Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to see what other people's thoughts are on the subject. I'd also like to hear any personal experiences as well, and please post actually information that is factual or at least real from any personal experiences. So nay information really on the subject is appreciated, due to the fact it could make my decision in the long run if I do take my Pit bull to a doggy park. :]

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html
Id read through that.
Its a HORRIBLE decission to take this breed to the dog park in my opinion not only for the aggression issues { not always our dog but other dogs who cant play nice and have stupid owners who just stand there } If some other dog starts something with our dogs you cant expect them to not fight, and when Our dogs win who do you think will be blamed? the lab or the "pit bull" . staying away from the dog park isnt saying our breed cant play nice its saying as an owner im responsible enough to not put my dog in that situation where people can look negatively on them. Not to mention all the health reasons to stay away. You would be surprised how many dont vaccinate or worm there dogs properly . There are better options to play , find an empty tennis court or lacross box and let them run in there and play fetch with you. Or do a play with someone you know and know there dog well and can supervise the entire time to break up any tense moments. They dont need doggy friends and do very well with adequate interaction with you and other people.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html
Id read through that.
Its a HORRIBLE decission to take this breed to the dog park in my opinion not only for the aggression issues { not always our dog but other dogs who cant play nice and have stupid owners who just stand there } If some other dog starts something with our dogs you cant expect them to not fight, and when Our dogs win who do you think will be blamed? the lab or the "pit bull" . staying away from the dog park isnt saying our breed cant play nice its saying as an owner im responsible enough to not put my dog in that situation where people can look negatively on them. Not to mention all the health reasons to stay away. You would be surprised how many dont vaccinate or worm there dogs properly . There are better options to play , find an empty tennis court or lacross box and let them run in there and play fetch with you. Or do a play with someone you know and know there dog well and can supervise the entire time to break up any tense moments. They dont need doggy friends and do very well with adequate interaction with you and other people.
Well the thread you posted as well as your post were very helpful. I did understand their dog aggression and therefore that was what prompted my first red flag on taking her to a dog park. The points you make about a fight breaking out are very valid, and I would hate for anything as I am sure any animal owner would be if their dog was harmed. I honestly did not think about the other options of finding places to play with her, which I will keep those few places you mentioned in mind. Thanks!​

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Way better places to go. Besides disease why go to a dog park where your dog might be put into a situation that you have no control over, with other dog owners you do not even know. Most reputable rescues associated with this breed do not advocate for dog parks, or explain the inherent dangers that are associated with taking this breed there. I have no personal experience because I have listened to others and their stories. If your dog can get into a drop down fight with a dog it knows, what are the changes it will NOT with one it doesn't know?

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/40966-day-park-poem-written-dog-park-lovers.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/do-yourself/4269-so-your-thinking-about-dog-park.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way better places to go. Besides disease why go to a dog park where your dog might be put into a situation that you have no control over, with other dog owners you do not even know. Most reputable rescues associated with this breed do not advocate for dog parks, or explain the inherent dangers that are associated with taking this breed there. I have no personal experience because I have listened to others and their stories. If your dog can get into a drop down fight with a dog it knows, what are the changes it will NOT with on it doesn't know?

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/40966-day-park-poem-written-dog-park-lovers.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/do-yourself/4269-so-your-thinking-about-dog-park.html
I agree with the points you have made. Thank you for the links also!

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Most responsible owners and/or advocates of the breed detest the idea of taking one of our dogs to a dog park. I personally hate dog parks, therefore, I've never been. I know from experience, that regardless of the breed or breeds I own, other people are not as responsible as myself. In fact, I encounter irresponsibility on a daily basis, at dog-friendly stores, regular parks, and even the vet's office. You have to be vigilant and proactive as an owner of this breed, and always be on your toes. I don't mean to preach, but it's better to educate than to let things of this nature go unspoken and unheard.

As a newly joined member of the forum, I recommend that you go to the blue bar at the top of the page, and click on search, and search for any topics that you have questions to, and then if you can't find the answers, please post and we'll be more than happy to help in any way we can.

Welcome to the pack, by the way, and I hope you enjoy your stay on our yard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most responsible owners and/or advocates of the breed detest the idea of taking one of our dogs to a dog park. I personally hate dog parks, therefore, I've never been. I know from experience, that regardless of the breed or breeds I own, other people are not as responsible as myself. In fact, I encounter irresponsibility on a daily basis, at dog-friendly stores, regular parks, and even the vet's office. You have to be vigilant and proactive as an owner of this breed, and always be on your toes. I don't mean to preach, but it's better to educate than to let things of this nature go unspoken and unheard.

As a newly joined member of the forum, I recommend that you go to the blue bar at the top of the page, and click on search, and search for any topics that you have questions to, and then if you can't find the answers, please post and we'll be more than happy to help in any way we can.

Welcome to the pack, by the way, and I hope you enjoy your stay on our yard!
Thank you for the welcoming, and already I am learning quite a bit and also just picking up on tricks to help with her training. I also understand the preaching because hopefully other owners will understand the extent it does take when training this breed. I have always loved Pits, and that is why I did take on the challenge of owning one which I can honestly say I wouldn't trade her in for any other. :] Though I have always met incompetent and arrogant people, so therefore they probably own dogs and that is probably relayed right into training. I can honestly say I am definitely not taking her to any dog parks, but I am open to other ideas of fun places to take dogs to play and what not. :]

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
I have a handful of friends who have dogs that Ecko associates well with, and even plays with. We set up "play dates" for the dogs and game nights for ourselves. We all have fenced in yards so we take turn going here or there. It's a controlled environment with responsible dog owners monitoring the play. We haven't had a problem.
Before I joined the forum I took Ecko to dog parks. We stopped when he latched on to a Newfie that was harrassing a puppy. Luckily she was hairy and Ecko never hit skin. That was his last trip to the dog park.
When we went camping I would play fetch with him in the tennis court off leash. Maybe you could find somewhere similar to take your pup for off leash fun.

Welcome to GP. :)

Would love to see pics of your pup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a handful of friends who have dogs that Ecko associates well with, and even plays with. We set up "play dates" for the dogs and game nights for ourselves. We all have fenced in yards so we take turn going here or there. It's a controlled environment with responsible dog owners monitoring the play. We haven't had a problem.
Before I joined the forum I took Ecko to dog parks. We stopped when he latched on to a Newfie that was harrassing a puppy. Luckily she was hairy and Ecko never hit skin. That was his last trip to the dog park.
When we went camping I would play fetch with him in the tennis court off leash. Maybe you could find somewhere similar to take your pup for off leash fun.

Welcome to GP. :)

Would love to see pics of your pup.
That is a really good idea, at the moment I am staying on 6 acres of fenced in land. She loves running all over it! Maybe we can find some of our friends that have dogs who they would like to socialize as well and have play days similar to yours. :] Thanks! I like the info. Here she is: Chevy is her name. :]
This was her when I first got her at about 4 weeks.

This is her now, I am sure she is about 8 months now.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
She is beautiful!! I love her face and that oh so innocent half smile in that last pic is cute and not fooling anyone. LOL!

With a property that large you shouldn't have any problems finding people for play dates.

You could also make a flirt pole and run her energy out yourself. I made one for Ecko out of PVC pipe leftover from when I replaced my AC and a length of twine. Ecko loves Pig Ears so I use those as a lure, plus he gets a nice reward when we go inside.

Don't be upset if your dog doesn't find anyone that she gets along with. Some never do. They don't really NEED doggy friends. They are perfectly happy playing with just us. Ecko wants to eat WAY more dogs then he wants to be friendly with. Just don't be disappointed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is beautiful!! I love her face and that oh so innocent half smile in that last pic is cute and not fooling anyone. LOL!

With a property that large you shouldn't have any problems finding people for play dates.

You could also make a flirt pole and run her energy out yourself. I made one for Ecko out of PVC pipe leftover from when I replaced my AC and a length of twine. Ecko loves Pig Ears so I use those as a lure, plus he gets a nice reward when we go inside.

Don't be upset if your dog doesn't find anyone that she gets along with. Some never do. They don't really NEED doggy friends. They are perfectly happy playing with just us. Ecko wants to eat WAY more dogs then he wants to be friendly with. Just don't be disappointed.
Oh I know! She is a little pistol! :] But thank you, she is just stunning the rest of the litter was all blues. She actually gets along well with the golden retriever/chow/wolf mix that is about 12. She also gets along with the neighbors dogs which she plays with some times. They have one full black lab, and one black lab/great dane cross. The dog that she lives with is a female, the lab/dane cross is a females as well and the lab is actually the first male she has come in contact with. She is naturally submissive toward the older dogs, but with the young lab male she is actually dominant over. lol But yes I understand that not every dog will be a match with her, but I see that she seems to be very friendly toward other dogs but as always things can alter in any given situation. Oh and I play fetch, even though the coming back part doesn't always work. Chevy does love to chase you, and have her be chased by you. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts