Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be a mandatory for a newbie to read!! :roll:

Maryland’s high court might have revised its ruling on pit bulls to apply only to purebreds, but experts and advocates say such a dog doesn’t exist.

“Unfortunately, they don’t realize that there is no such thing as a purebred pit bull,” said Susan Reaver, president and founder of Pits and Rotts for Life Rescue Inc. in Randallstown

The Maryland Court of Appeals on Aug. 21 ordered that all references to mixed and cross-bred pit bulls be removed from its controversial April opinion in Tracey v. Solesky.

The original decision declared the breed and mixes of the breed inherently dangerous and held landlords strictly liable for damages should a pit bull or pit bull-mix attack.

But experts say most dogs commonly referred to as a pit bull are either a mix of other breeds or are pure-bred of a breed often misidentified as a pit bull.

“People say you know a pit bull when you see one, but do you really?” asked Lisa Peterson, spokeswoman for the American Kennel Club, which tracks pedigrees of dogs back to 1884.

Rather than a specific breed, pit bull is more of a generic term to describe a group of dogs with similar characteristics — much as are “hound” and “terrier” — and encompasses both mixes and pure-bred dogs, Peterson said.

The term pit bull is sometimes used to identify the American pit bull terrier, a breed recognized by the United Kennel Club but not the American Kennel Club, said Erin Sullivan, education director for Pit Bull Rescue Central and a landlord in Maryland.

But it also is often applied to pure-bred dogs, including American Staffordshire terriers, dogo argentino and Staffordshire bull terrier and even boxers, Reaver said. She described times she has been called to rescue a dog believed to be a pit bull that turned out to be something else.

Identifying dogs as pit bulls is at best imprecise, Sullivan said.

“It’s almost impossible to tell by visual identification what a dog is, so you are just guessing,” she said.

DNA tests can identify markers for certain breeds in mixed-breed dogs.

Clubs such as the AKC and UKC can identify a dog by its pedigree. But to be registered, a dog’s sire and bitch also must have been registered with the club,

Further complicating the situation in Maryland is a lack of definition of a pit bull in the court’s ruling, said Lesa Hoover, attorney and vice president of government affairs for Maryland for the Apartment and Office Building Association of Metropolitan Washington.

“There is not a definition of pit bull, you don’t know what the dog is because there is no such thing as a pit bull,” Hoover said. “So changing that part by taking out the ‘mixes’ didn’t change the ruling all that much.”

With no such thing as a pure-bred pit bull, and no definition in the common law, Peterson said the problem falls to whomever becomes the breed police, to determine what is a pit bull and how to describe it.

Opponents say the solution is to treat dangerous dogs alike, regardless of breed.

What is a pit bull?

Almost any dog can be labeled as a pit bull. The term "pit bull" encompasses many breeds and mixes, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Pit bulls have a rich history as family dogs in America. American Pit Bull Terriers were first developed to combine the drive of a terrier with the strength and athleticism of a bulldog. These "bull and terrier" dogs were the predecessors to modern pit bulls. Today, there is a huge range of breed mixes that are commonly identified as "bully breeds" or "pit bull-type dogs." Many dogs entering shelters with unknown backgrounds are identified as "pit bull type dogs" and can be a mix of these breeds, as well as a variety of other types such as bulldog or mastiff breeds. There is no such thing as a "pure bred" pit bull. DNA analysis shows that there are hundreds of breed mixes that are commonly identified as pit bulls.

Today, most pit bulls are everyday family dogs. Many also serve as therapy dogs, visiting hospitals, classrooms, and nursing homes to provide love and comfort.

What do they look like?

Pit bulls come in all shapes and sizes. They can be black, white, tan, brown, or reddish-brown; they can have patches or brindle "stripes."

Some dogs have the bulging muscles and blocky head many associate with pit bulls, while others, are much slimmer and more petite. Some, are small enough to pick up. Others, weigh almost 100 pounds, and of course, they believe they are lap dogs!

Because dogs can vary so much in appearance, it's impossible to identify a dog as a pit bull simply by looking at it. Most shelters select breed labels for their dogs as a standard practice, but a dog's background can never be known for sure.

What do they act like?

The most important thing to know about pit bulls? They're just regular dogs. While pit bulls are known to be fun-loving, energetic, and social, they all have unique personalities and should be judged as individuals.

