Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people come on here in the past week or more saying they have a certified therapy dog who is a pit bull. Though that is impressive and I love this breed dearly, for a breed that is so discriminated against and BSL being everywhere these days how is it even easy to own a pit that is a therapy dog?

Also, don't these dogs have to be trained by a properly licensed and accredited facility for the first 18 months of there lives, going everywhere with a volunteer, being overly socialized and brought into all different types of enviroments? Most if not all the therapy dogs I see are labs, goldens, GSD, or on occassion a mixed breed dog. Also, some that have said they have therapy dogs own intact males who IMO if a REAL therapy dog should be neutered for various reasons. When you post pics and claim to own a therapy dog you can see the dingle dangles on your boy dogs ;) but when trained by a therapy dog facility would be fixed before it goes to it's forever home. I read in another thread some where that alot of people claim to have a therapy pit and really don't because the dog has never been legally "certified". I mean I could throw a vest like harness on my dog and get it embroided with "therapy dog" and say my dog is one to :roll: it's really as simple as that. Opinions? :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pit bulls as therapy dogs? I'm not surprised at all. Pit Bulls used to be called nanny dogs way back when. Helen Keller had a trusty pitbull =)

But Pitbulls do qualify. They have VERY HIGH pain tolerance and take BS from little children poking their eyes and pulling their ears.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Also, don't these dogs have to be trained by a properly licensed and accredited facility for the first 18 months of there lives, going everywhere with a volunteer, being overly socialized and brought into all different types of enviroments?
Hector, one of Michael Vick's fighting dogs is a therapy dog.

Hector the Pit Bull

This link, I cannot get to play...So not sure on it except it's a video about him.
Hector the Pit Bull Therapy Dog | IndyStyle.tv

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Im assuming there are different levels in tharapy dogs,Im working with an organization to get luna involved in therapy work at the elderly facilities. They have a shortage right now for this work everyone doing the course wants towork with kids ,I would rather work with the elderly they are usually alot more gentle with them. Luna is am bully sodont know if she would count when you talk about apbt's but there are a few in my area whoworkwith apbt's and bullys. I dont think this is a certified tharapy work though the course we have to do is luna has to pass her basic obedience with them and show that she is fine and no aggression with strange people handling her and no jumping on anyone. After her obedience is passed she has to pass the temperment testing they do. if she passes all those then there is a 2 hour test the handles {myself} will have to take. The test was last month but because I was busy with a family issue I wasnt able to make it and will have to do the onein 4 months now.
they dont require the dog to be fixed in this case , but there are many types of therapy dogs im sure the ones where they go to someones home to be a live in therapy dog and assist on a daily basis they would be required to b fixed wouldnt they?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To Angie ^^ I meant to quote you.........I know what they were called back in the day and I know what this breed is capable of. They are one of the most versatile breed of dogs around and they have great temperaments. I'm not knocking that. What I am saying is that it can't be easy to bring a pit in a mall, restaurant, hair salon etc. if the dog is trained for a purpose of needing to go everywhere with it's owner. And the thing that gets me is a couple people on here claim they have service dogs and they aren't even fixed. So unless they were intially just a pet and then they decided to train there dog to do a few tasks for them then legally they are not a real service dog.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
So unless they were intially just a pet and then they decided to train there dog to do a few tasks for them then legally they are not a real service dog.
Well, I know people who have service dogs because they have anxiety. If they go out alone they'll have a panic attack. But with their dog, they're fine.

All the dog needed was to be well mannered with basic training.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im assuming there are different levels in tharapy dogs,Im working with an organization to get luna involved in therapy work at the elderly facilities. They have a shortage right now for this work everyone doing the course wants towork with kids ,I would rather work with the elderly they are usually alot more gentle with them. Luna is am bully sodont know if she would count when you talk about apbt's but there are a few in my area whoworkwith apbt's and bullys. I dont think this is a certified tharapy work though the course we have to do is luna has to pass her basic obedience with them and show that she is fine and no aggression with strange people handling her and no jumping on anyone. After her obedience is passed she has to pass the temperment testing they do. if she passes all those then there is a 2 hour test the handles {myself} will have to take. The test was last month but because I was busy with a family issue I wasnt able to make it and will have to do the onein 4 months now.
they dont require the dog to be fixed in this case , but there are many types of therapy dogs im sure the ones where they go to someones home to be a live in therapy dog and assist on a daily basis they would be required to b fixed wouldnt they?
Maybe I should of used the term "service" dog instead. Meaning the dogs that are bred and trained for the purpose of helping someone who is handicapped or has some other disability. I know folks with therapy dogs that are also show dogs so no, they aren't fixed. They go to old folks homes and schools but they don't live in a home 24/7 as an assistant to a needy owner. The dogs who's owners are handicap is what I'm referring to. The other dogs that visit schools and old folks homes I believe need to get there CGC or pass a canine good citizen test to do therapy work.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ahh yes service dogs I would also think they would be fixed? are they not?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Well I know someone who has in the past bred her dogs for service dogs, particularly diabetes detection dogs. She disliked how the puppies came out (nervous), which I think is from how she trains. I was young and dumb and I used some of her techniques, my connection with my dog decreased a lot from using her way of training..But glad to say, we're back and better than ever thanks to experiences I've had.

Anyhow, she ended up going to shelters to get dogs. She got one from the shelter I volunteer at about a year ago...I saw the dog a few months ago, he went from outgoing and confident to nervous and flighty.

I don't think the dogs need to be fixed, unless the owner is irresponsible. That's my personal preference.

It's funny, she kept calling her dogs American Labs. xD

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
According to the ADA (american's with disability act) Any dog, of any size or breed can be a service dog. They do not require that they dog is certified either. Only that the dog has special training to help the persons disability. If someone is selling service dog certifications, it is a scam. A simple doctors note is all that is needed. It isn't even a law that the dog wear a vest, but most do to avoid hassle of store employee's. There are also "emotional support animals" who require no training at all, just as long as they help the person with their condition such as anxiety or depression. I have gotten a doctors note in the past for my dog Helena for my anxiety condition, as my emotional support animal. This basically protects us from being turned down from housing, but it does not permit me to take her places.

A therapy dog on the other hand, one who cheers up the elderly and hospital patients does require a certificate.

Here is a story of a woman with a pit bull as a service dog who was kicked out of wal mart... wal mart got in a lot of trouble for this from what I remember.
WalMart denies entrance to Pitbull service dog

I also think, but am not completely sure, but if a pit bull is a service dog in a city with BSL, the owner must be allowed to keep the dog.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I have 5 therapy dogs and therapy dogs are dogs who go to hospitals or nursing homes and visit. Service dogs are dogs who serve a function to a person with a disability or medical problem. Siren is a Service dog for me, she is a medical alert dog. I suffer from migraines and occasionally they get so bad I lose eye site because the blood vessels in the back of the eye constrict cutting off blood flow. I almost rolled my truck when this happened and I was on the hwy. Siren can sense the chemical changes that happen before a migraine and she alerts me so I can take some meds and not drive. I have had a few dozen dogs in the past 15 years and Tasha and Siren are the only ones that have picked up and altered to my migraines. They have dogs for blood pressure, blood sugar, seizures, and many other medial conditions so they are no longer for those with just physical issues. There are some mental issues that need dogs but that is a slippery slope. What you see is the chihuahua in a purse and a vest that says service dog. That drives me nuts because it is just an excuse to bring your dog everywhere. Unfortunately service dogs have no regulations and no federal guidelines so anyone could say they have a service dog.
Some service dogs are trained from puppies to serve and go through years of training and those are specialized dogs, but there is also a way to have your own dog is trained properly serve you. I train service dogs as part of my business and they do have to pass certain tests before they are ready but again it is not regulated and that is bad.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Lisa, when I was a teen I worked at a grocery store. A lady came in with a little mixed breed dog in her purse. This was before I knew much about service dogs. I told her that we didn't allow dogs in the store. She told me that he was her service dog. I said oh um ok... for what? lol We were never told anything about service dog protocol at the store... anyway she told me that it was her HEARING DOG. Really? Because... she seemed to hear me just fine! I guess the dog translated the message to her brain... I don't remember her wearing a hearing aid or anything! lol

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 5 therapy dogs and therapy dogs are dogs who go to hospitals or nursing homes and visit. Service dogs are dogs who serve a function to a person with a disability or medical problem. Siren is a Service dog for me, she is a medical alert dog. I suffer from migraines and occasionally they get so bad I lose eye site because the blood vessels in the back of the eye constrict cutting off blood flow. I almost rolled my truck when this happened and I was on the hwy. Siren can sense the chemical changes that happen before a migraine and she alerts me so I can take some meds and not drive. I have had a few dozen dogs in the past 15 years and Tasha and Siren are the only ones that have picked up and altered to my migraines. They have dogs for blood pressure, blood sugar, seizures, and many other medial conditions so they are no longer for those with just physical issues. There are some mental issues that need dogs but that is a slippery slope. What you see is the chihuahua in a purse and a vest that says service dog. That drives me nuts because it is just an excuse to bring your dog everywhere. Unfortunately service dogs have no regulations and no federal guidelines so anyone could say they have a service dog. Some service dogs are trained from puppies to serve and go through years of training and those are specialized dogs, but there is also a way to have your own dog is trained properly serve you. I train service dogs as part of my business and they do have to pass certain tests before they are ready but again it is not regulated and that is bad.
Thanks PK! I was curious if anyone could just say they had a service dog and you gave me the answer I was looking for. That really is bad that people can get away with that. I know of a place here in Massachusetts that trains and breeds service dogs....mostly labs. I wish I could remember the name of it. I had a neighbor that used to volunteer and take a pup from the organization and raise it for the first 18 months of it's life socializing and training it to serve its purpose for the blind and other disabilities. She enjoyed doing it. All these dogs were certified and could go anywhere with there owners. This place was a state certified training organization. I was under the impression that those are the only dogs who can go to all diffferent places with there masters because they serve a medical purpose to them. Usually you see some sort of badge on the animals vest when I come across them. It's almost like a license ID stating that the dog is a legit service dog. Like I said, anyone can get a vest that says "service dog" and pass it off as such.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Anyone can get a ID badge for a dog too. I do not take Siren everywhere as I do not feel I need her all the time but when I have weeks were my migraines get bad I always take her. It is not worth the risk of rolling my truck with my baby in it. I just wished those that claim to have Service dogs but do not need them would not lie about it. I wish there were a national standardized tests for service dogs. There are guidelines that we follow but nothing federal required.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Just this week a service dog was denied on a bus in DC. The women with the dog was almost hit when the driver tried to pull away from the curb, she blocked its was and tried to call the police to report the driver. Another link I read the bus system responded saying its a gray area since Pit Bulls are banned in DC, but yet Service dogs are not allowed to be discriminated against. To me, thats not a gray area. If its a service dog, its a service dog, no matter the breed. That would be secondary, especially the test they must pass to be deemed one.

Since the owner could not produce papers stating they were a service dog, she was denied. I think I would carry papers if I had a service dog, but maybe the women forgot them that day. Bad all around IMO. Stupid Metrobus driver!

I though GCC was the first step in getting your dog to be qualified as a service dog. IDK though, I stopped looking when I realized Mel would fail when I left the room, he would totally look for me....

Metrobus Halted When Woman Tried To Board With Service Pit Bull: DCist
Unsuck DC Metro: Pitbull, Bus Standoff

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I didn't know pit bulls were banned in DC.... That makes me sad. It is a felony to impersonate a service dog though!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Members
I have a friend in South Carolina that has a program to help US VETS with the use of Pitbulls.The program is up and running,and he has the suppert of the company commander.
Therapy dogs have all kind's of ways to help people.Things that most of us take for granted and easy,can for many people be a task of huge porportions.But with the help-some times just having a dog at your side-can be the difference between living a full life,or one with no hope for the future.
I would love to see so many more organisations implement the Bullys for their programs.This will help the people,and also to educate the public that the Pitbulls are just like any other dog.
For the people on here who are active in this-Thank you.
Henry

·
Registered
600 Posts
They are the perfect breed for therapy with people infact you would think they were designed for it. Generaly a rock solid temp, they dont feel pain and they feel plenty of love, and compared to other breeds they have the ability to simply look at a person and that person know they mean no harm even if they have no experience with the breed.
People feel safer with them around and a good pitbull can calm a child better than any one else with a simple lean of the body lol.
Every family apbt is a therapy dog if you ask me and my own have taken the role thousands of times for me.

When i am a bit older and have more time i would love to have a couple as a "retirement hobbie" and spread the love.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Generaly a rock solid temp, they dont feel pain and they feel plenty of love, .
Please tell me you do not believe that? Yes they feel pain but have a high tolerance for pain there is a big difference. You heard ppl who have no clue about the breed say they feel no pain..... Maybe you just had a slip of the keyboard....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts