Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help with this,
We have a adorable little girl that will be 8 weeks tomorrow.
We have had her for a week.
She play bites and chews alot
I tell her no and put a chew toy in her mouth.
Tonight i was playing with her and she kept play chewing on my hands, i moved them maybe about 9 or 10 times, the last time a gave her a very very lite smack on the nose all while saying no, this went on for back to back, right away 5 or so times. The last time i said no and gave the very light smack on the nose, she snarled at me but stopped.
Damn it, this breaks my heart.
I dont want her to ever think she can bite on flesh, but am i doing it wrong.
That really sucked, and i hated it.
She is sleeping on my lap right now, she is my buddy.
I just want to do what it right for her
Thank you

·
Registered
116 Posts
No matter how frustrating, DON'T hit your dog. She's a puppy, doing what puppies do. If you've had her for a week and she's only 8 wks old, she was taken away from her litter mates/mother too soon. Puppies learn bite inhibition from their siblings/parent, so now you have to step in. Once she's older, I would enroll her in a puppy class that allows supervised play so she can learn from other puppies. If you know someone with a trustworthy older dog who is good with puppies, you can try to arrange a few play dates (carefully supervised). An older dog can teach a puppy manners better than any human.

You were on the right track with substituting a chew toy. What is the chew toy? Have you tried a plush squeaky toy that's more inviting for puppy to bite/chew/shake? Puppies have the attention span of a gnat, so don't expect puppy to 'get' it right away. It's going to take lots of repetition, in different areas (dogs don't generalize well, so learning not to bite in the living room will probably not transfer to not biting outside, you have to practice everywhere). Patience really is a virtue with puppies/dogs.

You can also try calmly getting up and leaving the puppy alone for a short time (less than a minute - don't forget the gnat attention span). Keep doing it, and eventually puppy will learn bite = no attention.

There are many good articles on bite inhibition (NOT bite prohibition), look them up. I posted one in the Obedience Training thread. Good luck with your little girl!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks,
I hope i didnt explain myself wrong I would NEVER hit out of frustration, not a dog or puppy. People, not so much some ask for it, can be more of a threat than a dog and understand what they are doing.
ANYWAY
...i will not smack at her again. I HATED smacking at her.
It seemed to be very counter productive also.
We got her a fluffy squeak toy that she seems to love more than all the teething type toys. We will stick with that.

I did laugh last night she was on my lap, and she kept rubbing her face on mine, every once in a while she would open her mouth a little and look up at me. I would look at her and she would just go back to rubbing on my face. It was cute, i swear she knew what she was doing and was giving me a hard time.
I adore her haha
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Next time she bites hold her mouth shut for about a second and tell her no. This trick works great and puppies need disciplined just like toddlers do. It's not out of anger,or rage. It's creating a well disciplined dog. America these days

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
She is not being aggressive, she is teething and being a puppy!! She doesn't know your hands from a blanket from a chew toy. Do NOT hit your dog, or it will become fearful of human handling and become aggressive, and that's the least that you want. My 12 week old used to chew on hands, and I would make a noise and walk out of the room. When they chew on their littermates, the puppies make a noise and move away, so the offender knows he won't get any play time if he bites. Mine is now 8 mo old, doesn't chew on hands, and is completely not aggressive. Yeah, smacking won't make him learn not to bite, it will make him learn that you hurt him and he doesn't want you near him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts