Go Pitbull Forums banner

What does your dog bite most ofter when play fighting?

• The Tail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Neck

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • The Legs

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • The Body

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The head

Votes: 1 8.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what do they bite most often when play fighting with other dogs?

Mine mostly goes after the legs, though I think my JRT had a lot to do with that, as its one of his moves :p

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
My dogs would rather kill one another then play.
:goodpost: i think play fighting can go south real fast with these dogs if they dont already hate each other....

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Mine play well together, though I try to maintain some control so that it doesn't get out of hand. My GSD always goes after the back of my APBT's neck (he scruffs her like a pup) , and the APBT goes after the GSD's legs. I think it's because when he's got her by the back of the neck, that's the easiest thing to reach.
If they get overly excited though, I separate them until they calm down. It never gets bad, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
RIght now Odie gets alongw tih everyone. But when play fighting, I ALWAYS supervise and he goes straight for the legs or the chest. These dogs were not meant to have playmates. At an early age is ok, but a fight is always inevitable.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
mine like to go for legs or the face it seems , but we dont allow this much as it does turn bad fast.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Dakota(non APBT) goes for the neck when he plays with the small handful of dogs he met as a pup. (he knew before the DA rose up)

Alice, I couldn't tell you. She's very DA, although we've made huge improvements already. I'd imagine she'd go for whatever she could grab.

My friend's APBT whom didn't become dog aggressive after maturing goes for the legs. She's a dork, she likes to push herself under the other dog, bite their leg and flip them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think if a dog goes for the neck more, it shows a more vicious dog?

What do apbt go for normally as well?

My JRT use to play with our neighbors Alsatian mix, and the Alsatian would 99% of the time go for the neck

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Well "real" APBTs do not "play fight" they would rather kill the other dog vs play...Or at very least die trying. Of course cur's are a different story but trying to make that as simple as possible.

Mine do not play, i am fortunate that i can do short periods of time with training together, which has taken quite a bit of work and effort on my behalf with training to even get them to do that.

Even "Pet Bulls", curs, Ambullies etc its quite risky to allow to play together. A little common sense and the knowledge to break up a fight goes along way but as others have already mentioned, can get ugly fast. Some that are more knowledgable take that risk however are fully aware and prepared for what can happen. Those that aren't...Well it usually ends in a not so happy ending..Maybe not to the point of losing a dog but either way..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been a puppy, I dont mind the play fighting when im around them. Though I do agree that once she gets older, there will be no more of that. It just takes one nip in the wrong place for the play fight to go south.

The question was more about what area your dog tries to bite. What are the trates of an apbt when fighting, do they bite anywhere or do they go for the kill shot around the neck?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
As a pup not all bulldogs are this way, pups play, there is the day they "turn on" and it is over for playtime period. As I said Odie, who is fullColby, loves to play right now. I stop it at any sign of him or the other dog getting to rough.

And it seems to me that you are asking for a specific reason? Just don't let her play with anyone and if you plan on doing anything other than what is legal this thread should be shut down. I am not sayin you are going too, but all bulldogs are different and no the neck does not mean the dog is more vicious.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not planning on doing anything illegal <-- I cant bare to see animals in pain or any type of animal abuse.

I was just wondering about the characteristics of the apbt and if my JRT has changed it. As I said above, I noticed certain breeds of dogs will play fight and go for the neck, been new to the apbt family, I was just curious :)

Thanks for the info though, good to know that dogs are not necessarily more vicious if they do go for the neck.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
No it does not mean that, and as I said didn't mean you were, is good to ask questions. And no the APBT goes for anything it can generally get it's mouth on just do NOT be surprised that in a fewm oths they do NOT get along ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I let my dogs run together. When the female is feisty, she grabs the males back leg and trips him up...he's stronger and just pushes her away...but if he's playing too or annoyed he pins her to the ground and holds her muzzle shut or holds her throat ( I take this to mean ' I can kill you if I want to, so cut it out'). I'm always right there and don't let it get out of hand.

Just yesterday tho, the female surprised me, I let a neighbors 10 week old pup greet her...when the pup nipped my dogs muzzle, she bared her teeth and snapped at the pup. Guess I erroneously thought dogs have an innate tolerance for very young pups.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Just yesterday tho, the female surprised me, I let a neighbors 10 week old pup greet her...when the pup nipped my dogs muzzle, she bared her teeth and snapped at the pup. Guess I erroneously thought dogs have an innate tolerance for very young pups.
Every dog is different. Some don't like young pups because they can be annoying, just like any other young animal to their elders, lol.

But your girl responded appropriately. She snapped at the pup to tell it to knock it off, mind its manners, and greet dogs in a more appropriate way than nipping them on the muzzle.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Do you think if a dog goes for the neck more, it shows a more vicious dog?

What do apbt go for normally as well?

My JRT use to play with our neighbors Alsatian mix, and the Alsatian would 99% of the time go for the neck
No, not always. Some dogs are chest, legs and sometimes ear dogs. You cannot predict how ALL true APBTs or bully type breeds will fight. nor can you accuretly say that ALL neck dogs are vicious..it depends on that specific dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my pup likes to go for the neck, but my older one usually starts at the legs even when chasing the pup around. to me it feels like its a great way to teach the little one to not play too rough, she is usually pretty quick at reacting when he gets out of hand. play time its always supervised though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts