Go Pitbull Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
822 Posts
You're supposed to list the coat color at birth
Actually that isn't true. Most breeders do not mark colors and send in papers right when the pups are born. One because the first two weeks time are critical and some pups don't make it and also color often changes and for proper identification and showing/working sake they should be listed correctly or as close to what the color is as possible so that there is no question about the dog's papers IMO.

I've never seen a blue dog turn black LOL but anything is possible I guess. In my experience most dogs' coats if they change lighten up not get darker
Noses and eyes darken and develop pigment and the white markings often get smaller and tiny white markings may even disappear and often pigment spots show up on white ot light colored areas

· Registered
207 Posts
Patch O' Pits said:
Actually that isn't true. Most breeders do not mark colors and send in papers right when the pups are born. One because the first two weeks time are critical and some pups don't make it and also color often changes and for proper identification and showing/working sake they should be listed correctly or as close to what the color is as possible so that there is no question about the dog's papers IMO.

I've never seen a blue dog turn black LOL but anything is possible I guess. In my experience most dogs' coats if they change lighten up not get darker
Noses and eyes darken and develop pigment and the white markings often get smaller and tiny white markings may even disappear and often pigment spots show up on white ot light colored areas
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense, which registry are you speaking of? It clearly states on the ADBA litter registration paperwork that incomplete forms will be returned and not processed. The color must be listed.

· Registered
822 Posts
drsven said:
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense, which registry are you speaking of? It clearly states on the ADBA litter registration paperwork that incomplete forms will be returned and not processed. The color must be listed.
You didn't read it properly I said "they don't mark off color and send the papers in right away". Of course they mark the color off before sending in papers they just do not fill in and send in papers right away at birth as you stated in your post. Most hold off on doing anything with the papers for at least the first couple of weeks maybe my wording of it was hard to understand

Also had to add anoither thing on looking at puppy colors many brindle pups don't have their brindling or full at least full brindling at first eitther which adds to also why papers are not filled out and sent right away

Of course if the breeder really knows the dogs and what they throw it may be done sooner

That goes for ADBA and UKC

· Registered
207 Posts
Patch O' Pits said:
You didn't read it properly I said "they don't mark off color and send the papers in right away". Of course they mark the color off before sending in papers they just do not fill in and send in papers right away at birth as you stated in your post. Most hold off on doing anything with the papers for at least the first couple of weeks maybe my wording of it was hard to understand

Also had to add anoither thing on looking at puppy colors many brindle pups don't have their brindling or full at least full brindling at first eitther which adds to also why papers are not filled out and sent right away

Of course if the breeder really knows the dogs and what they throw it may be done sooner

That goes for ADBA and UKC
I think it was the wording. Yes, I waited over a week before sending in the paperwork myself for a few of reasons:

1. Some pups don't make it.

2. I have the pups checked by a vet for positive gender identification and for noticeable birth defects (momma gets a check too).

3. Signature(s) from the sire's owner. I wait until the owner of the sire has seen the litter and counts the total number of pups before asking for a signature. Keeps things honest and it's really the right thing to do.

I agree especially with blue pups, brindle stripes can take weeks to appear.

· Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,889 Posts
drsven said:
I think she's saying that you should wait to send the litter registration for a couple of weeks to see if the coat colors change

· Registered
282 Posts
Samurai is BEAUTIFUL!!! Looks lonely though, needs a girlfriend. Get down to San Diego much? Or am I even allowed to ask that... well still, did you get him thru a kennel ? breed him yourself? Pm me.
;)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts