Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss for years now my boyfriends pitbull is progressively getting worse. It started off with a dry patch on the top of his head and behind his ears with a mild odor. He's been to to the vet dozens of times and tested for everything been given special shampoo and food...nothing works. At this current time his smell is unbearable to be around it actually makes me gag and the smell is back 1 day after he has a bath along with a coat of dust. We have to keep him locked in our laundry room at night and when we aren't home because he scratches all the time and leaves skin dust along with gluey looking skin pieces on the floor..almost like yeast. When u go into the laundry room the smell almost knocks me off my feet. I feel as we have tried everything and am now suffering because I have kids and this dog is going to ruin my home... I wouldn't even beable to give him away if I want too because who would want a dog that smells this bad and leaves skin dust all over the house
Has anyone had any problems like this or have any suggestions??

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Okay, well, the first thing you have to realize is that this dog isn't like this just to make you suffer and ruin your home. Something is going on here, that neither you or the dog can help. You just have to figure out what it is.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with advice about skin problems. Just wanted to throw that in.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Have you tried a grain free food like taste of the wild, blue buffalo, natural balance, wellness, etc? Have you tried any supplements such as fish oils like salmon? I actually feel very bad for your dog because it sounds as though he is suffering and I know you said you have taken him to the vet but sometimes its best to do your own research as you are by coming here. Hopefully we can help you help him ;) I hate to see a dog suffer :( poor thing. Give us as much info as you can so we can try to help you :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
really it could be a yeast infection of the skin or a staff infection that is what I am leaning towards and it could be allergy related but without knowing what hey vets did it is hard to say. I agree no dog deserves to suffer but at least now maybe we can give them some things to try. Could be sarcoptic mange too! It can make the skin smell like that and the dog will itch like crazy. You also have a hard time finding it on a skin scraping and most the time it is mistaken for allergies. The skin could develop a secondary skin infection due to the itching from the dog. I am interested to hear back from them so we can help!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
really it could be a yeast infection of the skin or a staff infection that is what I am leaning towards and it could be allergy related but without knowing what hey vets did it is hard to say. I agree no dog deserves to suffer but at least now maybe we can give them some things to try. Could be sarcoptic mange too! It can make the skin smell like that and the dog will itch like crazy. You also have a hard time finding it on a skin scraping and most the time it is mistaken for allergies. The skin could develop a secondary skin infection due to the itching from the dog. I am interested to hear back from them so we can help!
I agree, but geez I would hope it's not mange after all the vet trips they have made. I would hope that the vet would have diagnosed that. I do hope we hear back from Jenny so we can help. It could be as simple as a diet change to a premium quality kibble and some fish oil to help him with allergies and skin issues. Also, Jenny post up some pictures if you can so we can have a clearer picture of his issues :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys thanks for the feedback..
He has been eating natural balance for years now...
He has been tested for mites a few times and I believe my boyfriend told me he was once tried on medication for mange and it didn't work...also been on steroids for the itching in the past but that is only a temporary solution...the most recent diagnosis we got was that he thyroid isn't working properly so. Ow he is on medication for that!! My boyfriend thinks also that mange is the problem. We have not tried salmon oil so that is something we should try to help...and don't get me wrong I know my dog isn't 'here to smell up my house' but one could see the frustrations after many failed attempts and spending a fortune as well
I will post some pictures...he also has little wort like bumps on his arm as the vet told us that it is 'just an outcome of his skin irritations' ahhhhh :(

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Here is some info and explains why it gets missed by vets.

Trying to make a diagnosis of canine scabies can be very frustrating. The standard method is to perform a skin scraping and then identify the mite under the microscope. Unfortunately, on average, only twenty percent of the infected dogs will show Sarcoptes mites on any given scraping. Therefore, if a dog has a positive skin scraping, the diagnosis is confirmed but a negative scraping does not rule out sarcoptic mange. Therefore, most diagnoses are made based on history and response to treatment for scabies.

Canine Scabies: Sarcoptic Mange in Dogs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.