Because their lineage can vary so widely, it is impossible to make broad statements about the "pit bull temperament." A dog is just a dog, regardless of whether it's been labeled as a "pit bull," and all dogs are individuals. The National Canine Research Council offers more information on why it is impossible it is to predict a dog's behavior and genetics solely based on appearance.

Though few shelter pit bulls can be directly traced to the classic American Pit Bull Terrier, a standard temperament has been identified for this breed that defies common stereotypes. The United Kennel Club describes the American Pit Bull Terrier as follows:

"The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children."

The United Kennel Club goes on to state, "The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed."

A pit bull's behavior, like that of any dog, is a reflection of the humans who manage it. When loved, cared for, and set up for success, they make ideal family companions.

Reactions: absea

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I think it is great, but what bothers me is sooo many breeds have nick names why cant the pit bull have a nickname? Why are THEY the only breed people try and say means its a type of dogs and not a nickname like Dobie, Lab, Chow, Chi etc. Why discriminate against the pit bull saying it doesn't exists because its easier than trying to explain multiple breeds and mixes and mutts get classified AS a BREED pit bull instead of what they are, a dog. Its a huge debate in my own head. No the way most view the pit bull it doesn't exist, but in the real truth a pit bull is and only should be used when referring to the breed American pit Bull Terrier.

I think APBT earned the right to be called a pit bull. Just like a lab and collie earned their nicknames. But again, I agree with this post in the way its meaning. I just wish more could grasp a type and a breed are NOT the same thing, and there is only one APBT aka the pit bull.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
So which is it? Because you hear " there's only one pit bull, the American Pit Bull Terrier" and you hear "there's no such thing as a pit bull". So where does the truth lie? It all depends on which enthusiast you talk to.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is great, but what bothers me is sooo many breeds have nick names why cant the pit bull have a nickname? Why are THEY the only breed people try and say means its a type of dogs and not a nickname like Dobie, Lab, Chow, Chi etc. Why discriminate against the pit bull saying it doesn't exists because its easier than trying to explain multiple breeds and mixes and mutts get classified AS a BREED pit bull instead of what they are, a dog. Its a huge debate in my own head. No the way most view the pit bull it doesn't exist, but in the real truth a pit bull is and only should be used when referring to the breed American pit Bull Terrier.

I think APBT earned the right to be called a pit bull. Just like a lab and collie earned their nicknames. But again, I agree with this post in the way its meaning. I just wish more could grasp a type and a breed are NOT the same thing, and there is only one APBT aka the pit bull.
Yes, the only "pitbull" is the APBT, AMES I do agree.. but its not the world we live in... the only point to the thread was saying all the mixes and rest that may look the part, are in fact not,,,

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So which is it? Because you hear " there's only one pit bull, the American Pit Bull Terrier" and you hear "there's no such thing as a pit bull". So where does the truth lie? It all depends on which enthusiast you talk to.
I see your point Catch.. confusing way to word it... We are all guilty of using the slang term.. Few of us know its true meaning and I guess that was the idea here...:pupruns:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Yup. An example from my narrow part of the world is with catch dogs. Pretty much everybody with a smaller framed colored catch dog calls it a pit. And mostly they are but very few are registered with anybody or have a pedigree other than what's in somebody's sock drawer or kitchen cabinet. I do the same thing, its just the jargon of the trade.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
agreed, thats what makes it super hard. And everyone has an opinion on it.

Jeep I do totally get the reason for the post, and I agree with it like I said. It totally confusing especially because the pit bull IS a breed just not how the media and society use the word. How much energy is spent wasted on trying to convince people of that is pointless when the bigger fight is even if they ARE and APBT they are still not automatically killing monsters.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
No issues (not to be rude or offensive but im well versed with severely handicapped). Hell half my post look like a 2nd grader typed them from speeding through. Just pointing it out. Its the Internet and its relaxed I just happened to see it and pointed it out. Pretty dickish on my part I apologize.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
i just call them dogs, bulldogs, or hounds,
that way whoever i'm talkin to, knows what i'm talkin about.

if its a dogman, they know already, if its a civilian, then they dont need to know

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Sire and bitch? How 'bout sire and dam?

That's all I got out of it.

My bitch is reg. as an APBT twice over, so I'm still screwed. Good thing I'm in DE.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts