the kindest eyes. He looks like he'd be a great teddy bear ;)
Last week before I went to Reno, Ryan and I took our son and Dosia down to the river park to have a picnic, play at the play ground, and feed the ducks. After we ate we walked over by the swings and there was another family there. As soon as they saw Dosia the mother grabbed her smallest kid off the swing and the father made the older one stand by his side while they walked away frantically. This Dosia loves playing at the playground with the kids, he'd never hurt a soul. I had people tell me that he's gunna snap and you can tell cause his eye's are crazy bla bla bla. It's cause they have no experience with the breed at all.
I had one guy at the store actually ask me if he was going to bite. I was like WTH???? Seriously, he's just sitting there like I told him to. Then the guy was like, "I cut my hand and he'll smell the blood and go for it!" ahahhahhahahahaha
we all had a good laugh about my shark dog :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Once we got into the breed my own family quit letting their kids come to play at our house even after seeing my three kids in the yard playing with them!! What really aggravated me was that my uncle has a german shepard that would bite my daughter everytime she walked in his yard but yet she still lets her kids play over there!! people are just so judgemental and it hurts my feelings everytime i look at my dogs because i know what good dogs they are. its just something your gonna have to get used to because it seems like a never ending battle

·
Registered
36 Posts
It really is a never ending battle. I was talking to a woman about her search for an adoptable dog the other day, and she said "We dont' care what breed, as long as it's not a pit or pit mix. We love pit bulls but we don't want it mistaking the 9 year old for a snack.'

How the F can you love pit bulls but say something so stupid in the same sentence? ALL dogs bite, and assuming that cute little fluffy mix from the shelter is more safe than a mentally stable, well mannered pit bull from a reputable rescue is STUPID. It was difficult to keep my mouth closed on that one, but you gotta pick your battles. Either reach out to the public and find good dogs homes, or drive them away because you try to change bullheaded, stupid opinions.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
ugh so sad! Thats the worst, when people are all over your pup telling you how handsome he is and then ask the breed and then back away. I will say I have also been surprised myself more than once. I see someone and they ask and then they bend down and get kisses or high fives but to me I assume they are gonna be the pull away types, lol. I guess for enough bad, there are getting to be more and more good or people willing to talk than before. But then again its winter and walking out with your pup around here makes you stand out. Its amazing how many dogs I don't see for months out of the year. Poor cooped up pups!

Keep smiling and screw the haters :)

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Registered
600 Posts
You will get used to it, once you realise it happens nearly everyday, just laugh at them and move on your way. That realy bothers some people.

Its way easier to remember the people that suprise you, i once had a lady that wouldve been somewhere near eighty years old yell at me from accross the street "is that an american pit bull terrier?" when i replied yes i was expecting her to say something negative but she asked if i could bring it over so she could have a pat! We couldnt cross that street fast enough to get to her, she explained that she had only ever saw one other and it was a pup two weeks earlier, she then commented that she was now in love with the looks and the temp, she also seemed to have done her research as she new the dog was fully grown , which is rare, most people assume all the dogs i have had are stunted runts or still pups lol.

That was more than ten years ago and i remember it clear as day it happened.
I cant remember any real bad incident simply because i dont care lol.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

If I get a negative comment and it's clear the person isn't receptive to learning the truth, I just go on my way. Some minds you can never change and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it.

·
Banned
835 Posts
i think the voice of reality needs to come into play here.
it's a dog, not your kid or a human. based on that
rudimentary fact you should stay humble and ignore
what you hope others will say and what you actually know.
people getting butt hurt over a strangers actions or comments
is the last thing one should be moaning about. lighten up folks,
life is to short for you to be griping about a dog that isn't for
everyone. your dogs have thicker skins than you do.
i thought people chose dogs because they have the same
attributes as the breed they've chosen. seems some should
be die hard corgi owners and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts