Go Pitbull Forums banner

pitbull work outs

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Blossom01 
#1 ·
For the past week ive been working with my pit he's almost 2yr old now I'm wanting to muscle him up. I just would like to kno good workouts and how often to do them or if ok to do it everyday
My workouts I let him pull on a rope tied from tree he not fully hainging yet don't like his feet not touching but does some I think it's just because he dont get a good grip
Then I play fetch with wright on his collar only 4 lb atm what's a good weight to add to his collar and I play tug a war

#2 ·
You don't have to add weight to his collar, but the rope and tug would be good. Look up spring poles here in the search box for some good ideas. Just always keep his feet on the ground...flirt pole is good too, but lots of hand walking will condition him best

#3 ·
Like Redog said, no need to add weight to the collar as this can cause muscular and possibly nerve damage to the neck area.

Spring poles, flirt poles and tug of war are good, as well as mill work (running on a treadmill or carpet mill), hand walking, playing fetch, biking and really anything that gets them up and moving. Yes, it's okay to work them everyday, but like with humans, you should alternate days, focusing on a different work out every day. My dogs are lazy, so we don't do much and I can't really give the exact advice, but perhaps someone more versed in condition can pitch in here and give you a better idea.

Best of luck in your endeavors and please keep us posted on your progress. There are several threads, if you search, where people have kept an ongoing thread of their dog's progress during conditioning from start to finish. There are also threads covering old dog men's "keep" or feeding and conditioning routines, from start to finish over a 6-8 week period.

#4 ·
I will echo what the others say. No neck weights!

It physiologically doesn't make any sense. A weight around the neck makes it difficult for the dog to use the rest of his body in the way it was intended. The neck is used for a lot more than attaching the head to the body.

Pass it on, please; because a lot of people think it's the thing to do to "bulk up" a dog!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.